ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL announces partnership with RFinder - The Worldwide Repeater Directory

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL announces partnership with RFinder - The Worldwide Repeater Directory

The ARRL has established an agreement with RFinder, the creator of a web and app-based directory of Amateur Radio repeaters worldwide, to be its preferred online resource of repeater frequencies.

RFinder is a steadily growing worldwide repeater directory with over 50,000 repeater listings in over 170 countries. An annual $9.99 subscription to RFinder provides access to repeater data through its collection of apps for Android and Apple devices, and from nearly any web browser.

With one subscription, users have access to repeater data worldwide from computing devices on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Apple iOS, and popular GPS systems. A growing list of third-party memory programming applications support radio programming. RFinder provides integrated support for EchoLink on Android and iPhone, allowing users a one-click connection to repeaters worldwide from the directory.

“The RFinder team is honored to be ARRL's partner, providing the very latest online repeater information and directory technology for radio amateurs in the United States,” said Bob Greenberg, W2CYK, creator of RFinder — The Worldwide Repeater Directory. “We look forward to working with ARRL to make RFinder even better for US hams.”

ARRL will receive a portion of each annual subscription to RFinder.
    US radio amateurs who subscribe to RFinder will have online access to its entire worldwide directory while supporting ARRL.

ARRL will discontinue its own products that had supported digital listings of repeater data including the TravelPlus for Repeaters™ software and its own apps. ARRL is working with RFinder on a plan to migrate existing ARRL app users to RFinder, in order to support remaining subscription terms.

“Rest assured that the printed ARRL Repeater Directory, updated and published each year, will continue to be produced,” said ARRL Marketing Manager Bob Inderbitzen, NQ1R. Inderbitzen explained that The ARRL Repeater Directory, available in pocket-sized and spiral bound desktop editions, is especially popular with new radio amateurs, mobile and portable operators, and public service volunteers who rely on the printed copies when they are offline and on the go.

ARRL’s source of repeater data for The ARRL Repeater Directory is voluntarily contributed information from repeater owners and frequency coordinators in the US and Canada. RFinder, on the other hand, assembles its data from worldwide sources, including repeater owners, national and regional coordinating bodies, and carefully reviewed crowd-sourced contributions. RFinder uses dynamic data, allowing users to access listings that regularly reflect new, updated, revised, and deleted information.

RFinder will have an exhibit at the upcoming Orlando HamCation®, this year’s ARRL National Convention, February 12-14, at the Central Florida Fair and Expo Park in Orlando, Florida. “We are excited and proud to announce our partnership during the ARRL National Convention!” Greenberg said.

ARRL is the most recent national Amateur Radio society to establish a partnership with RFinder. RFinder is the official repeater directory of Radio Amateurs of/du Canada, the Radio Society of Great Britain, the Deutscher Amateur Radio Club (Germany), and others.

Subscribe to RFinder by visiting http://subscribe.rfinder.net from your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or from your Android smartphone or tablet. Those without an Apple or Android device can subscribe using the link at the bottom of http://subscribe.rfinder.net/.

[​IMG]

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2016/february/arrl_announces_partnership_with_rfinder.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What if you don't have any of those devices and just a laptop PC?????

K2WH

3. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy...just go to http://subscribe.rfinder.net Your subscription will work with RT Systems, CHIRP, web.rfinder.net and routes.rfinder.net and RadioBuddy on iOS!

NU4R likes this.
  4. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this mean Rfinder will be included in the print copy of the ARRL directory? ARRL directory already has a FREE app connected to a paid copy of the print directory.

5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

another proof that the work of the ARRL is now basically irrelevant....
    anyone remember those little books they used to publish for the repeaters.... outdated before they hit the press...

6. W2CYK

yea; during the sunset of the ARRL RD Apps, we will honor the licenses included in the books...once they expire, you just subscribe for $9.99.

7. W2CYK

And that is why they chose to migrate to RFinder...our data will be constantly updated year round...not yet implemented but soon...

8. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

As soon as I read this, I subscribed.
    Almost every listing near me is either wrong in call sign or no longer on the air.
    Where does this information come from? Even the printed ARRL repeater directory is more accurate.

9. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish that some day we'd have the ability to flag "paper repeaters." There is a guy near me who has had repeaters registered for two decades that have never been on the air. Yet, they are on every directory. It's a joke.

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys really need to try RepeaterBook.. It's free and anyone can submit corrected information at any time.

I've nothing against the RFinder people, and don't mean to bash ARRL, but I really think RepeaterBook is a better product. (I've nothing to gain by promoting it).

M3NQG and KD8DVR like this.
  11. KB0HAW

KB0HAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use RepeaterBook dot com for free.

M3NQG and KD8DVR like this.
  12. W2CYK

See the previous entry...
    LOL Thanks Matt for bringing that up...yes, anyone can can submit adds/deletes/changes to RFinder...I see you have never subscribed to us, so I am not sure how you can make any comparisons at all...in otw, you do not have ANY credibility in what you say since you have never used RFinder. So thanks for stopping by! Go download it and you will see the differences in our complete system from any other software and database. LOL I know you can't help it...

13. W2CYK

Why would you bring that up here and spam our announcement...LOL I know you can't help it...

14. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

RFinder has a lot more features than RepeaterBook. You really have to watch the videos to see what it can do.
    Both are excellent products. Error corrections are addressed quicker with RFinder.
    Perhaps this will make the ARRL directory more accurate and up to date.

15. W8JAA

W8JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL , with todays modern radios its just so much easier to program ALL repeater frequencies into the memory channels then all you have to do is hit scan, when a active repeater is found just do a simple PL search. Program your radio once and you good to go most anywhere . LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL If you have never tried this , how can you knock it LOL.
    LOL Also most states have there designated repeater council for coordination and if you go to their website you can get the information for free.... LOL again
    LOL , I think it is a requirement that all responses be prefixed with LOL !!