ad: M2Ant-1

New award scheme for portable operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0LMK, Apr 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0LMK

M0LMK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Amateur Radio Portable Operators Club (ARPOC) unveils a new award scheme that encourages operators to get out and about.

Spring has arrived, and the Amateur Radio Portable Operators Club has launched a fun and exciting award scheme that’s been designed to encourage its members to take full advantage of their radio equipment.

Matthew Payne, M0LMK, from ARPOC said: “We hope that the award scheme encourages operators to get out in the fresh air with their radio equipment and enjoy the benefits that portable operating can bring as well as help with promoting the hobby to the public.”

Any licenced operator can take part in the award scheme and individuals can apply for and claim their personalised award certificates online. Downloadable certificates cost £2.00 each or are free for full members of ARPOC which costs just £5 a year. Funds raised from the award scheme go towards ensuring the scheme can be continued for many years to come.

There are a number of different award certificates that can be gained each with their own challenges. These include awards such as:

• Life’s A Beach
    • Portable Professional
    • Lighthouse Lurker
    • Operating Within Tent

While many licence holders have shacks at home and associated QRM issues, ARPOC want to encourage members to get out and about and experience the joys of operating a portable station away from the noise. The names of the awards themselves hint towards what situations and locations the members will experience when they work towards these certificates. For instance, a few trips to the seaside will be needed for the Life’s A Beach award, while members will have to travel to five other countries if they opt to work towards their European Sun Seeker award. This award tasks members with operating a station from two different beaches that are in no less than five different European countries. Operators will also need to complete a standard exchange with at least one station at each location.

Once members have successfully completed their tasks, they can apply for the awards they have worked towards. All of these new ARPOC awards are available to download. That means these prized certificates can be downloaded and printed off quickly and easily, ensuring members are able to enjoy them almost immediately.

More information about ARPOC and this new award scheme can be found on the website www.arpoc.org.

2. KB3PHL

KB3PHL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a great idea, We should do something similar over here in the States. I wonder, are there any affiliated versions of the Amateur Radio Portable Operators Club here in the U.S. ?

3. M0LMK

It's a new club that is open to world wide membership so jump on in!

4. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to their website. Not much information I could find about any particulars about the awards.

-NX6ED-

5. M0LMK

Thanks for the feedback. The details of each award are in the specific award forum but you are right, it can be difficult to find.

I'll create a new page detailing all of the awards and have a link to it on the main menu. That should make it much clearer.

6. KB0DD

KB0DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a great idea and I need the exercise! I love to operate portable and most of my equipment is geared to that end. I will definitely join your organization. Thanks for putting this together. 73/KD0YSC

7. KF5VDX

KF5VDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a great way to promote getting out of the normal shack grind and into the wonderful world outside! Portable ops are a great way to combine two activities such as radio and fishing, radio and hiking, radio and family/friends at the park etc, etc..
    Everyone can operate portable with a little planning, does not need to be a dx expedition just a simple antenna and radio setup. I really enjoy setting at the beach or waters edge working dx. Saltwater and a simple vertical are a easy way to add some new contacts, and high power is not needed. A QRP wattage rig to extend battery life and a simple antenna is all you need......give it a try....get some sun....enjoy the outdoors!

8. M0LMK

Thanks both. I've been receiving some fantastic feedback about the award scheme and hope to issue some more certificates soon!

9. KD4RDS

KD4RDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any members in the US yet?

Do you have a currency exchange provision built in to it, or is that on a case by case basis?

10. M0LMK

We have a handful of US based members already.

The payment system should take care of the currency conversion. Please let me know if it does not.

Matt
    M0LMK

11. G4SDM

G4SDM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great idea.
    One thought. I have recently been showing interest in SOTA (Summits On The Air). I say interest as I have yet to scale any hills and if I do Snowdon I might take the train! Perhaps there might be some mutual interest between these to 'clubs'
    Steve
    G4SDM

12. NE8SC

NE8SC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got signed up! Took several times but I finally made it. Too early in the morning and not enough coffee yet. Looking forward to exploring the site.

Steve
    NE8SC

13. WA5SAT

WA5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Right up my alley! You will be hearing from me!
    Steve WA5SAT Texas:cool:

14. KD8PFB

KD8PFB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been operating QRP portable for several year now, and can attest to the enjoyment of being outdoors and making contacts. My local club does a monthly "QRP in the Park" from April thru October, changing parks each month. We get a lot of park visitors curious about what we're doing, and this gives us an opportunity to promote Amateur Radio to the general public.

Last October I participated in a three-day canoe trip with 8 other guys, and took my QRP Go Box and micro OCF antenna. Made domestic and DX contacts from the river's edge, to the amazement of my non-ham friends. They still talk about the Puerto Rico contact on 20m with 5 watts from Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA.

I'll check out the website for sure.

15. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I joined and am looking forward to doing more portable ops this year and seeing this group grow.