ad: elecraft

Marijuana grow-lights cause problems for ham-radio operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Marijuana grow-lights cause problems for ham-radio operators

The marijuana industry and Uncle Sam haven't been on the same page for 80 years, but these days, in a unique bit of weirdness, it's not the U.S. Department of Justice that could create a problem for pot growers: It's the Federal Communications Commission.

The FCC regulates the country's electronic communications, which is relevant because it turns out that, bizarrely, light ballasts used in the growing of cannabis emit radio-frequency interference that screws up amateur-radio transmissions being sent by local ham operators, a licensed, legally protected practice.

In a March 12 letter to the commission, the American Radio Relay League, the national association for amateur radio, complained that interference from grow lights was greatest in the medium- and high-frequency bands between 1.8 and 30 megahertz, and that it comes in no small amount.

"The level of conducted emissions from this [Lumatek LK1000 grow light] is so high that, as a practical matter, one RF ballast operated in a residential environment would create preclusive interference to Amateur radio HF communications throughout entire neighborhoods," wrote general counsel Christopher Imlay to acting chief of the FCC Spectrum Enforcement Division John Poutasse in the hopes the agency would halt sales.

Read the full Colorado Springs Independent article
    http://www.csindy.com/coloradosprin...s-for-ham-radio-operators/Content?oid=2893921

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Join us on Facebook

2. G4SKO

G4SKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was subjected to the RFI from these lamps some time back, tried to reason with the guy and got nowhere until I involved OFCOM. They were very helpful and threatened him with a warrant, the RFI disappeared the next day.

3. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently decided to increase my internet speed with AT+T. They sent me a new modem and the new speeds are great. I also found out that it put an S9 signal between 3 and 5 MHz on my radio. A solid S9 of white noise across that spread. I tried the aluminum foil around the case of the modem, but I suspect that the leads are radiating too. FYI The model number is 3600 HGV 2 wire Gateway. The funny part is the fact that it has an FCC ID of PGR2W3800HP. I wonder what the FCC Spec is for interference ?

4. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Try shielded cat5 cable, to shielded connectors..

5. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

If I have my facts and dates correct, Oregonians of a certain age will legally be able to each grow up to 4 plants starting in July of this year. I fully expect to have noise problems in my neighborhood; my neighbors are already chomping at the bit to roll their own...

...and I'm sure they could care less about interference to Amateur Radio. Dare I say it will take a 'joint' effort by all hams to win this battle!

73 John Kill 7 Fat Doobies

6. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Really?
    That's all we needed. A bunch of self-righteous hams jumping on the anti-cannabis bandwaggon.

7. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

The only pot here is my AF and RF Gain controls ;)

But the battle is against the noise producing lights, not those lighting up...

8. NX4GT

NX4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so much. Just practical concern for a potential wide-spread new interference source.

9. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Find the offenders electrical transformer and rip it with a large caliber bullet.

10. N8AGW

N8AGW Ham Member QRZ Page

Noisy pot light.

There is nothing wrong with growing pot, it has many medicinal purposes, although I would bet you that the ballast, and lights are made in China. Why not American made, American grown, keep it all here at home.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  11. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For every grow light warming marijuana plants, there are a hundred wall warts, tv's, computers, network devices, dog fences, security lights and other consumer electronic crap spewing interference onto the bands. If the feds give a rip about interference, they'll attack these first rather than looking for back door ways to get at those who might grow some bud in their basement. Much ado....

12. W4HTP

W4HTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone here happen to have a picture of what grow light RFI looks like on a band scope?

13. AH6OY

AH6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

Had it explained to me how many of the lights bought are over the internet and not subject to the FCC compliance regulations to be sold in the united states as retail items even though many will have a placard stating they are compliant. My comment was that's miserable coverage allowing internet sales to be out of compliance standards.

For the internet modem if it is cable modem look for cable leakage. The way internet speeds as so great is the actual band width is say 7mhz-300mhz like time warner uses for cable tv and internet lines using coax. If there is a leak in your house or even a power pole where the coax cable connects you are going to get interference. If it is the modem possibly getting a ground on the cases internal ground and or your aluminum foil.

14. KD4LYH

KD4LYH Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio and consumer electronics will never get along, never have and never will. Just my 2 cents...

15. WF7A

WF7A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a great example of why hams should be ambassadors: They should politely go to their neighbor's house, introduce themselves as hams, bring attention to the problem where the neighbor's pot-growing lights could potentially draw the wrath of the FCC/the feds, then offer to fix the problem in exchange for some weed. It's a win-win!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.