ad: chuckmartin

HamRadioNow: CSI:Dayton (featuring D-STAR and the Dongles)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    HAMRADIONOW.tv

Episode 159: CSI: Dayton
    featuring D-STAR and the Dongles

<big><big><small><small><small></small></small></small></big></big>
    CSI: Dayton? OK, I admit it, that's click-bait. Oh, we do have CSI... Connect Systems, Inc. and CEO Jerry Wanger, who's little company is poised to make the first D-STAR HT outside of ICOM. I talked to him in Episode 138 MotoTRBOSTAR. This was Jerry's first trip to the Hamvention, and we got an update on progress of his CS-7000.

D-STAR and the Dongles isn't the latest hot music group on YouTube. Wish it was! The D-STAR part covers my quick chat with one of the D-STAR "originals," Jim McClellan N5MIJ. Jim appeared in Digital Voice for Amateur Radio, and MC'd several D-STAR forums at Dayton, a few of which are on HamRadioNow.

And "the Dongles" points to DVDongle creator Robin Cutshaw AA4RC, who peered over his Google Glass to show me some of the products he's developing.

And finally, I lash out at someone who dared to make a comment on my last QRZ post that somehow rubbed me the wrong way.

And good news on the DCC Video KICKSTARTER - with about a day to do, it's comfortably over the goal. You might have time to pad it a bit more if you see this before Thursday, 11:59 PM. I'll spend it wisely (daddy needs a new camera before the trip). Looks like we're going to Austin!

Here's Episode 159:

[video=youtube;Q2WWxFpybe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WWxFpybe8&list=UUxqXFK9ETC5CWEdDD-_HpqA[/video]

Watch all the rest of our programs on our web page:
    HAMRADIONOW
    .tv

HamRadioNow is supported by viewer contributions
    If you enjoy the programs, visit www.HamRadioNow.tv and "click the pig"

[​IMG]

THANK YOU to all our contributors!

2. G8KTX

G8KTX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a '60s pop group. :D

3. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good show, Gary. I think a show showing those opposed to HR-4969 would round things out nicely. But what do I know ;)

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I certainly hope that the CSI CS7000 is not vaporware. I guess we'll find out this fall. If it's really around $200 and works on UHF where our local DSTAR repeater is, they can preorder a couple for me.

5. KF9EM

KF9EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not impressed with their DMR radio at all. Spend the money and get a Motorola!

6. KU7PDX

KU7PDX Ham Member QRZ Page

It will be interesting when the CSI CS7000 is released. Now that amateurs are doing upgrades on their D-STAR gear they bought 7 years go, there have been some great deals on eBay. I just picked up a perfect condition IC-91AD (dual-band with D-STAR installed) for $180 and I've been watching used D-STAR gear selling for $150-200 fairly consistently.

My guess is that we'll see another surge in D-STAR activity within the next year or so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.