ad: Flexradio-1

wAVEgUIDES pODcAST - New kid on the block

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE2XPL, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VE2XPL

VE2XPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello friends, podcasters, amateurs of all ages,

I wish to present 'the new kid on the block' in the world of ham radio
    podcasting: wAVEgUIDES podcast - hAM rADIO wITH a tWIST

Each week, the wAVEgUIDES pODcAST team bring you the very best in ham
    radio "info-tainment". Our podcast is recorded live every Thursday
    evening on the SouthCARS T.N.T. Open-Forum Net (20:00 E.S.T. on EchoLink
    (node 96140), *SCARS* conference server, operated by the South Coast
    Amateur Radio Service - over 10,000 members strong).

A subject of interest to the ham radio community is presented by the host,
    followed by an open-forum discussion of that topic with the listeners.

This net has been in operation since September 2009, and selected episodes
    have been available to our members for download since that time. Due to
    the popularity of the net & its podcasts, we have decided to offer these
    to the world.

Our open-forum setting is fun, friendly, informative, and very
    interactive. This format makes for a unique podcasting experience.
    Please join in the fun as often as you can.

http://www.waveguides.ca

For more information about SouthCARS ( the South Coast Amateur Radio
    Service - Home of the wAVEgUIDES pODcAST ), please visit:
    http://www.voip.southcars.com

73 and happy haming

Pete Landry, VE2XPL
    Executive Producer,
    wAVEgUIDES pODcAST and SouthCARS TNT Open-Forum

</pre>

2. K4GHL

K4GHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a kid wrote it

Just my personal opinion, but the way you alternated caps and lower case in the post, I think its childish and definitely not something I want to deal with. I left stuff that looked like that long before AOL stopped sending out free CD's in everything.

Good luck with your venture, let me know when yall grow up and I might check it out

Gary
    K4GHL

3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I agree, looks like a wannabe hacker site listing.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    K2HAT

4. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

He accidentally had the Caps Lock on. Then again, maybe it was no accident......

5. VE2XPL

Thanks for writing...

Hello to y'all and thanks for taking the time to reply to our post.

The aLTERNATING cAPS in our podcast title was no accident. This was done in an artistic effort to stand out from the podcast and web crowd.

Despite this fact, and realizing that we cannot please all of the people all of the time, we hope that you will take the time to listen to our content, (either live or via podcast) and resist the temptation to judge our podcast ''by it's cover''. Our staff is dedicated, professional, and bring quality content to each episode.

And as for growing up, we don't think that will ever happen. ;-)

73 and have a happy and safe holiday.
    Please feel free to write us anytime: info@waveguides.ca

Pete Landry, VE2XPL
    Executive Producer, wAVEgUIDES pODCAST and the T.N.T. Open-Forum

6. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

You need an RSS feed for the podcast itself, so I can drop it in my aggregator, and grab the MP3 for the podcast :)

Yes, I see the RSS feed for your entries for each podcast, but set up a feed just for the MP3's...

7. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

We all were kids once..And I agree with you...

But lets NOT make Mountains out of Molehills shall we!!!:D

8. VE2XPL

mountains vs. molehills

Mountains are good, so are molehills. I did not realize that a simple upper/lower case decision would stimulate such a debate, but any publicity is good publicity after all.

I hope you all have a chance to check out our podcast: http://www.waveguides.ca

Pete
    VE2 XPL

9. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well...

First, I am quickly leaving a site that changes to another top level URL whenever I click on a menu item or link and leave the landing page for another domain. To most, this signals a security risk or sloppy web design. Strike one.

Darktheme styling. Did you think about the intended demographic this is supposed to serve? If it is a mainline ham audience, dark themes are not appropriate due to readability--magnified tenfold when attempting to access on a mobile device such as a smartphone. Massive fail on universal access. But if this is intended for a small niche of friends...

Fully agree with the others on the HaXoR style headings. Again, not much care for the expectations of the mainline amateur radio demographic. Very adolescent looking and a turn off--also signaling to many possible security risks.

Other than that... :p

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  10. KC2UGV

Yes, the URL skew is a problem. You need to change the wordpress domain to "waveguides.ca" so all the internal links resolve properly :)

11. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

AE1PT said it much more eloquently than I could.

I agree, especially about the dark background websites,
    I may visit them once, or twice; and then they are added to my not friendly to users websites list.

73 de K2HAT

12. K4FH

K4FH Ham Member QRZ Page

iTunes

I did a search in iTunes and could not find the podcast. I may have searched wrong.

It would be good if you could register your podcast there. Why? if you register your cast there then I can easily download it via the iTouch itself. If you do not then I have to download it on my computer then use the iTunes program to copy it to the iTouch. This is a pain since I rarely connect the iTouch to my computer to use iTunes.

Chris

13. K4GHL

K4GHL Ham Member QRZ Page

I stand by my opinion

..."but any publicity is good publicity after all"... Not necessarily.. Just ask the folks who made the Edsel, or the US Govt. I can not see HOW this made it to the main page, and would really like to see it moved to another forum.

I have about had it with folks who think that anything that has ever happened in their life has a bearing on Amateur Radio and communications. Music and radio waves are both heard over speakers, and they are both transmitted with a transmitter, but beyond that, the similarities end.

I agree strongly with AE1PT that if I go to a site and the URL changes on me, or has pop ups/unders, I am history and never knowingly visiting that site again. Way too many trojans and viruses are spread that way in very short order.

As for your "...stand out from the podcast and web crowd..." it looks like you are geared straight for the teenybopper crowd and not folks who are serious about amateur radio and emergency communications. Just picture the FCC doing that on their website and how unprofessional it winds up looking. From what others have said, your site has a dark hard to read background, and thats a great way to hide code and hide links that you cant read yet wind up clicking on.

Mods, please do something with this post and lets try to keep the main page on a more mature level. Thanks

14. KC2UGV

Thank you for dictating who should be allowed to get into ham radio. I'm sure we all appreciate it. Because we would never want the seed of ham radio interest planted into a "teenybopper", because that would be the death of ham radio.

15. VE2XPL

opinions and ideas are good...keep'em comin'

WOW! What a great discussion.

Let me address some key points from previous posts:

1. This thread is on the main page for good reason, it has stimulated some interesting discussion (which, in turn, has kept it at the top of the posts for 3 days now! COOL!) Your comments have given us many ideas on how to improve our product. Freedom of speech & ideas is the foundation of both of our great nations.

2. Our podcast is related directly to Ham radio & other technical pursuits of intesest to ham radio (most hams have many hobbies & interests)

3. The URL skew has been addressed. This will no longer be an issue.

4. Our target audience is ANYONE who is interested in listening: old, young, new, experienced, happy-go-lucky or cynical. We want to make ham radio more appealing to the young-at-heart.

5. Our pODcAST is already well established. It's been around within our club (10,ooo members worldwide) for 18 months now, and our listener base keeps growing. So why not make it accessible to all (yes...even folks who are serious about amateur radio and emergency communications)

6. The issue of the dark backround is being discussed by our team (readability on mobile devices - something we had not taken into consideration)...thank you to those who brought that to our attention. Keep in mind however that it's just as easy to have hidden links on any color backround (not just black)

7. We will register on I-tunes shortly, to make the pODcAST more accessible.

I hope you will all take the time to listen: http://www.waveguides.ca

Any feedback is appreciated: info@waveguides.ca

Thanks again and again to all who take the time to post about our pODcAST!!! This will help improve the quality of our product.

de
    Pete, VE2XPL :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.