ad: elecraft

Ham Arrested at NC Airport

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4PG, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Through a "technical" error, the previous thread was accidentally deleted. For those who wish to continue to discuss this issue, feel free to respond. Here is an article reporting the "incident."

Link

We apologize for the confusion. Post away!!

............Bob W4PG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  2. AE8K

AE8K Ham Member QRZ Page

$100,000 bail for a maximum 4 month sentence? My previous notes on the subject were deleted. Based in the reports, it could likely be K8JSM, Joseph S McVey, although I'm not sure enough information is available to be 100%, but for me, 99% is good enough.

K

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what the license plate in the photo shows.

4. AE8K

AE8K Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  5. K7JEM

6. AE8K

AE8K Ham Member QRZ Page

You would think that ham radio license plates would make one thing twice about being an idiot, you know, because it is an easy internet search to your home address!

7. K7JEM

The guy didn't go there to be an idiot, he probably already was before the event. He stopped at some altercation at the side of the road a few months ago while armed.

People need to understand the laws and regulations from state to state. This is a minor incident being blown out of proportion because a whacker wanted to be armed in a place he should have not been.

In NC they have a law that they can use for about any display of a weapon, regardless of them being an "open carry" state or not.

Joe

8. N4SDO

N4SDO Ham Member QRZ Page

It has to be him they said his name, and QTH in the story, K8JSM on QRZ matches the report.

9. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unless I'm mistaken, NC has a concealed weapon permit and IS NOT an open carry state. If it's like here in Florida, the only time you show your weapon is when you intend to shoot someone. AND, you better SHOOT someone or you are going to jail. Showing a gun here in Florida to "scare" someone off is a big no-no and will get you slammer time.

............Bob

10. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NC does have a concealed carry permit, but it is also a open carry state as well. You get to choose.

11. K4AX

12. K7JEM

They didn't get him on that, they got him on this:

13. K4AX

Yea I know, I was just responding to W4PG's post about open carry.

I'd assume they got him on the public terror law since there is no law against open carry.

14. KC5VDJ

KC5VDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

More than enough. Ham-related pictures of the kid match his music pages. Also matching other details such as his attendence at a university in West Virginia.

Read the new article that Bob posted in the head to this thread. The judge said bail or no bail, the kid stays locked up. I just wonder what they aren't telling? I have a few ideas of what they might have found or what he might have said. It fits the profile.

Not all hams are nuts, but MANY nuts are in ham radio.

In fact, given all of the crap on the air, I'm just wondering some nights as I listen which one will try to be the new John Hinkley Jr, or the new Lee Harvey Oswald...

You've heard it. I've heard it. We've all heard it.

I bet many of the people posting in the ex-thread here may have even participated in the crap on the air I speak of.

I could speak on the subject of loyalty, and the people who wanted to push absolute loyalty to the President in a time of war, but if you listen to the same people today, you'd think they were working for bin-Laden.

15. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel safer knowing there is one less Classical Pianist walking the streets.
    Long live Rock and Roll.
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.