ad: M2Ant-1

CollegeARC.com Needs Your Help

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB1LQD, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ members,

We have created a new interactive web 2.0 website which features college amateur radio clubs! This website is located at www.collegearc.com, we aim to provide a great resource to share information about their activities to the amateur radio community and the general public. Many of the features and pre-release content has been written, we are finishing a few minor details and will release the website at the end of August.

Our goal is to provide a way for college clubs to collaborate together, provide prospective college students with up-to-date information, and provide alumni with information about their former clubs. Our website also informs the general community about college club activities, operations, and related information. Collegearc.com will supply information to help new clubs form, promote membership, and increase club activities. We intend to bring the college amateur radio community together in a way that has not been tried before.

Bryce and I are posting this news article to ask the QRZ.com community for a little bit of help. We have searched the internet for many college clubs, finding many e-mail addresses and contact information for dozens of clubs. We sent out an e-mail a over a month ago explaining the website and that we would like to hear back from the clubs if they were interested. Since then we have heard back from a few clubs but many have not replied at all, their contact information was not correct, or is outdated.

We ask the QRZ.com members to help us find college amateur radio club's that we may not have found correct contact information for. If you know a member of a college club, let them know about our website and e-mail us there contact information. Each club has an initial web page as well as the ability to create new content.

We can be reached at clubs@collegearc.com.

Sincerely,

Brent Salmi, KB1LQD
    Bryce Salmi, KB1LQC

2. G1GEV

G1GEV Ham Member QRZ Page

Site is "Down for Maintainance" ??

3. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

As stated in the article the website has not been released yet. We are still trying to get it "up to par" for being launched in August, closer to the start of the academic year for most colleges and universities. Even though the website is closed for the time-being we are asking for help to contact college clubs so we may add the initial content and set up more clubs with content to start with. The QRZ community will absolutely be notified when the website is opened. Thank you to those who have responded and please give us a hand if you are involved with a college club, have been, or know someone who is.

Sincerely,

Bryce Salmi
    KB1LQC

4. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KF7CG

KF7CG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Luck with Tough Cause

I will say good work, keep going, and I think that this will be a good idea.

Now I will give you the bad news why many of the college clubs didn't respond. Many no longer exist! I know the Central Florida State College had its club forced out, and I have heard that others have faced the same fate.

There even was a thread on here better than a year ago about Central Florida State. I am I glad that I left that state! My degree is from the University of South Florida and I grew up there and I am still glad I left.

KF7CG

6. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W3EAX

I pinged the University of Maryland station at College Park on your behalf.
    (I am a past president at W3EAX)

Will follow through with a few shouts on their local repeater.

One problem you might be up against is summer break.

But good luck.

[​IMG]

http://w3eax.umd.edu/

7. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your comments! Any help is greatly appreciated! As for school clubs not existing anymore and such, we understand that is the sad truth but many are still alive out there. Bryce and I have been playing with this idea for a while now and now that it is actually coming together we are seeing many possibilities.

Yes, summer is a bit of a hurdle as members are not checking their club e-mails and such. This is one reason we are asking all of you to help out and people may know club members and the best ways to reach them. There are only a handful of very active clubs on the air, I've heard many during this past school year and even talked to a few! It may be a challenge to find the clubs that are active but we are determined to keep growing, helping others "re-ignite" or start new clubs.

Thanks for the e-mails and responses, we are keeping track of them and following through. Keep 'em coming!

8. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alas, I no longer see G2PI listed as a club at my alma mater, Loughborough University. It was once the oldest college ham radio club in the UK, even older than Cambridge (G6UW), but apparently no more.

73 de Alun, G8VUK/N3KIP

9. N3OX

N3OX Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP College Clubs if too few members...

There's not very much interest in a lot of 'em. I think a few manage to be very active but one thing that happens is a lack of people to maintain 'em.

I was a member, and one year, president (largely by default) of Clarkson U.'s K2CC club. There was essentially no activity. Even I found other things to do...

Not a whole lot going on around W3EAX last I checked. Again, some broken stuff and too few people to get things going. N3CA put in a SS effort in 2006 (this was after I dropped out, Ph.D. takes precedence, and I have a good home station anyway), and I think his 3830 comments sum up the experience I've had:

http://lists.contesting.com/_3830/2006-11/msg02285.html

Basically, there was a bunch of stuff to fix before much could happen on HF ... a flurry of optimistic planning usually fizzled out later. I think a good vibrant university club probably needs to have many more members spread over a range of years than the ones I was in, for the sake of maintenance and continuity. I know there are some clubs that have very strong activity.

Maybe I'm just a slacker.

:)

Dan

10. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

11. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

tamu amateur radio

w5ac.org
    site under construction

12. W4HLN

W4HLN Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KB9TMP

KB9TMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: CollageARC.com

Indiana University has an active club. Here is the URL for their site. http://www.indiana.edu/~k9iu/ The K9IU repeater has IRLP so you should have an easy time talking to someone local.

14. KD4UKW

KD4UKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Georgia Tech

W4AQL at Georgia Tech, celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2010!

http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/w4aql/

The club is small but active. It hosted the Atlanta Radio Club (also about to celebrate 100 years) for a combined Field Day this summer.

Andy Dickerson
    KD4UKW
    Atlanta, GA

15. WD0CMB

WD0CMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.