ad: LZQSLprint-1

Special Event idea: Major League Baseball Stadiums and Special Call Sign Event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9KDE, Jul 24, 2009.

?

Do you think Hams and MLB can pull this off?

1. yes

67 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. no

58 vote(s)
    46.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K9KDE

K9KDE Guest

Ham operators and baseball. They go together like QSL cards and baseball
    cards .

I have a pitch, an idea. I would like to throw my idea out there for
    someone to hit a home run with. Someone that may (or may not) have
    connections with Major League Baseball.

Pick a weekend, any weekend during the regular baseball season.

There are 30 Major League ballparks in North America. Give out 30
    special call signs to 30 hams or radio clubs. With special permission
    from MLB, each one sets up in the parking lot of their favorite team. 15
    stadiums would have games that weekend and 15 would be empty. Fans would be encourage to stop by and see a ham station operate.

Hams would try to work as many “stadiums” as possible. Cool
    certificates, QSL cards, etc to follow.

This is an idea born out of my love for baseball and ham radio. If you
    are interested in pursuing this idea, please go for it. I don't know
    enough about special events and contests so please feel free to take
    this and run with it.

73s, Henry K9KDE, Chicago, Illinois (near Wrigley Field) henry@k9kde.com

2. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Cubbies have always been my favorite team. Unfortunately the best "special event" callsign would be reserved for the NY Yankees. The Yankees call would be W1N & the Cubs would be N0WIN..........The Cubs were so, so close a few years ago. Thanks Steve Bartman!!! :) :)

Tom KC0W

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  3. KB3LIX/SK2023

KB3LIX/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I was NOT a party of the following, BUT:

It is my understanding that a group of radio clubs in the Pittsburgh
    area attempted to do a special event station setup for the All Star
    Game when it was held in Pittsburgh a few years ago.

The group hit a BRICK wall and the event did not happen because
    Major League Baseball would NOT sanction the event, and the event
    sponsors were not permitter to use or refer to the terms
    All Star Game, Major League Basesall and other copyrighted and
    proprietary terms and slogans owned by Major League Baseball.

Good Luck.

This idea is one that I would NOT support and would NOT participate in
    and I am a BIG FAN of Special Event stations.

I have even done my OWN SE station a few years back.
    It was for the National Pike Festival along US RT 40
    in Washington County Pennsylvania.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was peripherally involved in this on behalf of one of the local clubs the last time the All Star Game was in Pittsburgh (and I had a son working for the Pirates at the time) and we got nowhere.

The Pirates referred us to MLB. The MLB people lost interest when they couldn't figure out what we were asking, since we weren't "media." Basically, if they couldn't see immediate $$$, we were told to go down to the Mon Wharf of the Gateway Clipper Fleet, and take a long walk off a short pier.

We also tried to organize an Amateur Radio Night that year. Didn't take. Couldn't get enough hams interested in a Saturday evening game, even after finding one that didn't conflict with local hamfests, contests, or other events. Basically, those hams interested in baseball already had their tickets arranged...

Good luck.

And if someone in the Washington DC area wants to talk to someone on the Nationals, PM me. (No, my son no longer works for the Pirates... their front office doesn't know talent when it's literally right under their noses, but that's another story...)

5. K4RJJ

K4RJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Contact the ARC about prior participation

It's been a long time ago but I'm sure there is someone around that knows first hand knowledge of how the Atlanta Radio Club "covered" Hank Aarons record breaking HR. Anyone out there? I've only heard rumors of equipment donations from Kenwood etc. and that a station was set up at the old Fulton co stadium.

Anyone ever get a QSL card from Dale Murphy? I heard he was a ham but don't know the call.

Good luck. This would be fun!
    Ronny
    K4RJJ

6. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

MLB in their wisdom has slipped from the national pasttime to 3rd place behind the NFL and NBA. Which will overtake them next? Hockey? Soccer? Cribbage?

I sense that you may get further, have more fun and more success if you translate the whole idea (it is a good one) to the minor leagues. Unless you have find an 'insider' at MLB, it won't be worth their time. The minors tend to be more creative and hold more decision power locally.

Good luck - hope it sticks!!

7. KB3LIX/SK2023

KB3LIX/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I stand corrected.

Thanx Ron, I knew you were involved in some manner.
    If you didn't post something here, I was going to PM you
    so you could post the correct "skinny"

edit:
    I am surprized we got as much support for the Pittsburgh 250 project as we did. Seems like getting anything "going" around here is like pulling teeth.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  8. W7DKK

W7DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Handheld in the ballpark

Just curious, as a new Tech: Does anyone have any experience using a radio within the ballpark? (Say, to meet up with friends, let the XYL know you are working late, or brag on a win?) Does the staff object?

9. AJ4JD

AJ4JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I happen to be a Cubs fan too. I have to say though, I don't blame Bartman. There was an easy double play ball to Alex Rodriguez and he fouled that up. If you ask me it just wasn't meant to be. Oh well hopefully the second half this year will hold some promise. Go Cubs. :D

BTW I love this idea of a Stadium Special Event. I would love to work the different stadiums especially Wrigley. That would be a prize QSL possession. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to activate any stadiums as I'm just North of Knoxville. If minor league stadiums were included, I could activate the Smokies Stadium in Sevierville (Cubs "AA" Affiliate).

10. KB5SXC

KB5SXC Ham Member QRZ Page

MLB Stadiums/Special Event

Sounds like a good idea to me. Henry, for what it's worth, you have my support. Why don't you put in a call to the Texas Rangers Front Office, Ask for Tom Hicks personal assistant, explain that you need help structuring your proposal to present to the owners of the Teams. You might work around a nostalgia theme, research some historical personalities of Baseball who were Hams. While Hicks assistant won't do the work for you, you should be able to get through, and gather a few ideas.

KB5SXC
    Leo

11. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this is more for hams to pull off and specifically are you ready to make this happen or just throwing a concept out for someone with time on their hand to do?

12. KA5BKG

KA5BKG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my here we go with that Steve Bartman stuff again, the Cubs usually choke somehow someway, this year will be no different.

13. KG4EUD

KG4EUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not contact the ARRL for help. This is what they are here for. If you get the National Organization for Amateur Radio involved, It will go alot better. They have the resources to make it happen.

Why stop with MLB. Go with NFL as well. What about College Football Bowl Games? I would love to get QSL's or Certificates from the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl. If we get the ARRL to support us, We can get this done. Plus help promote Amateur radio to the public at PUBLIC events. I really like the idea. I will help any way I can.

Randall
    KG4EUD

14. K9ZU

K9ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

The Goat Speaks...

:pBAA-AA-AHHHH!!!!!;)

15. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to play Devil's Advocate:

HOW would this promote Amateur Radio, except amoungst other Amateurs? In a crowded baseball stadium, during a game, how do you propose presenting Amateur Radio to the general public? Would the Team' allow you to set up a station where the public has access, or would they want it tucked out of the way, in some far corner of the stadium? They probably look at liability as well... from antenna installation and placement, wires and cables, RF exposure, etc.

At least at events such as State or County Fairs, the SE stations have a booth or exhibit where operators can meet and greet the public; explain and demonstrate Amateur Radio.

As mentioned before, a team is going to look at benefit vs. liability, and without $$$ coming in, they are probably disinclined to agree to such an arrangement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.