ad: Radclub22-1

What was old becomes new - Morse Code to be used by new Toshiba/Intel texting device

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7FE/SK2017, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7FE/SK2017

K7FE/SK2017 QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member

The wheel turns. What was old becomes new. Morse Code is back in favor.

Twittering text-aholics will soon have a new plaything: Toshiba has teamed up with American microprocessor giant Intel to produce Clique, a handheld, thumb-operated device that uses only three keys. Text addicts will need to learn Morse code.

Perhaps the most startling features of ‘Clique’ are its uni-directional text stream and its reliance on an old-fashioned technology: 160 year old Morse code. ‘Clique’ users can only text out. Responses are collected by the user’s designated electronic mail account.

more details here:
    http://mhpbooks.com/mobylives/?p=6535

Terry Graves, K7FE
    Editor QRZ.COM

2. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse Code

CW is a mode. An interesting language of dits and dahs but amateur radio continues to advance so everyone can enjoy the hobby. As Riley Hollingsworth quoted 'Lighten up people' and enjoy the hobby. There is so much to enjoy and so little time on this earth to sweat the small stuff. Some people like this, some others may like something totally different but we all enjoy amateur radio collectively. Enjoy the hobby plain and simple. 73.

3. KC0WWD

KC0WWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Enjoy the hobby. I'll stick to my D117/K4 straight key.

4. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Already Reported on Newsline

You are a little late -- we reported it 2 weeks ago on Amateur Radio Newsline.
    See http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=206756 - Look at the final item in the newscast.

Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF
    Edtor: ARNewsline

5. N5DUX

N5DUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You missed April Fool's by a couple months!

It's highly unlikely that anybody would learn the code just so they can text. Heck, we can't even get hams to learn the code anymore, why would kids? (especially if QWERTY keyboards are available)

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I love one of the comments on the site:

7. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'll tell you exactly why. So they can put one over on their parents. Teach them the code and then only those using the device will know what they are saying. Its an advancement on those internet acronyms they use like LOL or POS or ROFLMAO and such. Useless if I might say so.

K2WH

8. 2W0NNN

2W0NNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I wouldn't agree with that, I think perhaps you need to give kids a little more credit. Despite having been an avid texter for years I'm still constantly frustrated at how slow it is compared with morse, even morse with a straight key; I'd buy a morse keyer for my mobile in a heartbeat if one was available. I'm 23 by the way. With the combination of its speed, the history as well as the efficiency of DX communication in ham radio (which has fascinated my mates - non hams - as well as myself), I think there'd be pretty decent sales. Perhaps a resurgence in morse as well!

9. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse Code

Well it seems everyone has their opinion and respectfully so. But all opinions are just that personal and not one's personal opinion controls everyone else. CW is just one of many modes of communication from one station to another or many stations. Every time the topic of morse code is posted seems to bring out those from their hiding places and give reason to complain. Enough i say and place this corpse into it's proper burial plot but people are so blinded where their reasoning concepts are removed. The less people whine and enjoy the hobby the better and more the people whine not enjoying the hobby should be removed from their privileges. Yes you heard me correct, your license is a PRIVILEGE. So enjoy your privileges, enjoy the many modes of communications we are allowed and even if we are of difference amateur class license still can remain civil, respectful of each others opinion. Putting away my beating stick from this dead horse....saving a religious prayer and enjoy some dinner. 73

10. KN4SA

KN4SA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would be neat

I think it could catch on, too bad it's a joke, but... Hey something else you might try, anytime you see someone that immediately turns the table on a CW message on the forum, try this...

Just go to this site: http://vanityhq.com/ and type in their call to see their upgrade history. Many times, you will see a person that was a tech for many years and then upgraded after the cw requirement was removed. That will many times explain the frustration that their messages convey.

Happy paddling, echolinking or whatever!

I love CW, but... your mileage may vary...

73!

11. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

WHAT???? This is a joke?? Say its not so!!! And here I had my credit card out and was looking for a place to plop down my money!! Oh what will I do now????

12. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because the hams have Attention Defecit, bad hearing, sore fingers, no time to learn, it's too hard, or just plain lazy to name just a few, don't think for a minute the geeks and nerds will try anything. All you have to do is issue a challenge and let's see what happens. ARRL, I think we have found our new group of hams. :)

13. KD5RGJ

KD5RGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

14. KN0X

KN0X Ham Member QRZ Page

Its All Digital AnyWay!

You Heard Me Right, I Think Morse Is The Original Digital Mode.

15. VO1XH

VO1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

MORSE CODE

Hey,what about if you wanted to text,you would be required to do a morse proficiency test at 5 wpm and allowed only to use a non-qwerty type phone for the first year,then you could upgrade to 12 wpm and then be able to buy and use the Toshiba/Intel device.Hows that for " incentive licencing" !! :D:D:D:D
    73,VO1XH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.