ad: chuckmartin

CQ Magazine Calls on FCC to Resume Amateur Enforcement

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 18, 2008

CQ Magazine Calls on FCC to Resume Amateur Enforcement

(Hicksville, NY November 18, 2008) -- CQ magazine is calling on FCC
    Enforcement Bureau Chief Kris Monteith to move swiftly to name a successor
    to Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, as Special Counsel for Amateur Radio, and to
    bring FCC enforcement back to the ham bands.

Writing in his "Zero Bias" editorial in the December 2008 issue, CQ Editor
    Rich Moseson, W2VU, noted that the Commission not only has failed to name a
    successor to Hollingsworth, but that not a single amateur enforcement action
    has been taken since his retirement this past July. At that time, the
    editorial noted, the amateur radio community was assured that the
    Commission's dedication to enhanced enforcement in the Amateur Service
    remains strong. However, the FCC's total inaction since July suggests
    otherwise.

"This is deeply disturbing and of grave concern," wrote Moseson, adding, "It
    would be a tragedy, and a travesty, if the FCC were to go back on its
    promise to be there for us and allowed amateur enforcement to once again
    drop off the radar."

"The need for continuing amateur enforcement was reinforced after the issue
    was went to press when CQ was informed of an outburst of racist diatribes on
    20 meters, including the transmission of recordings of a Hitler rally and
    Nazi marching songs. "This type of behavior was all too common before
    'Sheriff' Riley came to town a decade ago," noted Moseson, "and it quickly
    disappeared once it became obvious that someone in authority was paying
    attention. But now, only a matter of months since Riley handed in his badge,
    it has become obvious to these hams that they are once again free to do
    whatever they please without fear of any consequences."

"The FCC must get back into the amateur enforcement business, and it must do
    so quickly," says Moseson, "before the situation once again gets out of
    control. Enforcement Bureau Chief Monteith must act promptly to name a
    successor to Riley Hollingsworth and assure amateurs that they have not once
    again been abandoned by the Commission."

The full text of Moseson's editorial is online at
    www.cq-amateur-radio.com, linked from the December issue highlights.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  2. KE7ONE

KE7ONE Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Enforcement

All,

I have often wondered why, in the past few months, the lack of 'self control' has been evidenced over amateur frequencies. I primarily use 2 Meters (somewhat by choice, it was my first radio), and occasionally venture out beyond my pre-programmed repeaters and home network. Sometimes I'll hear two people ragchewing using language I wouldn't use on the airwaves, much less in conversation with anyone's mother.

I guess what I'm saying is that we, as concerned and careful individuals, need to reign ourselves in a little, and think about how we interact with each other. Emotions are carried over in the words and expression of our voice. Using words that can convey meaning without going into shocking language and without using the questionable adjectives can give a more positive voice to amateur radio. If we want younger people to 'catch the bug' of communicating with the magic box of technology, what example do we set when we let loose with a tirade of profanity?

How about the station that uses too much power? It's easier to bust a pileup with more wattage, but will you be able to hear the ham with the legal limit output when everyone else is overpowering? How about the 'splatter' from yout rig bleeding over into a commercial, military, or emergency services band? These, and many more concerns cause the ham to look like a ne'er-do-well in the eyes of non-hams. Face it, they outnumber us.

On this I agree: I will vehemently state that I and others of a like mind do not want the amateur frequencies to go the way of Citizens Band. It started as a relatively benign and fun communications medium, and degraded to what is known as today. We don't need this. We do need to 'nudge' those outside the lines back in.

Thanks for listening.

3. W9DP

W9DP Guest

FCC Enforcement

One only has to listen to 14.275 as to see how far the practice of good radio ethics has fallen into the sewer. Not only do we have the nut from Canada spewing his venom but the American amateurs baiting him think what they are doing in jamming him, playing music over him, playing taped comments on him, is perfectly legal and in good taste. What a disgrace to good Amateur practices. Yeah I have listened on that frequency so I do know what is going on. Where is the FCC enforcement?????

4. N5XZ

N5XZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And where is the Canadian enforcement?

5. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think those who are playing music or pre-recorded comments, cursing or jamming on 14.275 think their actions are legal. What they do know is that the FCC and Industry Canada will do NOTHING about what's going on, so they just get on and do what they want.

Good question. Some think that it is intentional, whereby the FCC is letting amateur radio go to h3!! in order to have less resistance for BPL and plasma TVs that generate RFI. I don't necessarily buy that, but I do think that they'd rather not spend the money.

6. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They're real busy right now.

[​IMG]

7. W9JR

W9JR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it because an Amateur Radio license is so easy to obtain these days? Are we inviting every Tom, Dick, or Harry out there to come join the ranks? Are we getting the true Amateur Radio operator --- or are we just attracting applicance operators? If it's the latter, I guess maybe that's why we have such nonsence on the once ham bands --- now glorified CB bands.

But, I agree --- let the FCC do the job they're supposed to do and clean out the rubbish.

8. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe we need to be more proactive

Governments tend to be slow, and while that can be an advantage (imagine if Congress had grabbed control of the Internet) at other times it can leave us hanging. If one particular person is causing real problems, a concerted effort by many people reporting to the national authority may have an effect. I believe that's how "beautiful southern California" was finally silenced from repeated jamming of the 14.336 net.

And you can approach licensing burreaucrats in various ways. In the US we have Representatives and Senators who will at least pass on our concerns. When reporting a bad foreign station it may be more difficult to be heard, but enough letters to prime ministers and communicatons authorities--perhaps in coordination with local hams--may well be noticed. Regarding one station I've already sent my letters alleging what a national disgrace it is--has anyone else done this?

9. KC9KSL

KC9KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

now granted I may have had my license for almost 3 years. But as a young adult I hear enough of this junk as a 16 year old. I compleatly agree that people are taking advantage of the system and we need enforcement back and we need the good men and women who were helping to enforce it.

10. KC6TOA

KC6TOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hollingsworth once said..

"It's not about enforcement. It's about your obligation," he said. Enforcement can't cure all Amateur Radio's ills. "It's all about you and what you're doing with [Amateur Radio]," he concluded. "Look beyond enforcement."

11. K2EDM

K2EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

not new

this is not new at all. There are sociopaths everywhere. I can remember back in the fifties, a guy: "no lids, no kids, no WA's"... These guys enjoy attention and the guys that take the bait are no better. Your radio has a dial, if EVERYONE would use it to tune off the frequency, these guys would go away... And if everyone did, these guys would think their radios were broken and, hopefully, send 'em in for repair. They need feedback, without it, they get no enjoyment, and have NO motivation to continue. And "nudging" back into line does not work, why? it is also giving them attention. On some local repeaters, some luck has been had by mail a note " I know who you are, wouldja like me to tell everyone?" That is the only legal recoarse, the BEST thing is ignoring them, completely...... and of coarse if I had to write a monthly editorial, well, hafta say sumpin, sales, you know...
    :):):):) Elsie Kay

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  12. W4MKH

W4MKH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think that is the cause though it may have some impact. Lots of the hams that think they own a frequency, splatter all over the band, jam signals or engage in questionable language are experienced hams with lots of years of service.

I think the biggest issue is that people won't assume any personal responsibility for their actions and no one enforces any. We live in a time when "its all about me me me" is the prevalent attitude in society. When you approach life with that mind set you don't care about the consequences opr impact of your actions. This attitude isn't limited to amateur radio.

And yes the FCC and the Canadian government need to step in an enforce the rules.

13. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First, I don't think the problem is nearly as bad as some make it sound. Amateur Radio has always had a few miscreants in the mix, and I'm not sure we're getting more now. Many people spend hours on the air every day and never encounter these problems.

I also don't think it has much to do with current testing requirements. I am aware that we've opened the doors to various Freebanders and scofflaws. And, I am painfully aware that some of these guys fall in that category. The worst offenders are the scofflaws who hide behind their ham tickets and continue their illegal activities - those are the ones that need to be caught and nailed to the nearest cross! But nearly all of the newbies are respectable hams.

Perhaps, what we need are some new strategies for dealing with these guys.

14. K2EDM

K2EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

First, I don't think the problem is nearly as bad as some make it sound. Amateur Radio has always had a few miscreants in the mix, and I'm not sure we're getting more now. Many people spend hours on the air every day and never encounter these problems.

Yep, it really isn't, and by writing it up in a magazine, the problem, small as it is, gets spread outside the "community", where it will have a bad effect on our community. That is what I was refering to in my last comment. There are about 500,000 apples in our barrel, mostly good...one or three, aren't worth worrying about.., and articles about them when read outside our community get their importance magnified...... Elsie Kay

15. KB7GL

KB7GL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't recall hearing much as a Novice in 1958, but when I got back into HR in 1978, it was rampant. You can't blame it on the newbies...it was there when you needed a minimum of 13 wpm & a more difficult written to get on 20M (or 75M, etc.).

Waiting for the FCC to fix everything is futile, though. We need to try to address the problem within our own community.

Just another reason why I prefer CW -- it's virtually non-existent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.