ad: Retevis-1

A.R.E.S / R.A.C.E.S. Jump bag

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WM5L, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WM5L

WM5L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is just a simple list of stuff I carry for  Tarrant County R.A.C.E.S. I use a water resistant boat bag I found at Bass Pro Shops here in North Texas. Anybag will do but i just liked the weather/water proof bright yellow one. You can add to the list or make your own. The item will vary according to where you live and work. However you should still remain self relaint
    in an emergency. I have enough food, batteries and water for three days in my "Jump bag". This might be a little much for some people. Just think about it and make one of your own for those times when you need it fast. Questions or additions welcomed.....Jim/WM5L net controller Tarrant County/Ft Worth,TX R.A.C.E.S. wm5l@swbell.net

1. Batteries for your gadgets
    q Extra Ni-cad packs for your H.T.
    q Extra alkaline “AA’s” because just about everything uses them these days
    q Extra alkaline “D” and “C” cells for your flashlight
    q Possibly a large deep cycle battery for your shack if you don’t leave home
    q An empty “AA” pack for your H.T. in case all of your Ni-cad packs are dead

2. Maps/ Reference Books
    q Mapsco for the county you will be serving
    q Roads of Texas map book for rural areas is a real good one to have
    q A repeater directory or just a list of local frequencies (including HF)
    q A R.A.C.E.S. directory if your group has one

3.  Electronic gadgets
    q Flashlight (with the batteries NOT in it but rather in your bag/kit because                
                they will go dead if you leave them in the flashlight)
    q A GOOD 5 watt H.T. with a GOOD, high gain mag mount antenna  
                (Don’t forget the SMA or BNC to PL259 adapter)
    q G.P.S. or a APRS system is a must for rural deployment

4.  Misc items that might be seasonal
    q      Coat (heavy, light or rain suit)
    q      Dry socks, shoes, shirt, shorts or pants
    q      Orange or yellow construction type vest
    q      Bottled drinking water
    q      Food like MRE’s, Power bars, Cliff bars or trail mix simple, easy eat on the    
               run type stuff (NO TWINKIES Hi Hi)
    q      Pen and paper or a small notebook
    q      First aid kit
    q      I.D. and money (cash is best you never know if the ATM is with or without power)
    q      If taking prescription medication be sure to bring it as well. You never know how
                           long you will be out there.
    q      And last but not least keep your car or truck ABOVE ½ a tank of fuel (you
               will not have time to get gas in a disaster or in the middle of a long deployment.)

q
    q .

2. WM5L

WM5L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a few people ask/tell me a 5 watt talkie is not good enough for your primary radio. I agree 100%. It is only a backup or portable for when you need it. You should be using a FULL POWER radio most of the time. You need 25 watts or better into a GOOD, GAIN antenna for most of your work no matter where you are. Talkies are cool with lots of bells and whistles but when the weather is bad or you are in your car driving around town they just dont work very well. You dont want to waste net airtime with a scratchy, weak signal into the repeater. It happens all the time. You will hear Net Controll say " Last station inprove your location or increase your power,try again" All this does is slow a fast moving net down. This is a bad thing....Jim/WM5L

3. N2RXK

N2RXK Ham Member QRZ Page

As this is a jump bag, a good HT is essential.  We just deployed for service with a foot race.  We had trackers, mobiles, the 25 watters, all the gadgets and power etc.  The point here is, once one or two of the operators stepped away from their vehicle or the command trailer, THEY WERE WITHOUT COMMUNICATIONS.  A high power mobile is not JUMP BAG material.  It is ESSENTIAL that every operator has a HT with spare batts etc.  We provide seven HTX-202's with shoulder harnesses, speaker mikes,  gain antennas, NiMH and Alkaline battery pack for any op who does not have their own HT.  We also have four deployable 25 watt mobile radios with APRS, packet, or voice capability.  The have a quick mount antennas and also a twenty foot mast with guys, stakes, hammers, etc.  The Arrow 1/4 wave antenna works extremely well in this hilly Chenango County.  The Emergency units are deployable in a car and can be set up quickly at a needed comm point. They have 10 ah gels to keep them going for a couple of hours until alternative power (110 vac or 12 vdc) can be setup.  This concept has been tested, deployed AND IT WORKS.
    The Command Trailer provides planning and communications while the Communications Trailer provides a mobile 2M repeater with 6m and 10m linking radios.  It provides 440/2/6/10/HF along with an APRS digipeater and emergency packet system with the ARES database.  Computers and generators round out the mobile solv-i-tall unit. Check findu N2RXK-6 and stations near it.

Every ham that is involved with EmComm must have a good HT in their jump kit. AND The list published is a GREAT help!!

Thanks for listening to this over-exhuberant EmComm person!!

73 de Bob N2RXK

4. KC9ESF

KC9ESF Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WM5L @ May 02 2004,11:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is just a simple list of stuff I carry ...

1. Batteries for your gadgets
    q Extra Ni-cad packs,alkaline “AA’s”,alkaline “D” and “C”

2. Maps/ Reference Books
    q Mapsco for the county you will be serving
    q Roads of Texas map book for rural areas is a real good one to have
    q A repeater directory or just a list of local frequencies (including HF)
    q A R.A.C.E.S. directory if your group has one

3.  Electronic gadgets
    q Flashlight (with the batteries NOT in it but rather in your bag/kit because                
                they will go dead if you leave them in the flashlight)
    q A GOOD 5 watt H.T. with a GOOD, high gain mag mount antenna  
                (Don’t forget the SMA or BNC to PL259 adapter)
    q G.P.S. or a APRS system is a must for rural deployment

4.  Misc items that might be seasonal
    q      Coat (heavy, light or rain suit)
    q      Dry socks, shoes, shirt, shorts or pants
    q      Orange or yellow construction type vest
    q      Bottled drinking water
    q      Food like MRE’s, Power bars, Cliff bars or trail mix simple, easy eat on the    
               run type stuff (NO TWINKIES Hi Hi)
    q      Pen and paper or a small notebook
    q      First aid kit
    q      I.D. and money (cash is best you never know if the ATM is with or without power)
    q      If taking prescription medication be sure to bring it as well. You never know how
                           long you will be out there.
    q      And last but not least keep your car or truck ABOVE ½ a tank of fuel (you
               will not have time to get gas in a disaster or in the middle of a long deployment.)

q
    q .[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    some things you forgot

Good Knife (to cut wire, strip wire, skin anmials an butcher, self defense)
    good multi screwdriver(hard to find, but possible)
    rope. (too many uses)
    red and black wire.(universal electrical connetor)
    12v powered battery charger (for AA and such)
    Matches(or just two sticks of wood CAN work)
    knowledge to convert most of your "toys" to 12v if need be.
    crank powered 12 alternator generator(still looking)

with the addition of the above, I could be dropped just about anywhere on the planet and be able to operate and survive (if not survive in comfort)

5. K9NYO

K9NYO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For about $30 at just about any Walmart/Target-type store you can get a "Quick-Start" sealed lead acid battery that has a cigarette lighter jack and a couple of jumper cables attached. Mine is 40 amp hours and will run a Yaesu FT-1500D (2m rig) at medium power (10W) for a long time (you do the math). Just build a cigarette lighter plug for your rig and put in a higher amperage fuse. You can keep this battery in the car (keep it charged, though, via the cigarette lighter jack in your car)...it will serve its original purpose if your car battery dies or it will give you a decent power source for a mobile rig in an emergency.

Obviously you're not going to be carrying this 12VDC battery around and using a mobile rig like you would an HT, but this is a really inexpensive solution if you need to set up at a fixed location such as a school or evac center running health and welfare traffic.

ARES advises having 2 jump packs...one for 24 hours and one for 72 hours. Creating these jump packs can get really complicated and excessive if you're not careful...most guys make one pack and split the difference.

One thing I would add to your list is Ricola lozenges for sore throats...especially if you're operating as an NCS...that voice can go quickly. Some of the guys use Halls vitamin C drops...whatever, just some kind of lozenge.

Rob Sobkoviak
    Northeast DEC - Illinois ARES

6. N0OV

N0OV Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WM5L @ May 03 2004,05:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have had a few people ask/tell me a 5 watt talkie is not good enough for your primary radio. I agree 100%. It is only a backup or portable for when you need it. You should be using a FULL POWER radio most of the time. You need 25 watts or better into a GOOD, GAIN antenna for most of your work no matter where you are. Talkies are cool with lots of bells and whistles but when the weather is bad or you are in your car driving around town they just dont work very well. You dont want to waste net airtime with a scratchy, weak signal into the repeater. It happens all the time. You will hear Net Controll say " Last station inprove your location or increase your power,try again" All this does is slow a fast moving net down. This is a bad thing....Jim/WM5L[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Another nice option is an HT backed up by a mirage amp and a magmount. Not too good in areas with hi intermod, but can provide an increased about of flexability when needed

7. N0OV

N0OV Guest

small first aid kit also, including any meds you need to take (or you may want to have) also a good idea

Tums, aspirin, sun screen, etc

8. KD6PIZ

KD6PIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

On the issue of the personnel not having com when they step away from their vehicle, or in the case of ht's being scratchy into the repeaters due to power or location I have one solution. I have a 2m mobile that I can configure to act as either a simplex or duplex repeater. So if I can't get into the repeater I'm working with my ht, I just put my ht to low power (naturally due to the fact that I'm usually within a mile of the vehicle) and configure my mobile to repeater mode to boost my signal into the particular repeater I'm using.

9. KE4SKY

KE4SKY Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WA1ESU

WA1ESU Ham Member QRZ Page

DON'T FORGET TOILET PAPER AND SOME TYPE OF WATERLESS HAND CLEANER.
    I FEEL A TOOL ROLL CONTAINING SCREDRIVERS. CUTTERS, NEEDLENOSE ETC. IS ESSENTIAL.
    CRIMP ON UHF CONNECTORS ARE ALSO GOOD TO REPLACE A DAMAGED ONE WITHOUT SOLDERING

11. KE4SKY

KE4SKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is another "go light" gear list with the Ten Essentials for general mild weather outdoor activity.

This list didn't originate with amateur radio, but was Neighborhood Watch hasty-search (suburban and rural, non wilderness) related. We made some simple modifications as noted in the optional items, from our RACES unit.

12. KC0IVY

KC0IVY Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Choices Everyone. Something for you all to consider... When your deployed, don't carry so much as to be weighed down, mobility on foot is always a concerne. Ask yourself, will this stuff fit in a backpack if needed, and can I carry it for several miles that way ?
    One item I noticed was missing, that should be in EVERYONES gear, is a WHISTLE. If your voice gives out, or if your in a remote area, a whistle can be heard for a long ways. And it's essential for S.A.R. work. Another item to consider, at night a flashlight is not an emergency locator beacon. They do make a small Strobe Light, with a clear lens, that's just a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes, with a belt clip / magnet. The clear white light can be seen for miles at night. And a small Leatherman Tool can take the place of a tool kit. So, Be Safe Out There.

13. KG2V

KG2V Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the debate over HT vs Mobile in a jump kit is really one of how you see your jump kit

I have 3 or 4 (depending on how I count it) levels of jump kit. Most of my day is spent MILES awayf rom both my car and house - I use mass transit. The jump kit I carry with me in that situation is missing a lot of things - it has no Mobile Rig - it doesn't have my masts, it doesn't have my hardhats, rolls of coax, big batteries etc - Heck, it's 50 lbs as it is!!

Back in the truck I have a bunch of that stuff, including hard mounted VHF and UHF rigs

At home, I have more stuff that can be grabbed as needed - more batteries, another mobile rig, a 2nd mast (the first is always in the truck), more rope, better stoves, and the list goes on, depending on what kind of deployment is going on.

The next think I'm thinking of adding is an "in vehicle" repeater like some police departments use.

So, it's all a matter of what you call you "Jump Kit"

14. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n2rxk @ May 04 2004,07:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Command Trailer provides planning and communications while the Communications Trailer provides a mobile 2M repeater with 6m and 10m linking radios.  It provides 440/2/6/10/HF along with an APRS digipeater and emergency packet system with the ARES database.  Computers and generators round out the mobile solv-i-tall unit. Check findu N2RXK-6 and stations near it.

73 de Bob N2RXK[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Bob,
    Sounds like a first rate trailer. Any website with pictures of the inside and outside of the trailer? If so, please give us the URL so that we can admire your setup. I'm always interested in seeing EMCOMM trucks, vans and trailers. Each is unique and special.
    Steve

15. WA8BZC

WA8BZC Ham Member QRZ Page

Your list sounds good. however keep it as light as possible. you might not be able to get into the site by vehicle. That means walk. Also go to an army navy store and get some load bearing equipment, i.e. web gear and an ALCE pack. The bag sounds good but to keep it with you and secure, I think you'll find this better.

Next suggestion split your kit for climate. If in a cold climate have a cold weather bag ready. you don't have to take it in warm weather but you'll be glad you have it when it is cold and glad you aren't toting it when it's warm or hot.

Keep personal items like soap, toothpaste, etc. to a minimum but enough to maintain hygine in the field.

Just some suggestions from an old nco whose lived in austire field conditions. They make life a lot more plesent during these periods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.