ad: Radclub22-1

September 11, 2002 - Patriot Day

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

hallischalmers writes "I would like to propose that all ham radio operators in the US commemorate the anniversary of 9-11 by coming together and operating in "Field Day" fashion on 9-11-2002.

Not only will we have an opportunity to showcase our abilities and brush up on our technical proficiency, we'll be able to showcase ham radio to the general public in a positive light.

At the same time, we will all be united in paying tribute to those brave American citizens, military personnel, police, fire & EMS workers lost in New York City, at the Pentagon, in Pennsylvania, and especially the brave citizen-soldiers on the airliners.

I would suggest that we call "CQ Patriot Day" and use typical Field Day exchanges (e.g. N5QXP... 1 Delta...South Texas). Instead of 48 hrs, let's just operate what hours we can. Remember, this is a weekday, so we won't have the luxury of coninuous operating. (Some of us have to work!)

Remember: This is not about making point totals or winning a contest. This is about honoring those that have made the ultimate sacrifice for this nation.

Unfortunately, I have suggested a similar proposal to my local ARRL section manager and have received absolutely no response from any one at the state level or from HQ. Not even an acknowledgement that my e-mail was received. (Funny thing though, the ARRL sure wants to hear from me when it's time to collect membership dues.)

Regardless, I think we hams would benefit greatly from the exposure.

I'm confident we can pull this off on our own with or without the ARRL's help. We're Americans. We don't need anybody to hold our hands because this great nation is full of rugged individualists.

Does anybody else have any further suggestions? Speak up! Get all your friends motivated. This is not a formal contest - it's about being united as Americans.

In the words of Mr. Todd Beamer, "Let's roll!""

2. K5WW

K5WW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A good initiative!

I'm sure there will be plenty of other organisations remembering the event on an annual basis, and I believe we should participate in our own way.

Maybe you should try to send you message directly to the ARRL HQ, I think they will be more responsive.

Best wishes for 2002 to all,

Gert

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds good, lets do it!

4. NF8W

NF8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with ya...will work on this end to organize it...remember, big things often start small, so don't be discouaged. Let's Roll!

5. AB0OX

AB0OX Ham Member QRZ Page

C U There.

6. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lets not stop with just a "field day" for hams, lets push for a national holiday, close the schools, get off work, and celebrate the honor of being an American. Lets call it Americas Day , and make it a national holiday. We can all hug each other and wave flags and say a prayer for the future of All Americans..

Send this whole thread to your congressman. and senator..

Americas Day

tom N6AJR

7. N4ZOU

N4ZOU Ham Member QRZ Page

America's day sure sounds like a great idea to me! We should start working for a national day of rememberance for 9-11. Count on me to also operate on 9-11-2002.

8. KB9ZMF

KB9ZMF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this a fantastick idea and would be more than willing to help w/it. 73's.

DAVID M. CLINE
    KB9ZMF grassman2100@yahoo.com.

9. K4DXV

K4DXV Ham Member QRZ Page

In the vernacular of the younger generation, "I'm all about it." I sponsor an amateur radio club at a local high school where I teach. The club was formed out of student response to 9/11 and how they could be of assistance. This is just the type of thing that would go over well with them. Let me know how I can help.

10. N5BAM

N5BAM Guest

Hi, This is Judy (KØIDS). I think your idea is a very good Idea. One thing I would do is start up a website....let people sign their names and callsigns to it...kinda like a petition. Or even start out doing emails where everyone can sign it and forward it on to ham operators. After doing this send them to Arrl and see then if you get some response. I would be willing to do either one. My email address is nn0c@iowatelecom.net I will post something on my website about this. God Bless America!! Judy

11. WI3K

WI3K Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea! I like the idea of getting on and remembering the folks who put it all on the line. I also like the idea of a national holiday, though I really don't think it'll fly.

If there's no response from the ARRL, just use an exchange of sig report and state. If this gets some legs to it though, the ARRL will sure as heck get out in front, especially if it gets them some publicity.

Reid WI3K

12. N2OBM

N2OBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds Great! Let's do it! Sgt Trent Bronson, DA6OBM/N2OBM

13. Guest

Guest Guest

If y'all are serious about the petition thing, PLEASE don't send a "forward this to everyone you know" email. Try going to http://www.petitiononline.com and setting up a petition there. Then just forward the link to others. Saves me getting 100s of copies of an email with 200 some names and all the forwarded stuff on it! :)

14. KC2AYG

KC2AYG Ham Member QRZ Page

I was the first NCS when the atack happend I went for 36 hours then kc2eni gave me a break for 4 hours
    then back in the NCS for another 36 hours with another 4 hour break
    I had to give out my home phone because there was no more NYC RACES DESK that was in building #7
    witch now is a mountain of dust\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    when I gave out my home phone as the RACES DESK
    I was putting my family in dangers way
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\we should commend all the hams that gave up there family`s and time to help NYC

THE ONLY THING I HAVE RECEIVED FROM 9-11
    WAS A HOME MADE COMPUTER CERTIFICATE FROM MY DEC
    N2NOV
    THERE WERE OTHERS HAMS SHAWDOWING MEDICAL TEAMS
    AT GROUND ZERO
    PUTTING THERE LIVES ON THE LINE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

So before we try to do a fielday
    lets reward those hams that drove for hours
    flew in by air train bus even boat\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

(TOO BART LEE KV6LEE) HATS OFF \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

JOHN KERNEN KE2UN ADEM FINE AB2IZ MARK PHILPS KC2ENI AND OTHERS ROCKAWAY RELAY
    JOE ALBURTIS KB2QLE CHARLIE WA2GUG STEVE MENDELSON W2ML
    NYC ARES RACES STAFF
    WESTESTER COUNTY ARES NASSAU COUNTY ARES SOFFOLK
    COUNTY ARES AND MANY MANY MORE
    THAT DID NOT GET EVEN A THANK YOU

LET YOU SEC KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!!!!

15. N5QXP

N5QXP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I wrote this article for QRZ, I had no intention of neglecting anyone involved with the rescue efforts, whether they were amateurs, professionals, or ordinary citizens.

All of America was "shadowing" each and every one one of rescue workers.

I can assure you that America will never forget the sacrifices and hard work that goes on even to this day.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.