ad: CQMM-1

World Wide Converse Servers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Sep 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Daniel Prather writes "This isn't anything earth shattering or new, but I just wanted to remind all the hams out there about the World Wide Converse! Just in case you haven't ever used it before or heard of it, here's a little description ...

WWC is similar to Internet Relay Chat (IRC), though it's resembles a CB simulator a little more closely, using numbers for channels rather than names. It's made up of both Internet links and RF links, connecting people digitally all over the world. In many cases, your local packet radio BBS may have access (usually the CONV option, if I'm not mistaken, from the main menu) to the system, or someone in your area may have a packet accessible convers system. However, if there isn't much packet activity in your area, you can still participate! Several servers are setup to allow hams to connect to the system via the Internet.

Anyway, why do I bring this up, you ask? There are only about 100 users at a time on the system, depending on the time of day. Most of these users are dedicated, almost always logged in, and some good conversations can happen. However, we need newcomers! New blood and new ideas for the network would be wonderful! There are channels dedicated to many many things, such as TCP/IP packet networks for regions, different countries, different modes of operation, and so on and so forth. I, myself, generally hang out in channel 90, which is the channel for the International Network of Young Amateurs group. It's a fun place!

Anyway, if you're interested, check and see if the option is available from your local packet BBS. The INYA website, link above, has some information on various Internet and packet accessible convers servers (look under the "Gateways" links at the top left corner) ... or you could try connecting to blues.pspt.fi, foo.bar.hes.iki.fi, flounder.homeip.net, or dh7mk.myip.org. You must connect via port 3600 for each of these to access the service. The INYA page also, if I'm correct, has links to a few good programs to access the system, though a normal telnet client will do in a pinch.

Okay, thanks all of you for letting me bend your ear! Obviously I'm on the system as kf4fse most of the time, and like I said, you can catch me in channel 90. Happy wwcing!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.