ad: Flexradio-1

Where have the novice ops gone?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jun 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

N9OH writes "Are there any novice operators left? Perhaps with the recent license restructuring, all of the novice and tech plus ops have upgraded to general! At least maybe all of the active ones! I say this because I recently spent some time (ok alot of time) sending CQ and listening for CQ's on the novice portion of 40 (and a little on 80) meters. I heard one weak station sending code upwards of 20wpm, but that was it!

Several years ago when I was a tech plus, I sat in front of my HeathKit and pounded out CQ for hours... and only made a handful of contacts. I was discouraged, but kept at it. A few years and a couple of upgrades later, I still like to look for the rare CQ's from new and old ops in the novice subbands. Back then, I would have appreciated having more people to QSO with... but now it seems that these sections of the band are empty! It makes me wonder... where have all the novice ops gone?

PS- This is not meant to be a discussion on effective utilization of the amateur frequencies... nor is this a discussion on code-vs-nocode. Enjoy."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.