ad: CQMM-1

REACTion to ARRL Agreement

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, May 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Jacob P. Gier, N7VIV; Boise, ID - n7viv@n7viv.com writes...

As District #3 Emergency Coordinator (DEC),
    for the state of Idaho I was sorely disappointed in seeing the article about the ARRL signing any letter of understanding with REACT.

I have been associated with radio, CB and Ham in the Boise, Idaho area since the early 1970's. And here in the area the CBer's and REACT have always been associated with illegal activities and embarrassing situations. In the past when REACT came in their vests and hats with all of the pins attached to our "Bureau of Disaster Services" meetings, looking like some kind of carnival act we wanted nothing to do with them. As a matter of fact when it was shoved down our throats that we should take them in and make them part of our emergency communications program, the then acting District #3 Emergency Coordinator (DEC): Dennis Lawson N7FZA, resigned over the situation. I feel the same way he does. I want nothing to do with them.

One of the current leaders of the REACT organization here in the area is selling export only radios to the CBer's and amplifiers. He even has a brochure printed up that is widely distributed in the area. He has also bought a non type accepted radio and has it programmed so he can transmit on local emergency frequencies including police bands. We all consider him a loose cannon.

I worked hard and long to get my ham license and I won't put it at risk working with people that don't conduct themselves professionally in an emergency. I don't want the public to get the idea that hams are the weird ones running around in the "Monkey Suits" ( vests and hats with all of the pins attached ). I don't want to be associated with a carnival act. Out here some of the old timers won't even talk to a ham that came in as a no-code tech. They sure won't have anything to do with CBer's or REACT.

I will follow my predecessor Dennis Lawson, N7FZA. And resign before I will work with them. They are dangerous and I won't put my license at risk passing traffic that has come from them. They have nothing at risk. They don't have a license to lose. Would you want to risk your license working with these people? Many of them here locally even have criminal backgrounds.

REACT and ham radio or ARRL were never meant to be together. I'm sorry gentlemen, but this was a bad decision on your part.

" OF COURSE THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION, AND NOT THE OPINION OF ANY ORGANIZATION."

Yours Sincerely,

Jacob P. Gier, N7VIV.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.