ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec

Unhappy

Open question to anyone who would care to reply.

What do you think of using a G5RV as an inverted V?

I am thinking about doing that as opposed to going flat top. No trees or much else handy to hang from and inverted V would get me back on the air quicker.(I have a 2 meter antenna on a 25' mast I could use as center point)

Tnx 73

I had one in that configuration and made lots of contacts with it. If you are without an antenna at all, I'd go for it!
    Audie
    SKCC #927
    Virginia Fone Net #72

I should also note that I am going from a 42' trap sloper to the G5RV in hopes of better transmission properties with my 80 watts.

Any antenna is better than no antenna at all. #The G5RV as an inverted V is not an ideal antenna, but it has served me well in many situations. #On Guam, I could count on getting thru to Japan, Australia, Korea, and Mainland China as well as others. #From Mt Laguna in the mountains east of San Diego, I could get thru to Washington State and southern British Columbia, and Texas through to Georgia. #And that was only over a few hours of operation. #So by all means, if the G5RV in an inverted V is the only antenna you have at hand, Use It!
    Mark Robinson
    W5MLR
    Lebanon, OK

The center of my G5RV is up about 35 feet, the ends are lower, maybe 20 feet on one end and 25 on the other. With 100 watts, I've made contacts all over North America, South America, Europe, the Caribbean, and Russia.

The only way to know if it works better than your 42' trap sloper is to try it.
    73, Ron KR2D

I have seen studies that indicate the cancellation is really significant. I have been supporting a derivative of a G5RV from the ends for a few years now with good results.

I would slope it if needed to keep from bending the dipole section.

That's my 2 cents.

73, JP, K8AG

Why a G5RV? Just put up a dipole, flat top or inverted "V" and feed it with ladder line and a tuner. Can't get better than that and the antenna will cost you next to nothing.

G5RV is not a very good antenna. There is no magic to it. It is designed so one may use it without a tuner provided it is installed "By the Book". Any deviation from typical installation, and you will not obtain a good match on certain bands and you will only have to go out and get a tuner anyway.

Put up a dipole.

K2WH

Any piece of wire connected to your transmitter will work; it's just a matter of degree.

Problems with an inverted vee G5RV at 25' are numerous, but include:

-Center's not up high enough. A G5RV is fed through a 31.5' length of ladder line that must all be suspended above ground to work properly; if you have the center of the antenna at 25', that's impossible.

-Possible/probable coupling between that ladder line and the supporting pole/mast, if it is conductive. If it's wooden or something, no problem.

-The G5RV, like any doublet, is "too long" on the bands above 20m. On 10m, it's six halfwaves not-in-phase and the resulting radiation pattern looks like lobes favoring the wire tips (ends) and not the broadsides. As such, when you install one as an inverted vee, especially a *low* inverted vee, you're aiming most of your radiated energy directly into the earth. (That doesn't mean it won't work, as the earth's a pretty good reflector that will simply bounce most of the applied energy back upwards towards the sky; the real issue is that most of that will be radiated at undesirable angles and not where you'd really want it to be.) This will also happen to a somewhat lesser degree on 12m and 15m.

-Of course, 25' high at the apex is too low for it to work much on 80m at all, or work well on 40m. It'll probably be okay on 20m.

My first thought would be: "How can I get this up higher?" and considering perhaps a mast extension to make it 35' or 40' or whatever you can do...

WB2WIK/6
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (K2WH @ July 16 2006,09:42)]Why a G5RV? #Just put up a dipole, flat top or inverted "V" and feed it with ladder line and a tuner. #Can't get better than that and the antenna will cost you next to nothing.

G5RV is not a very good antenna. #There is no magic to it. #It is designed so one may use it without a tuner provided it is installed "By the Book". #Any deviation from typical installation, and you will not obtain a good match on certain bands and you will only have to go out and get a tuner anyway.

Put up a dipole.

K2WH
    Something we actually agree on! How frustrating is it to try to pull somebody out of the soup on 75 who is running a G5RV with 100 watts? It's about 1 db below mental telepathy....

The G5RV inverted, with greater than 90 degrees between legs should work fine. I prefer a 102 ft center fed dipole with TV twin lead (not the cheap stuff) to a 4:1 balun then a foot or two of mini 8 coax to a tuner.

Mine is an old Van Gorden version with the old feed cut off and TV twin lead soldered on about a foot from the center insulator to an old MFJ tuner.

You could easily make one with two 51 ft pieces of wire to a center insulator with the twin lead tied directly at the insulator. Less expensive than a commercial G5. I run 100 ft or so or of twin lead.

Mine is about 25 ft at the center and droops on both ends and is not straight. Works fine on 80 through 20 meters. Allows pretty good 75 meter use, only about a db or so down from a full 135 ft dipole on 75 according to some analyses. I would not consider it a dx antenna. Good Luck, Don NT7N Redmond, Oregon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast