ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio

Hi I have bought today a Standard C828m 2M VHF Rig at a boot sale and #i am trying to source a manual for it......
    Has anyone used this rig before, any comments would be welcome.....
    Cheers Simon 2E0VAG

Is it really a C828 or is it an 826?

The C826 was the 2nd generation of the Standard 2 meter rigs back in 1971. The C806 was a real piece of "do do" and Standard dropped it after I gave it a VERY bad review in CQ Magazine when I was the first FM Editor. The C826 was a much better rig. It took no less than 3 C806 rigs brought to me before I finally got one that even worked. That one was the second one that was hand carried by Standard's United States sales manager. He also brought 3 of their r.f. amplifiers and only 1 of them worked!

Needless to say, the Standard representative was very upset, not with me, but with those technicians in California that had said that the units were working "better than specifications".

Glen, K9STH

About the only way to obtain a manual will be if someone else has the same unit and can send you a photocopy. "Standard" left the Amateur business (for the second and final time) a few years ago, when it merged with Vertex to become Vertex/Standard, the owners of Yaesu. But they orphaned all of their Amateur gear, so there is no support for it any more.
    Standard made several of the HeathKit mobile rigs and H-T's, and in the late 80's, early 90's, they had some decent radios' they were one of the first to come out with a mobile rig that could be controlled from the microphone; it took another couple of years for YaeComWood to adopt that idea. They also were (I beleive) to have a "cloning" function where one H-T could transmit it's memory contents to another H-T of the same model; again, it was ahead of it's time; the QST reviewer thought it was a useless "non-feature." Tell that to YaeComWood now! Their H-T's were on the heavy side, but built like a tank, and mine have taken a few unexpected spills (often at the hands of other operators at Field Day,) and still work fine. The battery packs, however, were a bit overpriced, but can be rebuilt for a reasonable price by many second source suppliers.

I've got 9 or 10 Standard HX240 commercial HT's, and a C158 or something like that 2m HT, that I got very cheap. The HX240's were free, except for a VHF one I bought. All very good radios. Those HX240's, for the price new, are very tough little radios.

The reason that I was asking if the unit was a C826 is that I have the service manual for it "somewhere"!

Glen, K9STH

If you find someone who can service Standard rigs, let me know. I have a C5900 with a bad volume control, and I haven't been able to figure out how to physically change the darn thing. My dissecting microscope isn't any help, either.
    I don't think it's the control itself, I suspect a problem with the circuit board. I've had this thing for over 10 years, and the half that still works, works great. It logged lots of miles in several cars before developing the problem. I can still use it as a triband rig (6-2-UHF) but it's a bit inconvenient and I have to use an external speaker with a volume control because the audio is on full blast from the left side.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Thanks for the reply's .

Yes it is definately a C828m.. Fired it up lastnight and it works perfectly
    2w on low and 10w on high all for 10

Picture of rig

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (K0RGR @ April 15 2006,21:44)]If you find someone who can service Standard rigs, let me know. I have a C5900 with a bad volume control, and I haven't been able to figure out how to physically change the darn thing. My dissecting microscope isn't any help, either.
    I don't think it's the control itself, I suspect a problem with the circuit board. I've had this thing for over 10 years, and the half that still works, works great. It logged lots of miles in several cars before developing the problem. I can still use it as a triband rig (6-2-UHF) but it's a bit inconvenient and I have to use an external speaker with a volume control because the audio is on full blast from the left side.
    This fellow was a service tech for Standard when they were still in the Amateur market. (I bet he worked for HeathKit, also&#33
    I don't know if he still works on Standard radios, but it is worth contacting him. Good luck.
    ================================

Matt Adrian, KD8ZB
    T/A S.A.R. Technical Services
    1792 Nash Drive
    St. Joseph, MI 49085
    Telephone 616-429-2334
    =================================

VAG:

That definitely is NOT a C826!

Glen, K9STH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast