ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl

I'm new to the forum and looking for some help. I recently acquired a TS-930 (ser# 308xxxxx, early series) and it has some problems. When I first powered it up, it wouldn't transmit until I had played with it for 20 minutes or so. Today, it wouldn't transmit at all. This could be the through-hole plating problem, which I have not yet investigated because while I was working on the noisy PS fan, the entire digital display went dark and receive audio stopped working. Is the the PLL unlock problem or a PS problem?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!! KC0V - Jan

PS I was able to get the PLL to unlock, restoring the display and receiver. Transmit is intermittent, apparently based on temperature primarily -- when everything gets nice and warm, it transmits. Sounds like the RF unit through-hole plating problem in the old series radios. If the well-known fix for that problem doesn't help, I'll be back on the forum!

KC0V - Jan

Just thought ide mention if required, that there's a great selection of parts available on ebay at the moment for that rig. Sorry i cant help with your question, but thought it worth mentioning the bits. -73- EI3gab

Thanks for the pointer to eBay. I looked at the parts but am not ready to replace anything just yet. Here's the latest:
    I repaired the final amp board by soldering wire through each plated through hole. That worked great! The rig had perfect transmit power on all bands. Then, as I was just tuning around listening, the display went blank and the receiver died. Removing J9 on the digital board did not restore the display/receive. Now the display is blank and the On Air LED is lit. The power supply appears to be fine, power into each unit is good, so something must have cooked. Any ideas where I should start looking? I soldered wire into the suspect through-holes on the digital board to no effect.

hi,
    did you already removed R400 on signal unit because it smoked? You should replace it by 1K5 1 or 2 Watt.

Next you can investigate proper function of the three VCO's on signal unit by trying step be step the following frequencies (type the bandkeys in recieving position)):
    1,5mc
    10,0mc
    21,0mc
    If the display will go on in one of these frequencies, you have to search for bad function in the pll unit.

73 es 55
    Bernhard
    dk3iq