Callsign
ad: udcsys-1

Thread: Best way to learn iambic keying ?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

In the past I have always used a straight key, but now I have an iambic keyer and am practicing with it. #I have a Tempo iambic keyer and before this week had never used one. #It has DASH on the right side, and DOT on left. #I will be using it with my right hand.

EDIT: and a 2nd question: If I am going to use the keyer with my right hand should the DASH be used on the RIGHT side or the LEFT side ? Which side is normal for a person sending a DASH ?

I am able to read and copy morse code at 25-30+ wpm without a problem but have never had a bug or iambic keyer before this week.

Any assistance in appreciated about a place on the internet which has some files or instructions for learning to use an iambic keyer - PLEASE post any info here to assist me in approaching this new learning experience. #I will practice.

Thanks in advance for any posts.
    Cliff - KE5EZQ

73's, # Cliff ##- - #KZ5JO - -

You may find THIS helpful. #Click on the iambic keying links.

The operative word is "practice". #You can't learn how to actually send on an iambic keyer simply by reading something on the Internet any more than you can pick up a violin for the first time and play a Brahms concerto after reading about it.

You might also use Google and search for "iambic morse code characters". #Good luck!

Semper ubi sub ubi. 73
    K7KBN CWO4 USNR Ret.

There's an excellent tutorial at
    www.k7qo.net/sending.pdf

73 de W3GERry

Start slow, practice and push yourself to go faster each time while making sure your sending is still good quality. #Since you can copy 25-30wpm, you know waht good code sounds like. #Record yourself if needed.

All the online FAQs and hints and everything else can't replace you taking hold of the paddle and just doing it.

Edit note: I just read the FAQ on the difference between Mode A and Mode B iambic. It occurs to me, I guess I don't make use of the iambic feature but I never realised that. I've never run into an "issue" with this Mode deal. My first electronic keyer was a non-iambic homebrewed version of the TO keyer. My next, and one that I still have, is a homebrewed Accukeyer from the 1976 ARRL Handbook.

Again, start slow and practice.

Thanks, and please send my added (editied) question about which side is normal for a DASH ?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (k7kbn @ June 26 2005,10:22)]The operative word is "practice". #You can't learn how to actually send on an iambic keyer simply by reading something on the Internet any more than you can pick up a violin for the first time and play a Brahms concerto after reading about it.
    YOU CAN'T ? ? ? ? # # Well, Darn, I guess that must be the reason that I never COULD get that darn Brahms Concerto nailed down ! #I always got messed up where it goes "doodle doodle dee dee dee !" # #

BTW, to answer the question about which side is "normal" for dashes and dots- - #Right hand Vibroplexes were always set up to key dots with the thumb and manual dashes with the index finger. #Most people learn to send with electric keys the same way. #So if you are going to send left-handed, it would be best to wire your paddles ( or set a "reverse" switch in your keyer ) accordingly! #

Good luck #73 Jim

Jim and all.

OK, dits with the thumb. Good - and that is the way I have been practicing.

Thanks, and with lots of practice and more practice I will make it.
    Cliff

When I was getting the hang of it, I would talk to myself alot.

Soon it will be connected to your brain, and you will be suprised at how fast you can send with one.

Dave
    [B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]73 DE NZ3M[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][URL="http://www.nz3m.com/"][I]nz3m.com[/I][/URL][/B][URL="http://www.nz3m.com/chatstart.html"][B][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.qrz.com/www.nz3m.com"]
    [/URL]

Since you are not fixed into type A or B iambic keying yet, I would start off with type A. It has a kind of "auto-send" where the keyer will send the opposite of the last key punched. It allows you to let go of the paddles earlier, I think it would be easier to send fast code with it, but after 25 years of type B iambic keying I simply can NOT make the switch. I tried for about a month, then gave up.

And for goodness sake, actually use the paddles in iambic mode, don't simply slap them to the right or left as if they were a single paddle keyer (I think most people actually do this).

paul