ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

I bought an MC-80 with my rig, got good reports on the audio. Then I tried one of my impedance matched D-104s- Not quite as good. Then I connected a Turner +3, & got the the best unsolicited audio reports ever-
    Goes to show you never know till you try.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (kc0w @ May 17 2005,21:54)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (AB3BK @ May 18 2005,00:45)]If you are really worried about how you sound, you should listen to yourself with headphones hooked to another reciever.
    For best results run at least 1500 watts while monitoring yourself on the other radio. Exact freq of course. Tends to work best with real expensive rigs........Icom 7800, FT-1000D etc.

Tom kcw
    I use a realistic DX-390 with the RF gain as low as it can go. Works great.

The monitors in rigs are not really what you sound like on the air. The only way to know is with another reciever.

Dave
    [B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]73 DE NZ3M[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][URL="http://www.nz3m.com/"][I]nz3m.com[/I][/URL][/B][URL="http://www.nz3m.com/chatstart.html"][B][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.qrz.com/www.nz3m.com"]
    [/URL]

Default Ts 2000 using mc60 mike

I am using the MC60 on my ts2000.
    It is fine on all bands except 20 meters where it appears that the fist mike is better?
    I use the amp on board the mike instead of the set.
    On 20 it appears rf is getting in on tests
    Anyone have any ideas or setting suggestions?
    Regards
    Dave G0HIZ.

Wow,,,4 years old.

There is a supposed fix for the rf problem and i forget all the details now. Something about properly grounding the shield in the mic if i remember correctly. I tried it and it did not work,so i got a heil pr40 and all problems disappeared.
    Sometimes I wonder whether
    the world is being run by smart
    people who are putting us on
    or by imbeciles who really
    mean it.

I used a Heil GM-4 on my TS-2000 and it had excellent audio. I would often get compliments on my audio and a small percentage of contacts asked if I was using a Heil mic. I now own the Heil GM-5, works great.

Two comments:

1st, almost everybody I know is greatly surprised when they hear their own voice being played back to them. The main reason is that a great percentage of what we hear of our own voice is via bone conduction, rather than directly through the air. A normal microphone does not pick up any of that bone transmitted sound. Therefore, most people think there is "something wrong" with their rigs, and try to boost everything on the bottom end up. I am convinced that that is why so many of the ESSB crowd sound like they are transmitting from some kind of well or resonant chamber !

2nd, often RF feedback can be supressed by using very small value capacitors directly across the audio input and output leads in an amplified mic, and at least across the element in a standard dynamic mic. .001mfd is suggested as a starting point.

Hope this helps! 73, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AG3Y View Post
    Two comments:

1st, almost everybody I know is greatly surprised when they hear their own voice being played back to them. The main reason is that a great percentage of what we hear of our own voice is via bone conduction, rather than directly through the air. A normal microphone does not pick up any of that bone transmitted sound. Therefore, most people think there is "something wrong" with their rigs, and try to boost everything on the bottom end up. I am convinced that that is why so many of the ESSB crowd sound like they are transmitting from some kind of well or resonant chamber !

2nd, often RF feedback can be supressed by using very small value capacitors directly across the audio input and output leads in an amplified mic, and at least across the element in a standard dynamic mic. .001mfd is suggested as a starting point.

Hope this helps! 73, Jim
    Jim,,, In your case,,,would that be boneheadedness?
    Sometimes I wonder whether
    the world is being run by smart
    people who are putting us on
    or by imbeciles who really
    mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by AG3Y View Post
    Two comments:

1st, almost everybody I know is greatly surprised when they hear their own voice being played back to them.
    Yep. The best investment most could make if they want to improve the way they sound on the air is a cheap tape recorder.

Speech therapists use them extensively to help people improve the way they sound to others.

Unfortunately cheap tape recorders are not the commodity items they once were, since almost everything's gone digital. A digital audio recorder's not bad, and one's built into your computer (the software's free), but I still use a tape recorder for this.

Exclamation

I have had the best luck with the MC-60 WITHOUT the batteries.

Also, if you want to hear what you sound like, go here

http://www.globaltuners.com/

Register and listen to a receiver that you can hear yourself, its kinda kewl!
    The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2