ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Red face

We are setting up and EOC to operate when the local SKYWARN net is active. Our Emergency Manager gave us a Kenwood TK-730 (commercial) to use for our station...but their programming software will not take the Ham frequency I need. Is there any kind of modification to the radio or is there a different version of the software I need to accomplish this? I read somewhere this radio has two different frequency capabilities but have yet to figure out how to get it to 136-156mhz option.

If you have the "G" version, then it will do ham stuff. But if you don't, and have another version, then it won't.

I don't know of any mods that will allow it to transmit into the ham bands.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (KC5DFZ @ Mar. 03 2005,13:21)]I read somewhere this radio has two different frequency capabilities but have yet to figure out how to get it to 136-156mhz option.
    That bandsplit would have been determined at time of manufacture and the components inside the radio are for the as-manufactured bandsplit. You cannot change it in the software.

Good luck.

Yes the TK 730 will do ham. If it is a G model you will have limited freq's. Look at the sticker / read the modle number if a G is at the end visit vdrc.hobby-site.org on the home page there is a good tutorial.

If you have no G after the model # then all you need to do is run the program you have and change the radio to special tune.

Read the radio / modle / single head and so fourth / pick special tune. When you go to rite the radio it will stop you. Just reset the radio to program mode. When it asks are you sure about the change just klick ok. this will open the radio up and allow you to program any freq. 136-174

Visit the web site if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by KI6HFZ
    I apologize the web site was down for a few days due to power outages, it is up and running now. But I can probably answer your questions.

I just need to know what you want to do. If you just want to open the radio for ham and fire and it is not a "G" model radio you already have everything you need. Just go into program mode select the model, ect. but when you get the frequency window select "special tune" and then write to the radio. It will have a warning and show error on the radio screen. Put the radio back into program mode and then select OK (from the error prompt) I call it pushing the radio. I know it sounds scary but just try to force it, it will work. You will have 136 - 174. The only bad thing is it will wipe out any channels you already have programmed (so write them down before you do this).

If it is a "G" model just go to the web page and download the Power Point (on the home screen). This is a little more tricky. You need to know a little about electronics and if you do things wrong you can screw things up. With this mod you can get a variety of frequency's. It depends on two things first the supply voltage to the radio second the status of internal components. You should be able to get good ham frequency's but each radio is different and if you are going to put it into a car the battery voltage is important.

If you need anything just let me know. If you want to, join the Yahoo group and ask questions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by N4WCU
    I have a 730 high power 160 alfa. rig, and use kpg-7d ver 2.1. I can't get the web page you listed in your reply to display. I was wondering where you find the special freq. programming you mentioned. I am a Ham and a firefighter, and want to use my radio for both. Any help you can give me would be great!!!!!

Thanks, Brian

Default Kenwood Tk 730

I need someone to tell me how to program this radio for 2 meter ham use . the program I am using is Kenwood \Kpg7d .when I first bring up this program it says it is a Basic 32 ch ,Single head , single band radio ,it is set to uhf: 450-470 . I need to know how to turn this to vhf 144-148 for 2 meter . I need to know do you have to have the program cable hooked to radio and pc to do this ? and can you please tell me what settings I have to set to do this , and how do I put in offsets and tones? and if you want to name the channel as the repeater how you do that . I know this is alot to ask But I need to know these things to program my radio as of now the radio has nothing in it at all . thanks N8LXV Steve you may call me at (260) 572-6517 if this would help you