ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Thumbs down

Hello everyone,

I am constantly putting up with some local CB radio operators operating out of band, and with excessive amounts of power, sometimes beyond the legal maximum for even amateur radio operators. This is causing a major problem for the neighborhood (RFI) and operators in my area. I have called the FCC, written a comlpaint to fccham@fcc.gov, and nothing has been done. Are they usually that way, or am I doing something wrong here... PLEASE HELP

Perhaps you can rent one of these surplus doppler direction finder units from the FCC & do the enforcement yourself?

Heck, Riley & his boys don't seem to use them at all. In fact the units are in mint condition, still in original packaging, & have never seen the light of day in the field!

Please email your rental inquiry with specific needs to rholling@fcc.gov so he may get back to you in a few years. Your call is very important to him & be assured "he really is working on it" in between his many taxpayer all-expenses-paid hamfest appearances...

Press releases NOT INCLUDED, your response may vary...

Disgruntled,

The other day I logged an 80 (&#33 over 9 signal at 27.025 mhz, commonly known as the 'Superbowl' channel on 11 meters. That's right...the meter on the Icom Pro was still above 60 over with 18 db of attenuation switched in. Just a Delta loop here for the antenna. The signal had a bit of QSB and flanging so it was not local. I had gone down looking for interference that was nailing the whole 15 meter band. I found it. Add that to the fact that bootleggers are all over the place and you get the picture. The FCC cares not about this mess and the short answer from Riley is just to talk over 'em. For someone who wants to 'save the bands', that's damned pathetic. Somehow, we have to make enough noise and get enough notice so that it becomes obvious that a certain wannabe attorney / government job cling-on is not doing his gig and the right people in the right places hear about it. Maybe then we can get some action.

I sympathize with your predicament. A few years ago the whole west side of my town was experiencing am signals across most television channel, broadcast frequencies and 80-10meters. Having an old Browning CB mobile in my junk box, I hooked a 6 inch wire into the SO connector and, armed with a tape recorder, began circling the area, starting from my station and watching the analog meter. When I pulled up in front of the offending, overpowered CB station, I began recording the radio transmissions. The "guy" peeked out the window and saw my van and then immediately ceased transmitting. This was a licensed Tech amateur using a Yaesu 101D modified to operate on 11 meters. I forwarded my report along with the audio tape to the regional FCC office in Ohio and within 3 weeks, an FCC engineer and police officer confronted the offending HAM operator. No fines were levied, but, the Ham ended up selling his gear and was never heard "splattering" the radio spectrum again. Nothing like an audio recording along with the date and time and location to help with getting things started. Good luck and 73....Tony

Disgruntled: To be taken seriously, you need to identify yourself and let others know who you are. It would be interesting if you posted a copy of (exactly) the complaint that you sent to the FCC, also.

When I have provided the FCC with a specific complaint, I have received almost immediate responses. But of course I tell them who I am, provide them with my callsign, several ways to reach me (including e-mail, telephone, FAX, cell phone -- everything), and a great deal of information regarding who, exactly, I am complaining about.

If you have a "neighborhood" problem, including local RFI within your neighborhood, surely by now you know who is causing it. Name them. Provide their addresses. Provide substantiating evidence. The FCC will gladly step in and do something about it, but they do not respond to general complaints.

WB2WIK/6
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Yes, I have provided all information to the FCC, that you had suggested, the reason I don't identify on the board is because the "suspect" apparently visits this board occasionally.