ad: elecraft

FFC Rules to Elminate Vanity Call Sign Fee and GMRS License Fee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB3ZIM, May 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3ZIM

KB3ZIM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I note that the FCC is eliminating the fees for amateur radio license vanity calls signs. In addition, the commission is also eliminating the license fee for GMRS. The reason? Pure economics. Apparently, it costs more to process the fees (both granting licenses and vanity calls and refunding unsuccessful application fees) than the fees bring in. Wow...a government decision that actually makes sense!

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-eliminates-amateur-radio-vanity-call-sign-regulatory-fee

Here's the official FCC proposal (the pertainent vanity call and GMRS sections are on pages 8 and 9):

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0521/FCC-15-59A1.pdf

73 de KB3ZIM

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh that slap happy 'FFC'!

Chop W10 YW

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In unrelated government news, anyone with the first name of "John", "Steve" or "Bob" now get's a 5 pound block of USDA cheese FREE for life!!!

Tom KCØW

4. K8WZS

K8WZS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just F%^K*N great ! And now are vanity callsigns FREE ?

5. N7YVZ

N7YVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand why they call it a 'vanity' call sign. It's not like you can order up a callsign like K8JASON or A1A, it must follow the established format. What's vain about a call sign that already was or could be issued? It simply was AVAILABLE and SELECTED! Completely different from a auto vanity license plate, which by definition must NOT fit any state issued formats.

I don't know who originally thought it would be a good idea to call an off-the-shelf call sign 'vanity', but there you go.

6. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Vanity & GMRS Fees

The FFC? Must be the FEDERAL FREQUENCY CLOWNS? I though the only change to the GMRS system was the dropping of the $25 processing fee so that the total cost would now be $60 for a 5 year license down from $85 ? As usual you read it over & over again & try & make sense out of what they are saying & then wait until it actually goes in affect so you then know what they were saying. It appears a Vanity call sign will become FREE under this proposal but time will tell but it should be perfectly clear before my renewal in 2016 but time will tell. LOL {:>) :rolleyes:

Clayton
    W4KVW

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes... they want to "elminate" vanity callsign fees.

vy 73 es gl,
    Bryan WA7PRC

8. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

For GMRS licenses, it appears that they are only eliminating the $25 regulatory fee, which is in addition to the $65 application fee. It doesn't say anything about eliminating the $65 application fee.

9. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I say raise the fees so it supports processing of it. I have no problem with that, even if its $100. There are far too many programs that are not self supporting out there - IMO , users should pay the cost of a government service - not the taxpayers. I pay so many taxes now that I derive no benefit from.

10. K8WZS

K8WZS Ham Member QRZ Page

the question herein is if the regulatory fee is DROPPED because it is NOT creating revenue ...then does that mean the vanity call sign program is dropped also. I mean if it is not creating revenue enough to cover the costs ....then HOW can they still offer a vanity call free?

11. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth*

*always thought that was an odd expression.

12. K1DBO

K1DBO Ham Member QRZ Page

They'll make it up in volume.

13. KD0VHN

KD0VHN Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems from the FCC document on the proposed rules on the vanity call sign they are considering the cost for applying with the cost of maintaining it. The reasoning appears to be since the amateur radio license itself is free (excluding the test fee applied by the testing body) there's no reason to charge for changing the call sign since the costs of the change exceed what they collect. Also, since these fees are collected from individuals rather than corporations as the case with broadcasting and other commercial licensing programs it may not make sense to increase the fee to cover costs entirely. They don't seem to say what the actual increase would be to cover the costs but it may be cost prohibitive between costs in man hours, overhead, and financial transaction fees. Remember that our licenses are actually free and don't cost anything regulatory wise to get and maintain. The couple hundred thousand they actually collect is an insignificant amount of income compared to the fees they get in regulating commercial use of the airwaves. It's probably adequately covered in budgeted tax income which most individuals already pay.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  14. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There isn't any justification for a vanity call sign from a hard nosed analysis of regulatory need, since a normal sequential call sign does that just fine. A vanity call sign is really a luxury, maybe even frivolous to some people (sort of like call sign license plates).

I think a vanity call is a nice option. But I agree with KQ0J, if the vanity call sign program is to exist, then raise the fees to support it.

15. KD4VJP

KD4VJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Better question, why would any Ham want to display their callsign on a license plate?