ad: MyersEng-1

ID-5100E Firmware Update Release E3 and CS-5100 Cloning Software Update Ver. 1.20

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

ID-5100E Firmware Update Release E3 and CS-5100 Cloning Software Update Ver. 1.20

Icom have published a significant firmware upgrade for the ID-5100 Dual band D-STAR transceiver and cloning/programming software upgrade for the CS-5100.

Each update includes numerous enhancements such as an increase in the number of repeater list entries, call sign and GPS memories.

A summary of these and other enhancements can be found on the downloadable ID-5100 Upgrade Leaflet PDF.

The ID-5100 firmware (Version E3) and CS-5100 (Version 1.20) can be downloaded from the support section of the Icom Inc. website as follows: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm
    Before you install the firmware, download the installation guide using the link on the firmware update page.

ID-5100’s improvements

1. The number of repeater lists, Your Call Sign and GPS memory has been increased.
    - Repeater list: from 1200 (30 groups) to 1500 (50 groups)
    - Your Call Sign: from 200 to 300
    - GPS memory: from 200 to 300

2. Auto Dimmer condition settings are added to keep or cancel the function.
    - An item is added to allow you to increase or not increase the LCD backlight level when you push the PTT button.
    - An item is added to allow you to increase or not increase the LCD backlight level when you receive a DV signal in the DV mode.

3. Bluetooth® headset functions are added to select the desired [PTT] and microphone combination when the Bluetooth® headset is used.
    - An option is added to transmit audio on the connected microphone by pushing the [PTT] on the Bluetooth® headset.
    - An option is added to transmit audio on a Bluetooth® headset by pushing the [PTT] on the connected microphone.

4. An option is added in the Tone function to select different tones separately in transmission and reception such as CTCSS, DTCS, tone frequency and code.

5. An item is added to change the backlight brightness level according to the time setting.

6. An item is added to mute the received audio on the SUB band when transmitting.

7. An item is added to continuously display the power source voltage.

8. The cooling fan control has been optimized.

9. The previously selected Quick Menu screen item is displayed, even if the transceiver is turned OFF and then ON.

10. A scan pauses when a short DV signal (Kerchunk) is received during the DV mode scan (Including the DR scan).

11. The ID-5100 now displays the changed [TO] and [FROM] data on the DR screen when using the RS-MS1A.

Important Information

Refer to ID-5100A/ID-5100E Firmware update information— Release E3 for details.
    • To set the added features in Release E3, use CS-5100 Revision 1.20.
    • An OPC-2350LU, OPC-1529R or OPC-2218LU is required to install the firmware update. To use the OPC-2218LU for the first time, a USB driver is required.
    • CAUTION: You MUST first save your transceiver's data onto an SD card or to your PC using the CS-5100 cloning software. ALL the transceiver’s data will be erased during the update.
    • Never turn OFF the equipment power or disconnect the data communication cable during the update.
    • You must update both the controller (front panel) and the transceiver while they are connected together.
    • If you update from Release E2 or earlier, you cannot downgrade to Release E2 or earlier again.
    • Before downloading, thoroughly read "Firmware update instructions (here)" to know what the update requires. The following firmware has been updated:
    - CPU M to Version 1.20
    - CPU C to Version 1.20
    - DSP to Version 1.11

CS-5100’s improvements

1. The number of repeater lists, Your Call Sign and GPS memory has been increased.
    - Repeater list: from 1200 (30 groups) to 1500 (50 groups)
    - Your Call Sign: from 200 to 300
    - GPS memory: from 200 to 300

2. Auto Dimmer condition settings are added to keep or cancel the function.
    - An item is added to allow you to increase or not increase the LCD backlight level when you push the PTT button.
    - An item is added to allow you to increase or not increase the LCD backlight level when you receive a DV signal in the DV mode.

3. A setting is added to select the desired [PTT] and microphone combination when the Bluetooth® headset is used.
    - An option is added to transmit audio on the connected microphone by pushing the [PTT] on the Bluetooth® headset.
    - An option is added to transmit audio on a Bluetooth® headset by pushing the [PTT] on the connected microphone.

4. An option is added in the Tone setting to select separate tones for transmit and receive, such as CTCSS, DTCS, Tone frequency and code.

5. An item is added to change the backlight brightness level according to the time setting.

6. An item is added to mute the received audio on the SUB band when transmitting.

7. An item is added to continuously display the power source voltage.

Important Information

• CS-5100 Revision 1.20 can read icf files that are made by Revision 1.10 or earlier.
    • Use the ID-5100 Release E3 firmware version to use the added features in CS-5100
    • Before downloading, thoroughly read ID-5100A/E Cloning Software Instructions for installation details and what is required for the installation

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

2. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's all dandy but they did nothing that fixes that UGLY Monochrome Display which is the Biggest issue with most of their New radios.Adding some Color would be a Really NICE feature since it appears they are looking too make the radios better & that would also include the display on the IC-9100 & 7100 as well.That would be an improvement worth it's weight in Gold. ;)

Clayton
    W4KVW

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While they're at it, a 'standard' data connector to support an external TNC would be a really nice thing to have. You can't easily use this radio to operate digital modes other than DSTAR, making it pretty much useless for public service in many locales, unless you cobble together some kind of outboard solution. I wonder how the touch screen will hold up in a mobile environment.

4. N7YVZ

N7YVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Two items jump out at me here. One, allowing the brightness level to follow the time of day is a sorely needed fix. I do hope they implemented it correctly (meaning it actually works as desired).

Second, the muting of the sub band while transmitting on the main. I don't know why this wasn't implemented when the radio was new, but better late than never.

5. VE3ZZT

VE3ZZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have difficulty in getting the ID-5100A into firmware update mode. I have carefully read all of the documentation however the problem lies with "press the QUICK button while turning the power don." This isn't working for me. I have tried all the varients.... Power off, press QUICK, turn power on, 2nd = Power off, press QUICK, turn power on through the power on self test. Nothing. Any suggestions. I want to get this update installed.

6. KK6OGG

KK6OGG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having to go in and out of multiple menu'menu's to set ctss tones. It should all be under the tone button. And if they want to also have it under main / dup-tone that's fine.

7. N8QLT

N8QLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this is a late reply- but my experience with entering Upgrade Firmware Mode was the same as yours, until I made absolutely SURE that BOTH the volume and squelch knobs (inner and outer knobs, all four) were turned to exactly 9 o'clock. The the radio went into upgrade firmware mode.

Geez!