ad: M2Ant-1

New Firmware Update for the IC-7600 HF Amateur radio Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

New Firmware Update for the IC-7600 HF Amateur radio Transceiver

Icom have announced a significant firmware update for the IC-7600 HF Transceiver at the Dayton Hamvention 2015. The update provides a new range of functions including waterfall screen for the band scope, amongst many!

Details of each update and download instructions are as follows.
    Please note that before you install the firmware, you should download the installation guide using the link on the firmware update page:
    IC-7600 All versions: Firmware Update Version 2.00 – Download here!

Improvements

• Waterfall screens, mouse operation, and other additional functions have been added to the spectrum scope.
    • An APF AF Level setting has been added.
    • CI-V commands for antenna control, logging software and RIT/DELTA-TX have been added.
    • TX Delay (HF/50M) settings have been added to adjust the TX delay time.
    • A Standby setting has been added to remotely turn ON the IC-7600 transceiver by a command from the REMOTE jack.
    • “MOS-FET” is now the default value of “SEND Relay Type.”

Further Information

For more information, please refer to IC-7600 Information for Firmware version 2.00.

• Firmware can be updated using a USB flash drive. Thoroughly read Section 14 (UPDATING THE FIRMWARE) of the instruction manual to know what the update requires.
    • Backup your transceiver’s data onto a USB flash drive as it is possible that your data could get lost or corrupted during the update. Thoroughly read Section 10 (File saving) of the instruction manual for details.
    • Never turn OFF the transceiver power during the update.

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

2. N2RRA

N2RRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Man! I just love ICOM and my ICOM 7600 even more. If this update turns out to be flawless this rig has just become an even more incredible radio.

Thanks ICOM, or who ever is assisting in making my 7600 that much more of an enjoyable experience every time I hit that power button. IT'S AN ICOM BABY!

73!!

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do they let you backup the Original Firmware ? So you can put it back, Just in case ?

Have Fun.

4. W2TMD

W2TMD Ham Member QRZ Page

One needs to go no further then to read the original post. Last 3 lines read as follows.

"• Backup your transceiver’s data onto a USB flash drive as it is possible that your data could get lost or corrupted during the update. Thoroughly read Section 10 (File saving) of the instruction manual for details.
    • Never turn OFF the transceiver power during the update."

5. KA9JLM

Glad You set me straight. Thank You.

Radio Settings Data is not the same as Firmware, Last time I checked.

6. W2TMD

W2TMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry Don. Not trying to set you straight. Just help. All versions of the Firmware are at the Icom site to download as well. They will always be there for download.

Vinny

7. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Installed it last night and the result is a brand new radio! They did an excellent job; just can't wait to get home tonight and get on the air.

de NK2U

8. VE4CY

VE4CY Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know that you can install a previous version of the firmware... My unmodified Android smart phone won't allow downgrades and neither will my Canon DSLR Camera. ICOM might follow the same convention. (Does anyone know for sure)?

But... There are quite a few people who have installed v2.0 (including myself) and no problems have come to light so far. I suppose if a serious bug is found, V2.01 of the firmware will follow :)

FWIW, the waterfall is on by default, but if you don't like it, there's an ON/OFF choice in the menu that lets you revert back to the original 'spectrum scope' display.

9. KK7PW

KK7PW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Excellent upgrade and new functionality as anticipated. Seems to hear a little better as well -- perhaps an artifact from software tweaks made for sister rigs?

73 from West Seattle. de KK7PW

10. KA9JLM

Yep, I know a lot of stuff is like that now a days. You have to hack the darn things to get the original firmware that comes on YOUR device, And make your own backup.

Sounds like you guys are having way to much fun.

Enjoy.

11. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend of mine picked up a 7600. He decided to sell his 7800 because there wasn't enough difference for the amount of time that he was on the air.

12. KK5DR

KK5DR Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to backup the firmware. If you don't like the updates, you can install the older version from a saved DAT file on your PC. I don't know why you would want to go back. All of ICOMs updates have been good. They either fixed a fault with the previous version, or add a feature.
    I have done a dozen firmware updates on my many ICOM HF radio I have, or had.
    I have never had a problem with any of them. Always an improvement.

13. K5VGS

K5VGS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the new firmware. Icom did a good job on the updated firmware.

14. KD4HSO

KD4HSO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy one pending YL approval. I was hesitant thinking they would release a 7650 with these capabilities, but a firmware rev seems to have done it. I think it will do everything I want:

AH-4 tuner control
    RX antenna input
    Waterfall
    250 kHz bandscope
    USB audio

The only thing a wish it had was 10 MHz reference input. Anyway, time to upgrade my IC-725 I bought in '92.

Hopefully someone will post a review on YouTube.

15. N4MBN

N4MBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

Should I do the install now or wait a few months to see what bugs are found? I have never done a firmware upgrade and am nervous about putting a new version on my 7600. Best rig I have ever had.
    Thanks from David N4MBN