ad: Alphaant-1

New NASA Deputy Administrator is a Radio Ham

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 17, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

New NASA Deputy Administrator is a Radio Ham

Prof. Dava Newman KB1HIK was sworn in as NASA Deputy Administrator on May 15 from her MIT office

Her appointment had been confirmed by the U.S. Senate on April 27. NASA Administrator Charles Bolden (formerly KE4IQB) said, “I am delighted with the Senate confirmation of Dr. Dava Newman to be the deputy administrator of NASA. The strong bipartisan support Dr. Newman received in the Senate is a reflection of her well-earned reputation and renown as a global leader in science and technology research and policy.”

Prof Dava Newman KB1HIK sworn in as NASA Deputy Administrator - Credit MIT.png

Newman is a professor of aeronautics and astronautics and of engineering systems. On the MIT faculty since 1993, she directs the Institute’s Technology and Policy Program and MIT Portugal Program, and is co-director of the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics’ Man Vehicle Laboratory. She is a Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology faculty member, and a Margaret McVicar Faculty Fellow.

Her research has included modeling human performance in low and micro-gravity conditions, examining the dynamics and control of astronaut motion, and the development of assisted walking devices for the physically handicapped. Perhaps her most prominent project has been development of the BioSuit, a skintight spacesuit that would give astronauts unprecedented comfort and freedom in exploration of planetary surfaces and extra-vehicular activity.

After accepting the confirmation, Newman said, “It's an enormous honor to serve at NASA in times when our country is extending humanity's reach into space while strengthening American leadership here on Earth. I'm profoundly grateful to President Obama, the United States Senate, and Administrator Bolden — along with everyone at MIT. I can't wait to come aboard."

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And, we see he is quite the "active" ham. In truth, Newman AND Bolden haveof had about as much to do with the Amateur Radio Service as my golden retriever.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They just don't have time to play no more.

4. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

'He' is the she. And yeah I'm not particularly excited anymore that half of NASA has a ticket when it's pretty evident most of them don't actually give two craps about the subject and did it cause someone told them too.

5. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good, Excellent!

This was required and is not a mere happy coincidence as this might produce increased empathy between NASA/Goddard Spaceflight Centre/Johnson Spaceflight Centre and the Crews. Remember, all SEVEN of the Columbia Astronauts killed in 2003 WERE RADIO AMATEURS. So we have a cause to be listened to?

I had my own theory in development and then confirmed after watching Tom Hanks' 12-hr Marathon Visual Feast of: "From the Earth to The Moon", (DVD) wherein he depicts a narrative between astronauts from an early Apollo scheduled mission, pointing out to controllers on an Apollo training capsule, how in Wintertime human response times (and I add thinking processes, too), are slowed or retarded.

Yes, I believe that statistics prove that accident rates in this technology increase in wintertime ...

So, I sent an email to Nasa PR desk on the 2nd Feb, this year, which went like this.

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Note if you will for a moment that all three major incidents attributed in the end to Gross Human Negligence, occurred in wintertime.

Apollo 1 was Jan. 27, 1967
    Challenger was Jan 28, 1986
    Columbia was February 1, 2003.
    — (Columbia was launched Jan 16th, with foam from the primary rocket hitting a wheel-bay, dislodging tiles, probable cause for the re-entry burn-up.)

I believe that for the statistics thus presented, I have a simple human-factor element that you may have already considered, since these dreadful losses occurred.

Here it is:

The human brain reduces in its clear thinking & efficiency in cold weather ...
    You can train & fight against these natural tendencies as much as you like but they cannot be conquered, by any means we know, I strongly believe at this time.
    Therefore, my advice is that mission critical or launch activities should be deferred, entirely in the forthcoming and indeed future foreseeable NASA/JAXA missions, until the Springtime(s), accordingly.

Yours sincerely,

Mr Graeme Stewart, esq.

PS.
    I also think that it's an aggravated cold-weather phenomenon, not just seasonal, that may affect the Neocortex, Amygdala & hippocampus, or indeed the darned lot.

And! You got a Madam.
    Which is hopefully good?

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  6. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And you know that how?

7. KJ6MC

KJ6MC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am just hoping that now that everyone has their Obamaphone paid for, we can get back to the actual business of manned space exploration.

8. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

We know that because you can't be an active ham and not leave a footprint. She has an eeeency weeency part of a little toe print. Bolden has none at all and a lapsed ticket to boot.

9. KA9JLM

The last person that ever Really cared about NASA got busted for taking contributions from voters that liked what he did for the community and country.

Just a first hand observation on my part.

Carry On.

10. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm .. is that so? You don't know what you don't know. You don't know what she does with ham radio. Sure, it's fair to assume that someone in
    her position doesn't get there by sitting at home all day, bitching on QRZ.com or chasing DX.

You are not all that active either it seems. I can't find you in my log and I'm on the air quite often ;)

11. KA9JLM

She is OK.

Some just can not put up with a Female in charge.

I think it is cool really.

I wish her good luck.

12. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hell I don't care if she's female. I do care that a field I care a lot about is cheapened for PR purposes by ticket punchers climbing a NASA career ladder.

13. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't you mean Bush Phone or Clinton Phone? The program that provides those phones was around and in place long before Obama even thought about running for president. PLEASE, give credit where credit is due.

14. KG4VWY

KG4VWY Ham Member QRZ Page

What a bunch of sour pusses commenting. Just goes to show you all the old grumps in this hobby.

15. KA9JLM

I am not a Grump.

The Fact is, That no one really cares what we did at NASA.

You never hear about the Space Station Supplies that never get there , On our new Ride.

Lucky our Humans made the trip.