ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Radio Comm's From and to Nepal

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN7S, Apr 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. 9N1KK

9N1KK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish there was mention of Nepali hams working within Nepal from the time of the earthquake. They are doing a double role of ham operators as well as information gatherers as there is no control station or such facility to search for people and information.

3. N2OBM

N2OBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Pravin,

Do you know if the VHF repeater ever got released from Customs? I see much chatter about it in another forum, that it would make such as difference.Then, in other posts, comments about amateurs that come into country may not be able to operate. What a contradiction, isn't that the intended goal? Please do tell.

4. 9N1KK

Can you please tell me the person or the organization trying to bring in the VHF repeater? I can inquire and let you know asap. I know of one repeater in operation, which is highly under-utilized. I don't think there are too many people using or have VHF sets. I am now wondering how it is going to make such a difference.

73, Pravin

5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is possible to have a temporary liscense for law officers, or firefighters, or both, if they want to do so. Then, get them liscensed.

Maybe donors would send VHF handheld radios and external batteries so the VHF repeater is not "underutilized".

Do you have FRS radio, or, a business radio band set aside for road workers and construction workers?

Rescue workers can use FRS. More help needed over here. Like that.

6. 9N1KK

I just talked to people who currently have the under-utilized repeater. They are saying it is open and they welcome any operator to use it to help with relief effort.

7. 9N1KK

Law officers can get license immediately. Firefighters either of the government or recognized by government can also take license immediately.
    It is possible to take a temporary license if you have radio license from somewhere else also. It takes maximum of a day to get the license.
    There is no FRS radio or business radio band set aside.

8. KC7RUN

KC7RUN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just left a message with Dan Henderson at the ARRL N1ND to return my phone call in regard to this issue as I’m writing an article on it for a local club.

On April 29, 2015 the IARU requested the Nepal Volunteer Emergency Communicators to move from 14.2015.00 Mhz to 14.300.00 Mhz. If you have ever listened to INTERCON/MMSN Network(s) then you know that the leadership of those two nets are going to stick to their guns because they believe, wrongly, that they own the frequency. Ironically enough, both INTERCON and Maritime Mobile Service Network use the excuse that “the IARU has designated 14.300.00 Mhz as a high volume/emergency frequency” to justify their efforts and maintaining that frequency 24 hours a day, yet, they are unwilling to release the frequency to the victims and emergency operators who are assisting Nepal Earthquake victims.

What say you? Should INTERCON/MMSN release frequency or should they stand their ground because no one at the IARU contacted their Net controls to let them know they were moving to 14.300.00 Mhz?

9. N0PIX

N0PIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You have got to be kidding me... the lids on 14.300 aren't releasing the frequency for emergency traffic?

10. W7CJD

Wouxon Radio, China has handheld radios specifically designed with loud audio for law enforcement and firefighters.

I read at RFA app on my iPod Touch there are millions of dollars (USD equivalent) donated by citizens of China for Nepal thru donations by internet.

Perhaps, Wouxon Radio could get money to send transceivers (with accessories) and perhaps external batteries to keep the transceivers recharged.

It would also be good, if every village (even the smallest village) had a transceiver and a hand-generator that works well. I think Australians have experience for more remote locations.

Are there people restoring cell phone service?

Are there people restoring internet service?

That would help get information out for family living elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  11. KC7RUN

Tune to the 14.300.00 Mhz.. Business as usual.

I spoke with K0BOG - Chuck at the ARRL as well. He stated that the ARRL was aware of the frequency change and that they had expected the INTERCON/MMSN Nets to comply without question. They are an embarrassment to ham radio at this time. Please be reminded that not ALL USA radio amateurs operate in this manner.

12. W7CJD

Embarrassment?

How about lose their liscense?

Assistance is an imperative. Much of Nepal is supported from family earnings outside Nepal under ordinary circumstances. These are emergency circumstances. Much help has to be coordinated.

They could divert some traffic to alternate means, for notifying family, reported online. Even Facebook has stepped up.

If they put together who has internet, and where, traffic could within reason be diverted. An announcement on the hour would do that.

13. KC7RUN

14. W7CJD

Here is the online news story, about donations for Nepal by citizens of China:

http://qz.com/394927/chinese-citizens-are-donating-millions-of-dollars-to-nepal-earthquake-relief/

15. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To get my typical Pollyanna comment in, perhaps something good will come of this, like recognition that 14.300 really is supposed to be the disaster relief watering hole.