ad: M2Ant-1

Nepal - Earthquake

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AB3EH, Apr 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AB3EH

AB3EH Ham Member QRZ Page

Gopal Madhavan VU2GMN, President of ARSI (Amateur Radio Society of India), Director/Chairman Region 3 of IARU has said in an email to ARSI members as below.

I have just spoken to 9N1AA on the band and he has confirmed that individual operators from other countries are NOT permitted to operate in Nepal even during the emergency unless they are part of a government teamThis is for information of anyone trying to go across to help as they may not be allowed to operate after getting there.
    Gopal
    Gopal Madhavan VU2GMN/ M0GDB

2. K4KFQ

K4KFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very typical of third world countries. So instead of DXpeditions, governments can organize hams, military, or civilians, to be located throughout Nepal with their equipment. Use DXpedition funding, if necessary.

3. KC7RUN

KC7RUN Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a load of… well, you know what it is. I agree, typical third world country bureaucratic red tape and nonsense. I guess when they really need the help they’ll let the rest of the world know. Not to sound like a miscreant, but what is the purpose of the emergency net as of now? Nepal has an operating FM Repeater which authorities are now using as a communications platform for rescue and relief.

I’ve been monitoring the nets via SDR and live air and have not heard any information passed that was relevant to the cause of assistance. No health and welfare traffic despite the claims that that is their purpose, along with emergency comms. What are they there for again? What is their purpose on the frequency? What information are they passing and where is it going? The NCS’s stay on the phone a lot so someone has a phone line somewhere. Is it just me being a condescending ass or are these valid questions?

4. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are valid questions. For the past 24 hours all I've heard on 14205 and 14215 are constant announcements that the frequency has to remain clear. Sometimes NCS asks for super stations to help. When asked what kind of help they say to make announcements in their country that the frequency has to remain clear.

5. KC7RUN

KC7RUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. I’m done trying to help these guys. I refuse to help a nation that refuses to help itself. They’re on their own.

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they just don't want or need your help ?

7. KB8O

KB8O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

if they want the help or not , it's still no reason to splatter the DX cluster with useless spots about an EMERGENCY freq...

8. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know the situation here, but you have to remember that people rushing in trying to help without coordination can cause more chaos. They can be working at cross-purposes with established nets, not know the local protocols, and give out information or directions that confuse everyone who is listening. I am not saying that we as hams will do this; many of us are well trained in emergency procedures and certainly want to work with the local groups. But it is at least possible that the Nepalese government wants to keep control of how rescue/relief efforts are organized.

9. VA3QR

VA3QR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been acting as a relay and frequency referee for the past couple of nights. Most of the people who have been involved don't have a great deal of emcomm experience, but they're trying and generally doing a good job. The jammers are being annoying and, no matter what anyone says, are at the very least causing intentional interference and I hope at least some of them are eventually dealt with (though probably not). People keep pushing spots because people keep trying to tune up on those frequencies, and if it keeps some people clear, then at least they're helping.

Whether or not the Nepalese government wants foreign operator assistance, there are 4 or 5 active radio operators inside the disaster zone who are in regular contact with NCS when propagation permits. At least some of those operators are receiving assistance from local police INSIDE Kathmandu in the form of solar power and a safe place to operate (as per the IARU R3 report I just received). Even if they're just checking in once in a while to maintain the network, those lines of communications could become vital. If not, what have we (outside of the area) lost? Nothing. What have we gained? Experience. And maybe there are lessons the Nepalese government and emergency services can learn from this. Either way, even for the sake of MAYBE passing traffic, can we just leave 20KHz or so of bandwidth clear for a few days/a week at most?

I'll probably be monitoring again tonight. If there's even a chance that I can be of help while doing what I love to do, then I'll be listening.

10. VU2RBI

VU2RBI Ham Member QRZ Page

National Institute of Amateur radio Hyderabad ,India has sent a five member team to Nepal for relief activities. The members are vu2myh Ram Mohan ,vu2jos Jose Jacob, vu2kd sushil, vu2mcw mukesh and vu2ftp. They have gone for relief operations through National Disaster Management Authority. I request radio hams look for them on hf radio. They have carried 5hf sets, 9 vhf sets ,antennas and power supplies.

11. K7LAG

K7LAG Ham Member QRZ Page

Rule #1 of responding to an emergency: DO NOT self-deploy. Check in, find out if you're needed, and if so where, THEN go.

As far as these so-called "emergency" frequencies. I think I've heard maybe one relevant thing transmitted, and it was a request for information about a person who was known to be in that part of the world. It was a welfare check, which is, by definition, NOT emergency traffic.

Sounds to me like it's just some more folks who want to feel important, and who want to tell their buddies that they helped out with the Nepal quake even though it doesn't seem (to me) like they're actually accomplishing anything.

12. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

What I heard on the "net" last night was a person/persons looking for donations of ham radio equipment. I was a little taken back because: (1) by the time it gets in to the affected region, regular comms will probably be at least partially back online; (2) my understanding it that only a handful (literally) of amateur radio operators even reside in the affected area --- who is going to operate this donated equipment once it arrives? And who gets what?; (3) as always, unless rescue/recovery teams (including emcomm) are allowed in to do their thing, the misery will be extended for months/years; (4) I expect most of the donated equipment to either arrive damaged or to be sold for cold hard cash; (5) Cash to charitable orgs such as the Red Cross and Samaritan's Purse are the best use of your money. They have the infrastructure in place to use it to the best advantage.

13. KB8O

KB8O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K7LAG , Your exactly right , I can't express to people how important it is to send your queries to the proper websites listed on the Nepal main page.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  14. VU3ONE

VU3ONE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah right, smells very typical of third world countries, red tape and unnecessary bureaucracy being part of problem.

15. G7HZZ

G7HZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting comment, which poses a few questions. Exactly which "Guys" - Nepal or the NCS? What help have you provided? What evidence do you have that Nepal refuses to help itself? Do you realise that 'they' (Nepal) are not on their own - UK, Australia and India have each provided more assistance in money and resources than the USA so far.

I am interested to understand your position more accurately.

I agree, to a degree, that the 14.205 net may not have provided a significant contribution at times, but the situation in Nepal could easily turn much much worse.

The risk of further significant tremors (even at lower intensity) can still set back any rescue efforts (including internal / external communications) - the effects of subsequent tremors are very often cumulative. The fragility of Nepal's 'flaky' comms infrastructure is very evident outside the major cities, where communications may, in normal times, take a very long time to install or repair. Abnormal traffic loads from mobile phones, tweeting, etc, and clogging up the phone/comms network can easily overload any system (viz Boston Marathon) and result in a further critical deterioration in service. Search and Rescue needs to be well-co-ordinated, and major disasters impact on that capability, even affecting the core command and control systems - even in 'western' countries - it is not just a 'third world' issue. Also, throwing resources into a disaster zone - whether is it a plane load of used ham radios or 100 tonnes of donated cola quickly causes 'bottle-necking' ~ more haste, less speed. (Much aid to the Indonesian tsunami 'bottle-necked' due to factors unknown to agencies even 10km down the road). Finally, the fact that we see reporters 'on the ground' flying in to reveal "these people need help" is of little real help to anyone: few such investigative visits actually provide much aid or assistance, and many are little more than voyeurism on 'our' behalf, giving a narrow media-centric view of the reality on the ground.

Earthquakes are very, very nasty, don't underestimate their short and long term physical, social, psychological, administrative or other effects (e.g. Haiti).