ad: M2Ant-1

Possible Closure of Some FCC Field offices

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N9XR, Apr 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N9XR

N9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

LINK

16 of 24 field offices could be shut down and employment terminations.

2. AC0ML

AC0ML Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, You think there's a lot of idiots on now(ie 14.313 etc.), Just wait till they do this! It'll be 11 meters on all bands all the time!

3. N4HFA

N4HFA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another fine example of government run amok. When saving money trumps doing the job right, it becomes a truly sad day for all. I can only imagine what our ham bands will become. Is there no one in government left with a brain or any common sense?

4. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be more concerned about how full the broadcast bands will get with pirate stations...and what the harmonics some of those stations will do to 6 meters.

5. W5NIO

W5NIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great time to start up a so called "low power" am of fm radio station. lol

6. N5WXB

N5WXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just flippin insane! 14.313 will seem normal instead of being the Lunatic Fringe Net.

Call your congress person

7. W5NIO

let us hams file a petition to make a "volunteer police department"

8. W5NIO

If the pirate was bad enough, imagine how grumpy a field office marshal would be coming down here in Houston all the way from D.C.!!!

9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO you hit the nail on the head. No, there isn't any common sense any more. I don't want to get into politics here but there have been a lot of tax cuts over the last 30-40 years. Any one (or any entity) who's income has been cut so low they can't pay their bills would suffer the same fate. Cuts have to be made some where.

Personally, I would be willing to pay $20 for license renew so that we could have MORE enforcement in the Ham and CB bands. But, this is just my opinion. And you know what they say about that.

10. WD8CRT

WD8CRT Ham Member QRZ Page

Negative harmonics?
    How does a signal in the FM band (Fundamental freq 88.1 - 107.9 MHz) produce a NEGATIVE harmonic in the 50 Mhz region?
    The 2nd harmonic falls within the High VHF TV band, the 3rd is higher and so on.

Intermod goes UP too as the sum of the absolute value of coefficients of all components of predicted intermodulation product. For example, if the intermod product generated is at 385 MHz and results from the combination of the second harmonic of 155 MHz adding with the fundamental of 75 MHz, the prediction would show as 2x(155) + 1x(75) = 385 MHz. The order of this particular product would be the sum of 2+1 or 3rd order product.

11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A good ham buddy of mine (call sign intentionally withheld) who is a retired broadcast chief engineer of exceptional professional status recently informed me that the FCC is out-sourcing a lot of routine inspection duties now.

He was recruited to work part-time and tour an area this summer doing scheduled walk throughs, field measurements, maintenance log / technical documentation checks; essentially looking over the station engineers shoulder on behalf of the FCC.

If a station agrees to this and passes (and pays for some of it?) they get some degree of indemnity from the FCC against surprise visits or heavier scrutiny for a period of time. I assume that doesn't apply to some later detected and unattended major malfunction though.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

73 de John - WØPV

12. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

88.1-107.9Mhz is not the only broadcast portion within the RF spectrum. Think more along the lines of 40 meters (7Mhz) Do the math on the harmonics of high powered stations down there and you'll see that is likely what N1EN is referring to.

13. W4VR

W4VR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is old news!

14. WD8CRT

WD8CRT Ham Member QRZ Page

The post was SPECIFIC to FM pirates causing 6M QRM, so I did a specific reply.
    I am a retired broadcast engineer (escaped while it was still fun) and now doing BIG RF.

Even the 7th harmonic of 7 MHz should be so far down in the dirt that if a ham was tearing up 6M he'd have to be close by.
    Solid state rigs don't spew the harmonics like old tube gear could. If they did, they wouldn't last very long and would soon be "no factor".
    Jus sayin

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  15. K2MYS

K2MYS QRZ Member QRZ Page

Common Sense is not common any more