ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio Deluxe at the 2015 IDXC in Visalia; Says 'Farewell' to a team member.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6EY, Apr 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N6EY

N6EY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Press Release
    Ham Radio Deluxe News
    Tampa, FL; Dallas, TX; St. Paul, MN — April 15, 2015

Ham Radio Deluxe Software, LLC, is proud to announce its attendance at the 2015 International DX Convention in Visalia, California, being held April 17-19th at the Visalia Convention Center. HRD’s sales team will be exhibiting in the vendor display area on Friday, April 17th and Saturday, April 18th.

At the show, the HRD Team will be saying goodbye to one of its own. Katie Allen, WY7YL, will be leaving the HRD Sales and Support team after eight months working with Ham Radio Deluxe, in order to pursue a career opportunity closer to home.

Says managing partner Rick Ruhl, W4PC “Katie’s contribution to the team has been tremendous. Her hard work, product knowledge, and sales and marketing experience have been instrumental to keeping HRD’s day-to-day operations running smoothly. All of us will feel the impact of her departure. While we’re sad that she is leaving, we support her in pursuing this opportunity and wish all the best for her in future endeavors.” Katie’s last day with HRD will be April 18th.

As always, HRD is available to “try before you buy,” with a FREE 30-day trial that includes live technical support. Now is the time to try out HRD or renew your support package!

If you have been thinking about buying Ham Radio Deluxe or upgrading, now is the time to get in on a deal – type the coupon code idxc to receive 10% off your purchase of anything in the store.

Purchase and download Ham Radio Deluxe 6.2 at http://www.hamradiodeluxe.com.
    HRD Paid Support: http://tickets.hrdsoftwarellc.com
    HRD Peer Support Forum: http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com
    HRD YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/hrdsoftware

2. W2TMD

W2TMD Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the reasons I pay QRZ is for an ad free site. Why then Is HRD posting in the news section a Farewell followed by this which is clearly an ad not a farewell.

Ham Radio Deluxe Software, LLC, is proud to announce its attendance at the 2015 International DX Convention in Visalia, California, being held April 17-19th at the Visalia Convention Center. HRD’s sales team will be exhibiting in the vendor display area on Friday, April 17th and Saturday, April 18th.

As always, HRD is available to “try before you buy,” with a FREE 30-day trial that includes live technical support. Now is the time to try out HRD or renew your support package!

If you have been thinking about buying Ham Radio Deluxe or upgrading, now is the time to get in on a deal – type the coupon code idxc to receive 10% off your purchase of anything in the store.

Purchase and download Ham Radio Deluxe 6.2 at http://www.hamradiodeluxe.com.
    HRD Paid Support: http://tickets.hrdsoftwarellc.com
    HRD Peer Support Forum: http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com
    HRD YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/hrdsoftware

3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Thanks Jason, N6EY for sharing this.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Katie WY7YL in person a few times and wish her all the best with her next project.

What a pleasant person to talk to, I am sure she will do an Awesome job at the next step inn the journey of life. :)

73 K2HAT

4. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

W2TMD ... thank you for giving HRD free advertising in your post ;-)
    It is awesome software and deserves a free plug LOL

5. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

And then you repeat the add! I like and use the product, but their marketing scheme would make Bill Gates blush. Poor Simon Brown, he dedicated his life to this idea and now someone else is making the money. I hope Simon is getting a cut

6. W4PA

W4PA Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick paid a handsome price for HRD -

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anxious to visit the booth at VISALIA! I will be renewing my HRD membership

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Even so Simon should get a cut, maybe a lifetime membership at the least.

Is HRD still using the Simon Brown Directory ?

If I used it much I would buy it. I just tinker with it on my old radio.

HRD is cheap, a new radio to use all of the bells is a bit more.

Good Luck Katie.

9. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to be clear about this. Simon SOLD the program to the current owners because he no longer wanted to fix the bugs, provide support and develop it and that version, 5.x, had most of the bugs fixed by the current owners and some enhancements added and is still available FREE. Simon preferred to focus on something else with SDR radio by his own explanation. He stopped dedicating his life to this and that was his choice. He could have started charging and making it more of a business. Also he was faced with the complex and time consuming task of completely rewriting the program to work with the current version of the underlying Microsoft software that it is built with. (Or not be able to run it with Win 8 and beyond). Unless you have a lot of programming skill and have written or rewritten systems with more than a million lines of code, you can not begin to appreciate the difficulty of the task. (I have and it is exhausting and I am sure I got paid more than anyone at HRD is making and it was still just a hard job). There should have been about 3 million lines of comments in the code but it never seems to work out that way. (Just as a rule of thumb you should have about 3 lines of comments for each line of code or you will take forever to figure out what you were doing 800,000 lines ago). This was not and is not something the owners of HRD took on as a way to get rich off the backs of us poor Hams. It is something they believed could be a profitable business with a lot of hard work and dedication. It is not the only Ham Radio software that is not free. It is the most programmatically complicated product out there that serves a broad market. There are lots of things they can do to improve it, but by and large it works and does not crash and create problems. They maintain active development on fixing bugs as they come up and adding functionality. (And no offense to Simon who I have great respect for but he was years behind). I have no issues with their marketing methods, their licensing, or their support. I was one of the first people to sign up for Ver 6 and have happily renewed. I also happily renew my licensing for my Adobe Creative Suite products every month, my Microsoft developer tools every year, my Office 365 license every month, upgrade my Oracle Developer tools and reluctantly had to upgrade my Apple hardware (buy new products) every 2 years to use the new features in their desktop OS and the iOS versions. I also sadly recycled perfectly good and working HP printers because they would not work with new releases of Windows and Mac software (though they could work with Linux), and replace my WinTel systems about every 2 years to use the new features I really don't need but as one product gets upgraded it cascades through everything. Some of that marketing approach, especially to "the cloud", I have issues with, but that's life and how billion dollar companies run their businesses.

I have seen HRD at many hamfests and I have yet to see Rick sporting a diamond faced Rolex, driving in a new Mercedes or Tesla, or wearing Armani suits. HRD is a small business that puts most of the profits into improving the product and providing first rate support. It may put food on their table and a roof over their head but it is not buying beachfront estates in Palm Beach, private jets, etc. I think those who complain about how they do things should probably just use other software and complain about it.

As my dear old mother used to tell me, if you can't find something nice to say about someone you should just not say anything. (Or at least say it in private).

AJ4XM,
    Tom Loughney

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to demo HRD at OPERATING DAY and Demos I do for Ham Radio. It is just so neat to show folks the fabulous things U can do with HRD and a simple rig! I will be doing it again here on May 2nd at FRYS

11. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're ABSOLUTELY right Jason! Indeed another QRZ shenanigan typically brushed off as a norm by the masses.

I'm just glad someone else besides me said it this time. When THIS nonsense ceases, I'll subscribe.

12. NU4R

HRD is by far too often a topic of "discussion."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  13. NU4R

My "dear old mother" always said, be vigilant of the hidden agenda of others and never be afraid to point out what is THE TRUTH in any matter! (Something that the bleeding hearts so DESPERATELY despise)

My "dear old mother" also made a point of never trying to hypnotize the masses with a long-winded and bloated dissertation in an attempt to befuddle the facts so folks see it "your way!"

Mama also said, "Stupid is as stupid does." Well, that was Forest Gump's Mama but, good advice nevertheless! There's just so much one can proclaim and dump in the lap in a forum scenario's members before Mr's Gump's metaphor slaps the perpetrator of stupid, right up along side the head.

14. W8JAA

W8JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sale's must be stagnant , this crap has been spammed to all of the ham sites, just as it was 2 weeks ago with a different title.

Maybe a better head line would be

Ham Radio Community Bids Farewell to Ham radio Deluxe

15. W2TMD

W2TMD Ham Member QRZ Page

They added a few Raisins to Raisin Bran and said "Look we made it so much better".