ad: Alphaant-1

HamRadioNow: Grassroots on Antenna Parity (HR-1301)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Apr 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HR-1301, the Amateur Radio Parity Act, is a bill in the US House of Representatives that would extend the PRB-1 'reasonable accomodation' antenna rules to the private landowner contracts enforced by Homeowner's Associations. These rules are often called CC&R's – Codes, Conditions & Restrictions – though there are a host of other names for the rules.

In this episode, I talk with two hams who are part of the grassroots campaign organized by the ARRL to gather Congressional support – and Ham Radio support – for the bill. Bill Morine N2COP is the new Vice-Director of the ARRL Roanoke Division (the Virginias and the Carolinas). Karl Bowman W4CHX is the new North Carolina Section Manager. Karl and some of his team met with their Representative last year, and in the second half of the program he talks about the experience he had and preparation he did for the meeting.

This episode is a good 'audio experience,' since it's mostly just three hams talking. I added a bunch of web page images to reinforce the points Bill and Karl are making, but if you find it hard to make time to sit and watch the programs, this is a good one to listen to as as radio show. You probably have a 'smart phone' – Apple, Android or Windows – and they make good media players. There are a bunch of 'podcast apps' that let you subscribe to any of the literally millions of programs being produced in big studios and basement corners. To get HamRadioNow on yours, you'll need to add it manually (for now). Open the app, find the 'manual entry' option, and type in: http://HamRadioNow.tv/hrnrss.xml. Find the subscribe option, and you'll automatically get new HamRadioNow programs as they are produced.

[video=youtube;PgrtLk9Lz3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgrtLk9Lz3c[/video]​

Links:

• [*=left]ARRL's HR-1301 information page. Links to the bill, talking points, and much more/
      [*=left]Congress.gov web page on HR-1301. Text of the bill, action, sponsor list.
      [*=left]Find my Representative. Enter your Zip+4 to find your Congressional Rep. The Zip+4 will be specific. Entering just your 5-digit zip might show two or three possibilities, since Congressional district boundries don't follow zip-code lines.
      [*=left]HamRadioNow Episode 158: 'NO' on 4969. A ham takes a contrary view of the antenna bill (4969 was last year's bill - it died without action, and 1301 replaces it this year)
      [*=left]HamRadioNow Episode 8: The Impediments Inquiry. We recorded this episode with ARRL CEO Dave Sumner K1ZZ three years ago, in April 2012, shortly after Congress directed the FCC to conduct a study of the impact of antenna restrictions on Amateur Radio, and before the FCC issued that report (that said we don't have a problem). So... a history lesson.

Watch all our programs on our web page:
    HAMRADIONOW
    .tv

HamRadioNow is supported by viewer contributions
    If you enjoy the programs, visit www.HamRadioNow.tv and "click the pig"

[​IMG]

THANK YOU to all our contributors!

2. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

HR-1301

If you watch the entire interview, it is a little long, but brings the subject matter altogether for a better understanding. I understand the facts on both sides of the discussion and appreciate both. There are many facets of the discussion. The primary two things that affect my situation are this: although I am under CCRs that ban antennas,there is NO HOA to enforce had CCRs. They are registered with the city and if a neighbor objects to you breaking a CCR, they must take you to court. I wish I had an avenue to address a course of action to appeal my situation to. The second thing to remember is that even though reasonable accommodation is given, it does not relieve the ham of interference responsibility. Putting up the antenna may allow better ability to conduct favorable communications, but if it causes serious interference, you, the ham, must still be part of the solution. I hope it passes.

Peace,
    Randy, KA4AQM

3. K4AAQ

A Little Long...

Hey, Randy - first, thanks for watching it all and taking the time to comment here. You're awesome!

Second, I'll make a joke at your expense, because that's what I do. You say the discussion (it wasn't really an interview) was "a little long..." and so you added some more. Making the experience just a little longer.

Third, I'm fine with that! Lemme ramble on show length, and see if I can bait Bert K1OIK into a comment (Bert, have you noticed the view counts are all 1000+, and a lot of them are in the 2 and 3k zone? Bert will ask how many of those viewers stay to the end, and the answer is between 30 and 20%, rarely more. So ask something else, Bert).

These are not long shows! One to two hours is the typical length of either a deep-dive talk show or a decent documentary (HamRadioNow mixes both in our hodge-podge stew of content). A few of the other ham-oriented talk shows hit these marks. Lots of general-interest and other niche-audience programs do, too. Most shows on TWiT are an hour minimum, and some leave the two-hour mark in the mirror.

Sure, there are plenty of programs in and out of ham radio that are short, pithy, to-the-point, or are edited from longer conversations. I know how to to do that. Ask Phil Donohue (actually, ask his producer, because Phil didn't know me from a hole in the ground, but my name was on the Today Show credits as his editor in 1979. And don't ask his producer, because she passed away a few years ago from MS, which is why I've been dedicated to the MS events for the past 25 years. But I digress, which is sometimes why the shows are that long). I deliberately, consciously, specifically choose to have in depth conversations with my guests, because that's often what it takes to get to the meat of the matter. And sometimes, there's a lot of meat.

And I choose not to edit out the pithy comments and cut things down to 10 minutes because I'm lazy. Well, really, I don't want to take the time. I want to go out to dinner, or update the web site, Facebook, Twittter, G+ and email lists, and move on to the next program. And there's something in the back of my mind about wanting to let you have the full context, and that maybe something I'd take out is something you'd learn something important from.

Also, I think most of the programs are just plain interesting conversations. Some may be more interesting than others, and that's going to be in the ear of the beholder anyway. I try to steer guests away from going on with the boilerplate stuff about ham radio (how many times have you heard me say "The audience is all hams, so you don't have to explain..."?). I try to avoid the PR pitches, the puffery and poop-polishing that so many rah-rah ham talks trade for real substance. Sometimes a pat on the back or a WE DID THIS! shout-out is warranted.

All of that doesn't make a fig's worth of difference if you don't have time.
    I know that, too. I make choices about what I'll watch. Mostly, it's gotta be really good, though sometimes it's just gotta numb the pain.

Here's one trick (sound's like that ad on the last web site you visited... that one dumb trick for losing 50 lbs in a week....)

Listen. Don't watch. Just listen. I rarely watch a TWiT show. I listen to a half-dozen of them, mostly all the way through, mostly while driving or doing chores that occupy my eyes but not so much my brain. My phone and a pair of earbuds are my companions. I use an app called DoubleTwist, but there are lots of others. Now and then I'm able to listen to something live, and I use the Tune-In Radio app, but again, plenty of others.

Most of the other Ham Radio programs are audio only anyway. I usually hold out to watch Ham Nation on video, but if the week's slipping away, I'll listen.

You have to be a little dedicated to listen to HamRadioNow. If you have a podcast app, you won't find using the app's search box (you may find a trace leftover from when the Blip.tv service put us on iTunes, but there won't be any content). You have to add us manually. It's not hard. Find the "manual entry" option in your app (that'll be the hard part), and type in: http://HamRadioNow.tv/hrnrss.xml

If that works, you can "subscribe" to HamRadioNow, and the phone will let you know (or automatically download) each new show, in audio only. Video may be coming, but the audio works now. One of those things I do when I finish a show is upload the audio version to my web site, and update the 'dot xml' file that has the pointers your phone needs to know about the new show and download (or stream) the file. Yay, technology!

One last thing. You may not like the show. If you don't, it's probably me. I sound like I'm breaking up with a girlfriend: no, it's not you. it's me. But really, I'm very deliberately making HamRadioNow a personality-driven program. Content and personality are about equally important to me in the mix. Now and then I'll do a show that's just me, rambling to the mic and camera (I'd rather have a guest, but sometimes nobody's available). I've watch some of those that I did a year or two ago, and I cringed a lot less than I expected to. Some of you like me (I'll hear a lot of that at Dayton, and please, catch my attention and introduce yourself, or just holler "love the show!").

The risk is that if you don't like me, you won't like the show. Fair enough. Don't punish yourself, unless, sadly, I'm the only one who produced a program on a topic you're deeply interested in. Then lobby Bert to take the programs and edit them down (and edit me out) into the bite-size pieces he thinks you have the inclination to watch. They're licensed "creative commons," and anyone can pluck out what they want and use it.

OK, back to work. Over and out... 73, Gary KN4AQ
    HamRadioNow.tv

and sorry, Randy... I just made it longer....

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

lets see,............... EVERYONE KNEW about CC&R's/HOA's/ect when they signed the purchase contract.

now certain people want to whine & moan.....

if you move in next to an airport, then you shouldn't complain about the noise.

DEAL: WITH IT!

K5GMB/SK2023 likes this.
  5. K4AAQ

Like many analogies, this one falls apart with a closer look.

Everyone knows what an airport is. Not everyone knows they might want to erect an antenna when they buy a house. We talk about that, and many other reasons why we want a more level negotiating position, in the show. And this is one excellent way to DEAL WITH IT.

6. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

Agree..so much for a signed legal contract....Whine..whine...whine

K5GMB/SK2023 likes this.
  7. K4KPT

K4KPT Ham Member QRZ Page

What about if you are a non-ham and your children want to get into ham radio?
    Ham radio antenna restrictions are ruining the future of amateur radio.
    What would people like Hiram Maxim Percy think about this if he was alive?
    Even here in Texas it is getting hard to find a place to live near a metropolitan area without antenna restrictions.
    Case in point: there was a subdivision I was looking in out in the countryside, right next to twin 300 plus foot FM broadcast towers in Willis, TX. CCRs said "no masts or ham antennas" This is serious stuff folks. Don't be a jerk about it.

8. K4AAQ

Another really good point.

And don't worry about trying to persuade the negative commenters here on QRZ. They are rock-bound and can't QSY.

This is for those who are looking at all sides before making up their mind.

73, Gary KN4AQ

9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

This is like many other aspects of human life. It is all perception. If the people who live in HOA Subdivisions perceived Ham Radio (and its antennas) in a more positive way there would be less resistance. I believe its possible that Hams could even be welcomed as neighbors if we were believed to be a positive addition to the subdivision as opposed to a negative. Maybe a bit trivial but one positive I use when explaining to people about my antennas is that they actually protect us from lightning. The bolts are attracted to the towers and antennas and taken to ground instead of ruining all our appliances and electronics. Like a giant lightning rod. What other POSITIVES could we use to help change the perception of Hams and our antennas?

Another aspect that must be considered is moderation. As in all things Human moderation is key. Many people would not complain about a 30 ft. tower with a Hex Beam at the top but would squeal like pigs over a 70 footer with a 6 element Tribander at the top. A lot of those who live in HOA subdivisions don't have the room to put up a 70 foot tower. Will a 70 footer threaten the safety of those around you when 30 footer would do a good job for you and not be so threatening? Certainly something to consider when trying to get your HOA to be more friendly towards Hams and their antennas.

Just my $.02 (which isn't worth much these days).

Dan KI4AX

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

NO, it doesn't "fall apart".

just because you don't plan ahead (or don't know what you want) when you purchase a house does not mean you can change a signed contract after the fact.

people bought and PAID for homes with a LEGAL CONTRACT that excluded certain ugly items, antennas, junk cars, ect, .

now the WHINERS want to allow the legally excluded items to be allowed.

... and if your "children" suddenly just HAVE to have an antenna ,......... then you need to provide a place where it is legal.

I have 3 houses, two with no CC & R's, one has a tower that is about 182 feet tall.

the third house does have CC & R's,.... and if anyone tries to violate them, then they WILL hear about it.

a SIGNED contract is a LEGAL document.... enforceable by law.

DEAL WITH IT!

K5GMB/SK2023 and K2NCC like this.
  11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I DID "look at it from all sides",........... and you are incorrect,...........

it seems that YOU are the "rockbound" person here.

K5GMB/SK2023 likes this.
  12. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

lots of "CLASS" in that post:rolleyes:.

you come onto Freds site, and badmouth the regular QRZ members.

who really has the closed mind?

WA7PRC likes this.
  13. KF7CG

KF7CG Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the "whiners" signed under situational duress. Situation: You have been laid off from your good paying job for an extended period of time, the only suitable employment is in a different state, the community where the job is located has no affordable housing that doesn't prohibit anything that looks like an antenna, no properties built in the surrounding countryside will be free of restrictions since area zoning ordinance require that a licensed real estate developer handle all subdivision of properties, all the developers us the same basic restriction boilerplate on all lots they subdivide, and you are under time constraints to move your family cross country.

You have been out of work for 18 months, what do you do? What choices do you have. Refuse the job (starve). Work in the new location and commute once or twice a month to your old location 1000+ miles away. Buy one of the newer homes and be ruled out of Amateur Radio. No good solution.

Now add to this I live in a rural area where all the lots are one acre or larger. My lot has no antennas, it was split off from a family farm by a builder that was only doing a few homes. Across the street are a row of houses on the same size lots that were put there by a developer and all prohibit anything but satellite and otard type antennas. Further, when I put up my tower these people will have to live with it. How do the restrictions on the property across the street make sense? Remember these properties back directly on a farm field as does my lot.

KF7CG

14. AJ4TX

AJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Rock-bound...

Good one, Gary! Well, it has been about a dozen years since we were looking for a house - most of them were in CC&R "neighborhoods". The ones I liked that were not were either too high or not suitable for other reasons. You can make the point all day about whining, but it is discriminatory, and imho, goes against the fair housing act. We are in such a neighborhood, but they do not enforce much. Still, no tower and I try to hide in the trees. As I recall, I wrote "under duress" next to that clause when we were closing!

The example of the airport is not the same argument. Train tracks, too!

CC&R's are overly restrictive and have spread like cancer. A club member here had the clause forbidding anything that received or transmitted radio signals. You want to get literal? sorry, no cellphones, TV remotes, part 15 electronics, garage door clickers, the list goes on and on... And if the sun warms your home or grows the weeds, flowers and grass, it has to go too! My point there is that sometimes the developers word things in ignorance.

I did appreciate the comment about non-hams that want to become hams, or children thereof.

This show is going on the MP3 player...

Bill AJ4TX

KE4TSP likes this.
  15. N6CAZ

N6CAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The need FOR CC&Rs is certainly valid. With no rules, it's amazing what would happen to a neighborhood. In my case, the community (a San Diego suburb) essentially banned antennas very early on in the 1970s. I fully understand why: the neighborhood is mostly in a valley, and in the days of analog TV signals, the height required to get a suitable TV signal would have turned the place into a crop of masts, antennas and guy wires as far as the eye could see. Cable TV was in its infancy, but was considered a fair trade off.

In my situation, my Mother purchased a home in this community when I was just out of high school, and while I was into radio and electronics, I was not a ham, and anything I did was mobile anyway. Fast forward 25+ years, and I have inherited this home. I even became a member of the HOA board, and have heard arguments from residents wanting to put up satellite dishes. They accommodate - but require them to NOT be permanently attached to the structure. The board was able to ignore PRB-1 accommodations, so transmitting antennas were never even in the discussion.

I personally never signed any CC&R documents. For the same reason I despise "zero tolerance" rules (they remove LOGIC, COMMON SENSE and room for exceptions) I hate the trend of kitchen sink restrictions on new communities that seem to be everywhere. I welcome HR-1301 as it makes it possible for people in these restricted areas to at least negotiate a potential reasonable exception to outdated restrictions. I doubt there will ever be a wave of hams in my situation and in that limited area.

In my case I went "stealth" with a wire antenna and used my attic for a VHF/UHF antenna, but it would be nice to be allowed to legally come out of the shadows, and even have something a little less limited. I wouldn't be looking for (nor would I expect) permission for a tower or antenna farm.