ad: TinyPaddle-1

H.R.1301 Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2015

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SA1CKE, Apr 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.arrl.org/hr-1301
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c114:H.R.1301:

2. KF1P

KF1P Ham Member QRZ Page

Being that I am in one of the Restricted Neighborhoods (read:HOA) and a member of the ARRL I sent my letters to Congressman Trey Goudy (R-SC)
    I sent the letter through the ARRL. That way it will get to Representative Goudy in a timely manner.
    If you are not in a Restricted Sub-division please, for the sake of those of who are, send letters to your Congressional Representative.
    Better to do so through the ARRL. They have created a template style letter. Use that one....

While at this I also sent letters (through the ARRL) to Senators Tim Scott (R-SC) and Lindsay Graham (R-SC).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

are you saying that you were not aware of the HOA agreement before you moved in?

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio Party Act ? Yes. I'm all for it! It's about time we had some fun!

Oh ... it's not party ... it's parity.

Never mind.

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[h=2]Merriam Webster:
    Definition of PARITY[/h]1: the quality or state of being equal or equivalent

So what does this bill make ham radio equal or equivalent TO ?

6. NB8F

NB8F QRZ Lifetime Member #367 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is tough. I support it because I can feel for the CCR/HOA folks out there.

I think it might be too broad a bill. I was actually able to ask my HOA to put up a vertical and got approval. I think even as an operator, that i might not want some 200 foot tower next to me. It's hard to say, but reasonable accomodations *should* be made. I am very torn.

7. KB3PHL

KB3PHL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Weather he was aware of HOA's &/or CC&R's before moving in is irrelevant. The point IS, that something needs to be done to allow Amateur Radio operator's and future Ham's who are living in these communities a fair and equal chance for reasonable antenna accommodation's needed to use & enjoy their hobby. I've heard and read all of the arguments made about why Ham's shouldn't move into these communities in the 1st place if they want to enjoy their hobby. Ideally that would be great, but it's unrealistic in todays world because everyone is not always fortunate enough to be able live out in the country away from the inner city where they can have lots of acreage between them & their nearest neighbor.

8. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm for it.

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this one of these newfangled Level Playing Fields? You know, the kind where those of us who worked hard to avoid these sort of restrictions have to take on some of them to compromise so we're all equal?

10. NB8F

NB8F QRZ Lifetime Member #367 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, but I think because you were able to find a home not in an HOA you are quickly becoming the minority. More and more locations have HOA's than you think. Just because someone is in the city, should they be restricted? I think the thing to think about is "reasonable accommodations".

11. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is precedent. The OTARD rule applies to state and local governments AND HOAs. OTARD stating that rules or ordinances that prohibit the erection or use of SATELLITE or OVER THE AIR television reception antennae is preempted by federal regulation, and that reasonable accommodation for such antennae must be made. Not much of a stretch to include reasonable amateur antenna structures. What the bill does NOT do is grant carte blanche to an amateur to put up a monster tower and beam when a more modest set up would work. If that is what you think HR 1301 does, think again. It only requires that HOAs negotiate in good faith and that all parties attempt to make reasonable accommodations so that an amateur can operate where he or she is currently restricted or prohibited by HOA rules.

12. KB3PHL

HARDLY! Why would you come to the conclusion that you are going to have to take on some of their restrictions? That makes NO sense at all! The point is that Ham's living under these some would say(and I agree) Draconian HOA/CC&R rules, should have at least some reasonable rights on having antenna's PERIOD.

13. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

no,... it is quite relevant

DRACONIAN?????? ohhhhh the drama!:rolleyes:

... and what about the rights of the OTHER NON Amateur people that purchased property just because the HOA's forbid these actions?

BTW: I have a tower that is 182 feet to the top,.. seems pretty "reasonable" to me.

all this STUPID idea will do is to further alienate people against Amateur radio.

BTW#2: just exactly what does this have to do with " the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012,"?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  14. W4DAX

W4DAX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is it that some people do not realize that there are individuals who post on these threads just to get attention. To argue with an idiot only makes you look like them. We all realize that we need some accommodation to the restrictive rules of most HOA's. How many 200 ft towers have you seen even in the country. Most amateurs in my area just want to put up a two meter beam or a HF vertical. My HOA won't even let me put a basketball hoop next to my driveway or a flag pole up. I would love to put a two meter vertical on top of one of these type of poles. HOA's are out of control.

15. KB3PHL

Originally posted by ND6M " BTW: I have a tower that is 182 feet to the top,.. seems pretty "reasonable" to me."

Not if you lived in an HOA you'd be lucky if they let you have a 20 ft. flagpole, let alone being allowed to display the American flag on it!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015