ad: chuckmartin

The Passing Of Dr. George Fischbeck Yesterday...

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KB6OUM, Mar 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB6OUM

KB6OUM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if a thread about this has been started on any other forum here on QRZ, but if not, I'll post it here. For those of you who lived in Southern California during the 1970s, you might remember the illustrious KABC/Channel 7 Weather Reporter, Dr. George Fischbeck. (Otherwise known as "Dr. George") Well, Dr. George passed away, from what I heard on the news, just yesterday, March 25th. He was 92. And, he was KE6SBY.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. George, when he took the Gordon West weekend Technician Class Operator class, in Irvine, California, to get his license. That was back in 1995. The exact month, I don't remember. But, I had heard through the "grapevine" that he was going to be there at the Gordon West Radio School class, so I stopped in there, to meet him during one of the class breaks. I don't know if he even used his Amateur Radio privileges all that much throughout the years, after obtaining the KE6SBY call sign. But, I do remember him for being a very nice, cordial gentleman, when I met him that day. May he be remembered fondly by all of his family, friends and acquaintances. 73 to all.

James Fish, KB6OUM

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had no idea he was a ham! I always got a kick out of him when I lived down there. I think he had the world's first PhD in meteorology or sumpin like that

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

All of us good guys are going fast.

Soon only the bad guys will be left.

You know who you are--------

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. W6MPB

W6MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been thinking about 'Dr. George' this last few weeks - decided to do an on-line search to see what he has been up to. Now I know why he has been on my mind so much in recent days...

"A cut-off low is a weatherman's woe!" will forever ring in my head.

THX - R.I.P. dear Dr. George

W6MPB