ad: M2Ant-1

Hello from John in Massachusetts/ Just back from Philippines

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N1AE, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1AE

N1AE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to the Forum,
    I'm just back from 16 months living in the Philippines.
    I noticed there alot of enthusiasm for ham radio,
    but due to economic disadvantages, hams there
    are not able to contribute to the advancement of the art and science of the hobby
    as freely as those of us in developed nations.
    As an example, an armed security guard in the Philippines takes home
    on average only $7.00 US (seven dollars) for a twelve hour shift.
    I'm interested in talking with other hams who might be able to help
    by way of donation of surplus equipment on a case by case basis.
    I would be personally grateful to hear from any hams who are likeminded
    with me.
    I will be checking this thread regularly as well as any PM box available here.
    Thank you to QRZ.com and its moderators,
    and Best 73.
    John - N1AE - grid FN41 / Massachusetts

2. K4KFQ

K4KFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello John,
    I have alao lived in the PI, actually in Baguio City. Was looking to retire there in my newly built home, back in 1990s. My xyl is from there, and we do visit every couple of years. I never operated from there, as it was to complex to bring in my household goods, as well as Ham equipment. There are presently quite a few Hams there, along with Clubs. As it being still a third world country, along with the Political coruption on going, I think it would be a big gamble to attempt your proposal.One would also need a generator, with all the brownouts. Good Luck with your endeavers, Sincerely K4KFQ

3. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello guys, new ham from the Philippines. What you are trying to do is very admirable. Kudos!

4. DU1VHY

DU1VHY Ham Member QRZ Page

John, I am Jojo Vicencio, DU1VHY/KK6BQQ, a retired US Navy senior chief petty officer. I am also the Secretary General of the Philippine Amateur Radio Association Inc. Any questions pertaining to ham radio in the Philippines please to do not hesitate to ask. PARA can be contacted at para1932@gmail.com . PARA webpage is para.org.ph . I am also on FB . Can be located by search using my DU1VHY callsign. Thank you for your concern for the Philippine ham radio condition. 73

5. N1AE

N1AE Ham Member QRZ Page

Jojo hello, thank you for your reply. I wonder, if a transceiver is shipped to the Philippines, will the recipient need to produce anything other than a valid ham license in order to collect the transceiver by mail? At the moment I am thinking of a ham in Ipil City, Mindanao who could use a 2 meter transceiver in order to put up an APRS digipeater. Several hams in his area use APRS but they are unable to communicate together using APRS because they lack the transceiver for their digipeater. Any info appreciated at maraming salamat Po !

6. N1AE

N1AE Ham Member QRZ Page

K4KFQ thank you, I have visited Baguio, it was gorgeous! I understand your concerns, and a large scale response to needs of Filipino amateurs is beyond my abilities and ambitions. But on a case-by-case basis with coordination at both ends, it is possible to move some equipment their direction without too much difficulty. It only takes a few likeminded folks to get the ball rolling. Best 73! de John

7. N1AE

N1AE Ham Member QRZ Page

DW7DVE hello from the USA, salamat po'ng reply mo at best 73 !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.