ad: chuckmartin

Book helps Hams have fun with Morse Code

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Book helps Hams have fun with Morse Code

Passing a Morse Code test is no longer required to get an amateur radio license, but there's still a mystique about Morse Code, and many hams are interested in acquiring this skill and getting on the air. That being the case, Dan Romanchik, KB6NU is excited to announce the publication of The CW Geek's Guide to Having Fun with Morse Code.

The CW Geek's Guide to Having Fun with Morse Code is all about having fun with Morse Code.
    It
    * Helps hams learn Morse Code.
    * Choose the key that's right for them.
    * Shows hams how to get on the air and make contacts.
    * Teaches hams how to use abbreviations, Q-signals, and prosigns properly.

The CW Geek's Guide to Having Fun with Morse Code is available in several diferent formats. It's available as a PDF, Nook, or Kindle e-book directly from KB6NU.Com.
    It's also available as a paperback
    http://www.amazon.com/Geeks-Guide-Having-Morse- Code-ebook/dp/0692367241/
    or Kindle e-book
    http://www.amazon.com/Geeks- Guide-Having-Morse-Code-ebook/dp/B00S1HL52Q/ from Amazon.Com.
    The e-book versions costs $2.99, the paperback version costs $7.99.

About Dan, KB6NU

Dan Romanchik, KB6NU, is the author of the “No-Nonsense” license study guides and one of amateur radio's leading bloggers (KB6NU.Com). He has helped thousands of amateur radio operators get their license and have fun with ham radio. He is an avid CW operator and regularly teaches amateur radio classes in Ann Arbor, MI.

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

2. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Reading a book in order to learn CW? :confused:

There are a ton of free sites on the Internet for learning CW & they use SOUND versus using the printed word just like how learning Morse Code should be.

Tom KCØW

3. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Da Cow knows. Of what he speaks. Da Cow knows that (for most people), Morse code is best and easiest learned as sound patterns, not visual patterns. Da Cow also knows that many free learning sources are easily found on the WWW, as well as at the iOS and the Android app stores. Other Morse training apps at the app stores cost a few bucks. His point: in the face of all of the free learning resources, do we need Romanchik's book?

I scanned the Table of Contents of Romanchik's book. That quick review revealed that the book does much more than talk about learning Morse code. It goes on to cover many facets of how code is used on the ham bands; how to start a two-way communication with code, how to join one already in progress, what to say and how to say it, how to use abbreviations and Q-codes, and how to end a contact.

Romanchik also discusses various transmitting keys, keyers, and their manufacturers, as well as how to set-up a CW station. He goes on to list related books, websites, and clubs.

Available as paperback or Kindle. 55 pages.

4. N7RD/SK2023

N7RD/SK2023 Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Morse is only learned by those that want to learn it, and always by SOUND NOT BOOKS!!!

Morse 4-EVER!!!

Ron N7RD

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I got a different book on Morse Code Operating. It didn't really teach me anything I didn't already know but it did give me that nudge to finally get serious about learning the code. K7QO CD is what really got me going and it cost a lot less than the book.

6. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope the book points out that BT is proper for a break in the text and not a stinking period. I gag every time I hear some stooge send didahdidahdidah over and over during a QSO. It's a sure way of killing an otherwise great contact.

73 John K7FD

7. KC1ACL

KC1ACL Ham Member QRZ Page

arrl cd, learning the code.that works for me. im learning cw now and it helps.and you have to want to learn it,not struggle thru it.

8. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

John,

Actually, it's a sure way of finding out the other guy is sending keyboard CW. There is no keyboard entry for _..._

Bill

9. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually in program CWDecoder, the keystroke for BT is the equal sign (=).
    Other pro-signs are also covered. You do need to know what you're doing with a keyboard to fit in with others.
    Some folks have little to no choice but to use a KB for CW operations. Helps to know how to copy the code though.

Have fun

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the certificate, John?

11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

You want fun? Use this site to have your wife, GF, or both and/or your kids or friends write you messages and send the sound file to you. Right click on the "morsecode.wav" link when done and save to desktop. Then it can be used as an email attachment. Use 700Hz as the tone frequency and whatever speed you want.

12. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Been working to get my speed up using the fine AA9PW site, plus listening, listening, listening on the air. (I'm a 20 wpm extra, but was out of CW for decades and my rig can't handle a key.) It's fun to start copying in one's head, and while I've read several books on Morse I agree with the thread that there's no substitute for doing it by ear. And for those who care, the ARRL code proficiency certificate program has nice challenges to shoot for.

Incidentally, Verizon seems to agree on the value of Morse (chuckle) having released a sore loser memo in it: http://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-uses-morse-code-1934-date-to-mock-net-neutrality-ruling/

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  13. AD0DQ

AD0DQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got my General using Dan's fine book on the subject, and if anyone could teach it from a book, it would be him.

14. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

Way back when, the FCC issued nice-looking Extra Class certificates...

15. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

John, K7FD: It does indeed instruct folks to use BT instead of a period.

Learning the code is one thing. Learning how to operate is another. This book is aimed at helping people learn how to operate. That is to say it covers how to use abbreviations, Q-signals, and prosigns properly; how to call CQ and respond to a CQ; stuff like that.

Not only that, I give a little guidance on how to choose a key and how to set it up. I also give some advice on how to get faster. Indeed, as others have pointed out here, the key (no pun intended) is to get on the air and make contacts!

So, it's not about just learning the dots and dashes, but rather how to have more fun with the code.

73, Dan KB6NU

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.