ad: TinyPaddle-1

Ionospheric Sounding Using Real-Time Amateur Radio Reporting Networks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

As seen on the latest ARRL Contest Update bulletin,

"The Reverse Beacon Network's unending stream of radio observations from around the world has been noticed by the geophysics community as described in this story by the Earth & Space Science News. The detailed paper, "Ionospheric Sounding Using Real-Time Amateur Radio Reporting Networks" in the journal Space Weather is available online, as well. (Thanks, Dave KM3T and Pete N4ZR)"

QRZ.COM is even mentioned as playing an essential role!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2014SW001132/full

Although the mania of DX Cluster spots and the RBN is not without controversy, their use as a tool in such studies is intriguing. Which would be of no use at all if not for the data provided by the every day activity of amateur radio enthusiasts worldwide. It makes me proud to contribute however slightly as a "citizen scientist"!

73 de John - WØPV

2. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Officially Cool Stuff. :cool:

3. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting. Sure hope those conspiracy theorists who think HAARP is causing storms, earthquakes or who knows what don't find out about this. (I told one that the program had been terminated. Her reply was, "That's what they want you to believe.")

4. KH6CP

KH6CP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this! I'm waiting for someone to take those sorts of reports and construct potentially 3D maps of ionization including and below the F layer(s).

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's interesting. There is a lot of data out there that would be useful.

On my blog, I have an item about the discovery of meteor burst communications in 1944. This was from an FCC monitoring station that was continuously monitoring distant FM broadcast signals, and they noticed that the signals would come up out of the noise momentarily from great distances.

http://onetuberadio.com/2014/11/22/meteor-burst/

It took them a few years to figure it out, but it was almost certainly meteor burst. While ham signals are probably useful for HF, there are still probably a lot of interesting things that can be learned from carriers that are on all the time from a known location.

6. K5BIZ

K5BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. N4QA

N4QA Ham Member QRZ Page

All interesting stuff.
    I also want *much more* about why some folks see the dress in alternating blue & black stripes while others see gold & white !
    Bill, N4QA
    ps
    I see blue & black

8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We give some space to this in my new ARRL propagation book. Stay tuned!

10. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.