ad: Flexradio-1

Want to learn about Contest rules

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by VK2CRI, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK2CRI

VK2CRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years QRT , never participated in Contests .I want to improve my cw first by listening and working the CW Contests . What is the correct procedure for answering CQ Contest ,with out being in the contest.All help appreciated thanks:eek:

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever the correct exchange is for that contest. No one will know or care that you aren't going to submit a log.

This is actually quite a popular thing to do. I think it's called Casual Contesting, but I may be wrong.

You can usually figure out the exchange by listening to other responses. But, there is usually a website (or QST) where you can read what the exchange is.

If the exchange is a serial number, and you don't provide a unique serial number, usually no one will complain. You can even just give a random number.

3. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php

4. VK2CRI

VK2CRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks that sounds logical, just give a random No

5. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, be careful. If part of the exchange is a serial number and you send 34837, somebody may commit suicide. Stick to 100 or 37, or the price of a pint, etc.

6. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually casual contest on HF as well to make contacts, but I usually submit a check log.

Some contests will disqualify people if they go over 5% unconfirmed, so I figure that if I'm making the contact, I can at least do that. Only takes a few minutes and with N1MM having most contests in it...it doesn't take too long to make a log for that contest, then when its over make a quick cabrillo and then move the contents over to the main log.

I don't think it creates too much of a problem, but if you are making more than say....5 contacts casually, you might want to at least do that to prevent people from getting disqualified.

I've never had an issue with a check log being accepted. Then you're not a contest entrant, but at least you're verifying the Q's you did with the contest stations.

With N1MM I don't have to invent numbers either, it automatically counts. :)

7. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if the contest organizers actually disqualify someone for that. What typically happens is if you are not in at least 5 other submitted logs, you are classified as a "unique." If your callsign is a valid and verifiable callsign, the station you worked is still given credit for the contact.

Stations get disqualified when there are a number of "unverifiable contacts." That is, you claim you worked DL9XXX, and DL9XXX has not ever been issued by the German equivalent FCC. Do that too many times, and you will get DQ'd.

Years ago, before computer logging, it used to be that if you "excessive duplicate contacts," you would get DQ'd. The owner of the multi-op station that I used to operate at got DQ'd from an ARRL DX contest many years ago because the ARRL did not believe that they (multi-op) had worked a number of JAs and other Asians. He knew a DQ was a possibility because it was extremely rare to work that many JA's on 40 at the time (this was late 60's IIRC). He even sent out QSL cards DIRECT and got replies back and submitted them with the log - to no avail.

Now, with computer logging, your log is entered into a huge database and compared with every other log. In a typical 2-3 month timeframe, you receive a log report (a UBN report) that highlights Uniques, Bad calls, and Not in Log.

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every contest I know of has a website where you can download rules, forms, and other info. ARRL site is a big help too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.