ad: M2Ant-1

Stunning results from ISS SSTV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Stunning results from ISS SSTV

The ISS Slow Scan Television transmissions have already produced some great pictures, more will be sent Monday on 145.800 MHz FM until 2130 UT

On the AMSAT Bulletin Board (AMSAT-BB) Clint Bradford K6LCS posted:

Receiving SSTV from the ISS really CAN be simple: For my first time ever, I simply fired up a $3 iOS app, and held my iPod touch near my Yaesu FT-60R's speaker, and downloaded one of the images from the ISS.

I didn't think there was too much left in the hobby to excite me - but I was WRONG!!!

Greg KO6TH said “I’ve never received a clearer SSTV picture from anywhere, let alone outer space!”

Twelve different images depicting space pioneer Yuri Gagarin - the first human to orbit Earth - are being sent on 145.800 MHz using the SSTV mode PD180, with a 3-minute off time between transmissions.

The transmitter on the ISS uses 5 kHz deviation FM. If your rig has selectable FM filters (most mobiles do) make sure you choose the wider setting designed for 20 or 25 kHz channel spacing, usually marked FM or FMW.

Images received so far by radio amateurs world-wide are at
    http://www.spaceflightsoftware.com/ARISS_SSTV/

Find out more about receiving these transmissions and links to decoding software at
    http://amsat-uk.org/2015/02/11/more-iss-slow-scan-tv/

ISS SSTV image 2 - Andrew Garratt M0NRD 20150222-1731Z.jpg
    ISS SSTV received by Andrew Garratt M0NRD

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

2. NC8X

NC8X Ham Member QRZ Page

2-22-14
    unnamed.jpg

3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Stunning? Nice maybe,

4. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got these two yesterday. I think there's another good pass happening around 11:18 (CST) AM today

Hist2.jpg

Hist6.jpg

5. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

guess I am curious why the iss is sending images of stamps from space when it has
    so much more interesting live pictures from space that would be cool other than postal stamps from earth
    exo-planet-earth-from-space.jpg

:)

6. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup! Not enough time to send large pics on SSTV FM bandwidths. The ISS pass lasts only about 6 minutes but good signal time is less.

The ISS was loud and clear in FL during the relatively high pass this morning a short time before noon. I had set a squelched 2m FM receiver to 145.800 Mhz just to listen for it.

But beware! There is no announcement ID or anything before the SSTV xmsn starts! I couldn't get to the PC fast enough to start a recording!! I was just going to capture it through from speaker-to-mic. There is some software on the UK link that has a VOX function so it can be out into a "set-and-forget" mode.

I heard them again, much weaker, on the pass about 1:15pm too, but only for a short while. Will try again early tonight as there is another higher pass of the eastern USA.

8. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... But beware! There is no announcement ID or anything before the SSTV xmsn starts!

I know ... the little iOS app I am using is smarter than I am - IT senses the beginning of the pass before I can hit RECORD
    on a separate recorder ... (grin)

iOS SSTV App https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sstv/id387910013

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well by any standard, that qualifies as DX. I can't get those kind of SSTV pics from Anchorage. :)

10. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

iss_sstv.jpg iss_sstv2.jpg

Well at my location, the first one was already in progress when the ISS came into range and the second one was in progress as it left.
    Just wasn't quite timed right.

I agree. It wouldn't have to be high resolution. But it would be neat to see.

11. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had a very strong pass over CN76
    iss_sstv5.jpg

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be nice to see some near real time snapshots of the gals and guys of the current crew!

Nice copy on the pass over east coast (EL87) SSTV xmsn just ended 0034Z This was using MMSSTV. PC mic held next to speaker!

ISS SSTV 2 0034Z end 02242015.jpg

13. KD9CMS

KD9CMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

20150223_183533_1865832307.png

This was received this evening near St. Louis Mo.

Attached Files:

14. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They've been loud on each pass I wish I had a mic for my computer

15. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I grabbed three of the 12 images earlier this evening. Two on the first pass, #12 and #1, which was rather easy as the station reflected the sunlight so I could see the ISS overhead to aim the Elk antenna. I also use the SSTV app on my phone. It works well, but I also record the audio for this and other satellite work. The next pass #4 of 12, was over the Pacific between California and Hawaii.

I did hear the sync tone at the beginning of the transmissions. A directional antenna will help if you happen to catch the first of two transmissions right at the horizon as I did (Lucked out). Still, do not think that you need a directional antenna. If you hold your HT at an angle, you will pick up R0ISS if the path is reasonably overhead. I had another HT laying on the table with a Diamond RH77CA antenna and it picked up the signal right away during the overhead pass. Adjust the angle as needed during the pass. An omni on the roof should pick up something too.

- Remember, there is a three minute gap between images
    - SSTV mode PD180 for decoding
    - 145.800 MHz FM

RS0ISSCapture20150223a.jpg RS0ISSCapture20150223b.jpg RS0ISSCapture20150223c.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.