ad: wmr-1

Aussie pico balloon downed

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Aussie pico balloon downed

After a period of silence, it's believed the small solar-powered pico balloon from Australia went down north-east of New Zealand, probably due to rain and ice in the area.

Andy Nguyen VK3YT reports that PS-31 gave out its final JT9 packet message and was lost.

The balloon, launched from Melbourne Australia on Saturday January 24, manoeuvred forming an s-shape but was lost after as dark fell and it was across the International Dateline in the South Pacific.

balloonlocal28012015.jpg

Andy VK3YT who launched both the PS-31 and PS-32 balloons says "Thanks everyone for tracking, and hope PS-32 (the other balloon) will keep going for much longer."

PS-32 with the VK3ANH callsign continues to be tracked and is over the Southern Ocean. It was put up from Woori Yallock 56kms east of Melbourne on January 26, and is taking a solar route before hopefully travelling around Cape Horn in South America.

Like all recent balloons in the series launched by Andy VK3YT for the Southern Hemisphere, it is fitted with QRP transmission of both WSPR and JT9 giving trackers the location, speed and altitude along with other data.

Jim Linton VK3PC

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh so sorry to read of the demise of Ps-31 Andy,however PS-32 is still aloft es moving East.Don't become discouraged,she (PS-32) is still aloft!
    Perhaps in a day or she will be soaring over the Andes en route to Africa!!!!God Speed Andy,I'll stay posted thanks to the help of Southgate News es
    of course QRZ.COM--Thanks to you both for the great follow thru. Respectfully, Gregory L. Mitchell-W2MYA,West Caldwell,New Jersey USA

3. N1GKE

N1GKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Located in Rhode Island I have been following these balloons thanks to the posts from Southagate and QRZ web site. Pretty exciting stuff. I also follow the ARHAB program and often tell others who may be interested. Who knows, perhaps we can entice the group from Brown University in Providence to participate this year as well. All the best.
    de N1GKE from Hope, RI [FN41fr]
    "I use the original form of social networking, Amateur Radio."

4. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Uh, is it me? What frequency is the JT9 signal on? I don't see that mentioned.

I don't use Twitter nor am I on Facebook.

K2WH

5. N4QA

N4QA Ham Member QRZ Page

It would have survived, had it had CW capability onboard !

Bill, N4QA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.