ad: AbAuRe-1

Wide Woodpecker Noise on 15 Meters

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K6FEU, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6FEU

K6FEU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Heard a very wide strong woodpecker noise between 21.200-21.375 Mhz around 4:30 PM PST on Jan 23/15.
    Had a QSO with a Korean station just before the noise started and propagation was excellent . Suspect N Korea jamming.

K6FEU

2. N5MAV

N5MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Most likely the nations that use OTHR might be a bit paranoid about the possibility of birds flying in their direction, as in MIRVs and ICBMs or perhaps getting ready to send a few out if necessary(or not).
    I note YouTube is chock full of videos claiming we will have WW3 full blown shortly, just reporting what I saw on there when looking for other topic entirely.
    Hope like most things there is nothing to this but part of me says good possibility there is going to be some event that will suck us in like a vacuum whether or not we want to .
    JMHO, 73, Did not mean to sound dire just relaying what I viewed and read online.
    Sincerely,Michelle

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jamming? Why would NK jam amateur bands? Makes no sense.

There are a number of Over The Horizon Radars around the world, which often change frequencies and regularly end up on one ham band or another. These often have strong pulsing signals but are not the same as The Woodpecker from the 1970 and 80's.

If you are interested, search the posts here on the Zed, or google the many reports. IARU Region 1 has an excellent intruder report and analysis team.

5. KD8YQC

KD8YQC Ham Member QRZ Page

North Korea only allows radios that receive the government broadcast frequencies, and there are severe penalties for listening to "outside" broadcasts and possessing equipment that will receive it. They currently have a bounty on the person in South Korea who is floating homemade radios into North Korea with balloons. For more information, look up North Korea Free Radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.