ad: MLSons-1

Atlas 400X Reborn

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WA3VZK, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA3VZK

WA3VZK Ham Member QRZ Page

A small group of us are trying to get as many hams as we can , that own an Atlas 400x transceiver together to make the VERY FIRST qso contact together in history. These old girls are more than 20 years old and very few were made. Swan Company documents show that only 25 were produced and only one or two actually worked. I have one that does work. We are trying to find more in any condition and see if we can jointly make them work again. We are very close in getting three others working. As soon as we can, we want to set up a sked to work each other to make the first two way qso with as many 400X owners as possible. If you have one , working or not, please let us know. If it is in the junque box and you want to sell it let me know for we are buying. If you have one that works let us know and join us for this historical event. Contact me at jtelrbrewer@verizon.net Jack WA3VZK

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to see a picture of one of those. :)

4. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Sue,

I wondered the same thing so I went out on the internet find a photograph and here's what it looks like (they remind me of the 210X):

http://rigreference.com/img/rigs/5/2384/atlas-400x.jpg

Well the interesting thing is Atlas had a fore runner version that never made it to the street to sell and you'll see the comparison:

http://wireless.org.uk/atlas/310.jpg Looks like they were building one version for the U.S. and another for the U.K. Market.

Here's the electrical specifications on the Atlas 310:

http://wireless.org.uk/atlas/310.htm

Here's the electrical specifications on the Atlas 400X:

http://rigreference.com/en/rig/2384-Atlas_400_X There are a few Optional differences between the 310 and the 400X and I can bet the U.S. version hadn't the approval from the F.C.C. for the Digital modes.

Hello Jack,

I hope you are able to locate the other hams that own the Atlas 400X as it's an interesting HF transceiver.

Dan

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It sure does.

Thanks.

6. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Few years back I tried to find out if 310X was ever build and / or if any documents were available.
    All dead end. Not even a prototype. Apparently the design had some issues and no financial support.
    I would guess the DDS was not "cool" enough to gain support technically or financially.
    To my best knowledge 210 and variants were not easy to assemble , tune / align and that may have been the main issue even when thousands of these rigs were made.
    Little hard to compete with one or two circuit board designs.
    I personally believe that Atlas 210x with its fantastic RX front end and cheap(!) PA is perfect for external processor (Arduino) controlled DDS VFO. Got one ready to hook-up.
    And working on IF SDR audio. If only the IF was not so odd, it would be a snap to adapt to "off-the-shelf " design I got working with Yaesu.

Shirley

7. WA3VZK

WA3VZK Ham Member QRZ Page

We are still looking for any Atlas 400X's out there. Yes they made and shipped 25 of them and we only know of 5 . Yes they made the 310 also and there is one working that we know of. It is sitting in a glass cabinet in the lobby of an electronics firm on display. My working 400X is a great little radio with a super sensitive receiver. I might note that the console I have for it is a model 310. There is really no difference in the consoles except for the label on the front. Same color format in the paint scheme.
    Jack WA3VZK jtelrbrewer@verizon.net 410-378-4269

8. W6VHK

W6VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Jack,

I am wondering who told you that they made and shipped 25 of them, I was told ( on very good authority, Herb Johnson ) that only 6-7 at the most made it "out the door" and most came back as they did not work right. Several people walked off with some half finished carcasses that were on the assembly line ( like the two that sold on ebay a few months ago ) that had serial numbers of between 10 and 25 but they were never finished. I know of a few people that still have these 'carcasses' but there will never be enough boards to finish them. In regards to the 310, I saw one on ebay several years ago, obviously a prototype that was missing most everything on the inside, that was the only one I have ever seen. In the early 90's I was at the ARRL convention in Los Angeles and spoke with Herb Johnson for quite a while ( he was there with a non working 400X to display ) and that one had a LCD display instead of the LED display that yours has. I still have my 'carcass' that is missing it's top cover ( I wonder where that went ) and it is serial number 18.

Darrell / W6VHK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.