ad: M2Ant-1

FCC cracks down on Marriott International

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC cracks down on Marriott International

The BBC reports the hotel group Marriott International is to stop jamming WiFi units

The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) launched an investigation into the hotel's practices in March 2013 after being contacted by a hotel guest who said they had been unable to connect to the net via a mi-fi device at Marriott's Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center.

“Consumers who purchase cellular data plans should be able to use them without fear that their personal Internet connection will be blocked by their hotel or conference center,” said FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief Travis LeBlanc. “It is unacceptable for any hotel to intentionally disable personal hotspots while also charging consumers and small businesses high fees to use the hotel’s own Wi-Fi network.

Read the BBC story at
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30827706

Marriot pay $600,000 to resolve WiFi-blocking investigation
    http://www.fcc.gov/document/marriott-pay-600k-resolve-wifi-blocking-investigation

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Join us on Facebook

2. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh sure real crackdown? $600K They were hosting a large convention and charging guests a $1K to use the hotels WiFi? This fine is like a mosquito bite rather than a real fine. I say double the fine and then the managment will notice.

3. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

The way to punish these people is like in any other area-IN THERE POCKETBOOK !! Tnx fer the info.By this info alone,I would never ever book a room with this chain any more! Today this should be a given,any more than charging for bath soap or shampoo.This is an extreme example but only mentioned to make a point. Empty rooms make them sit up es take notice! Today within a few blocks,they're not the only game in town as a general rule. As of this point onward,they've just LOST ME!! Respectfully, Gregory L. Mitchell-W2MYA West Caldwell,N.J.

4. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

They should check out Disney also. I couldnt believe it was so dead there? I think they are jamming also ?
    Dave N8DC

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a big topic over on Flyertalk.com. The real crime on this is that the legal department of Marriott doubled-down on the nonsense and claimed that the wifi blocking was done to protect the computers of hotel and conventions guests.

LOL.

6. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't surprize me at all...
    The cyber wars continue....

7. AC9GK

AC9GK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay so Marriott is at fault how about a fine that they must provide free hotel rooms (within a 50 mile radius of Dayton) for the next 10 years to all attending Hamvention plus 10M dollar fine this will stop them and make other Hotels/Motels think twice.

8. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen to a HUGE fine and free rooms for all attending Dayton!! 600K is nothing; they're laughing at that one.
    Vy 73...Joe

9. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

600 million would be better. That would at least make a noticeable dent in their profits.

10. K7DB

K7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Although Marriott has lost the first round, the Hospitality and Lodging Association (and others) have filed a petition with the FCC basically asking for permission to jam Wi-Fi under certain circumstances. Read the PETITION FOR DECLARATORY RULING OR, IN THE ALTERNATIVE, FOR RULEMAKING.

I believe the formal period for filing comments with the FCC has already ended; I don't know whether the Reply Comments period has expired (where you file comments about earlier filed comments. However, FCC staff have previously told me that at their discretion they will consider late-filed comments.

You can view comments and file your own at the RM-11737 ECFS page. (Many hams have filed comments.)

11. N6QIH

N6QIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Put away the cell phones Ipads and enjoy the hotel.
    This is sort like texting and driving look out the window and enjoy the scenery.

12. KI4RBD

KI4RBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sit tight folks and let see if they cave to the $$$$$. I read that a Correctional Institute not to long ago asked if they could block cell phone signals around the facility and they came back and denied the request......we will see if the precedent was set with that or if they will cave!

13. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For a fact Dave, Walt Disney World is NOT jamming. I work there. Or, maybe WDW just blocks guests.

14. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

IF the hotel industy would hire IT code heads that knew what they were doing, there would be no need to think they needed jammers.

15. W7WQ

W7WQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? 1K tuse Wi Fi....I doubt it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.