ad: UR5CDX-1

Huntsville Hamfest

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by KA7RRA, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm planning on going to the Huntsville Alabama Hamfest,this year it well be my 1st time going How much time should I give myself in planning the trip I was thinking about a week What is there to see and do?
    Dave
    KA7RRA

2. N4BCD

N4BCD Ham Member QRZ Page

You could spend a full day touring the Huntsville Space & Rocket Center. From the SR-71 Blackbird parked out front with the full size mock-up of the Saturn V, to the back area full of early Redstones, ICBM's, et al, it's an informative place to take it all in. Inside one of the new buildings is a real Saturn V suspended horizontally from the ceiling. Awesome.

There's Monte Sano State park about a mile our of downtown. High elevation for great views and QRP ARCI meets up there during Hamfest.

For a Kodak moment on your way into town, you might want to check out the National Coon Dog Cemetery in Tuscumbia, AL

Lots of great restaurants.

All the places listed here are easy to get to:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g30620-Activities-Huntsville_Alabama.html

73 & safe travels,
    Mark N4BCD
    North Alabama DX Club - President www.nadxc.org
    Huntsville Amateur Radio Club - newsletter publisher & past president www.harc.net

3. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year they had that Stupid beerfest right at Von Braun Civic center lost a lot of parking. Had to navigate around the drunks.

4. N4BCD

N4BCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, almost forgot about "that Stupid beerfest". It was actually called "Taste of Huntsville" or something to that effect - a showcase of portable food vendors. Think taco busses. It was responsible for lost parking spots around our W100AW/4 trailer in a parking lot that the city assured us was ours for the weekend. As Station Manager I spent the night in that trailer experiencing engines & headlights all night long. Most memorable - heading to the porta John and interrupting an amorous couple in an open top Jeep at 3 AM who thought they had the area to themselves.

5. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

It was terrible to have to resort to $15 dollar parking at Huntsville.

6. KG4JYD

KG4JYD Ham Member QRZ Page

How many people attend Huntsville Hamfest?

7. KK4BBG

KK4BBG Ham Member QRZ Page

My GF and i have vacationed there past few years.

shes a shopper so the 3 malls keep her entertained. there is a surplus store near the mall.

there is a small "theme park" near the mall southern adventures or something. didnt seem that interesting.

We drove 30 miles away to go to point mallard only to find out it closes except on weekends after labor day (website didnt state that) and i wasnt going to miss the Hamfest for that on a staurday.

Last year we toured the rail museum there. that was nice but pricey.

Dont stay at the "big 3" hotels. we found a motel on university that offered military discounts that cost us the same price for 3 nights as night in the bigger ones.

theres a Gander Mountain there, harbor freight, and i think 4 walmarts now? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.