ad: Schulman-1

Five Year Old Passes Technician Examination

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0XK, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0XK

K0XK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Centennial, Colorado, USA resident Colton Ragsdale has passed his Amateur Radio Technician examination at just 5 years of age and was issued his license today, Monday, January 5. For those of you outside of the US, the license grants full operating privileges on all amateur bands above 30 MHz as well as some privileges in portions of the high frequency (HF) bands.

Colton, who is 5 years and 9 months old, took an interest in radio at a young age. There is no age limit to taking the test. Applicants must demonstrate an understanding of FCC regulations, radio station operation, electrical principles, and safety considerations by passing a 35 question, multiple choice, written examination.

Colton passed the exam with a 91%, only missing 3 of 35 questions on January 3 in Centennial, CO, surpassing the 74% requirement to pass the test. Colton comes from a ham pedigree, with father Zeke K0XK, mother Debra K0KAI, uncle K5BBW, great uncle Bill K6KN and second cousin once removed Michael KI6FMN. He plans to use his license for community service as a voluntary, noncommercial communication service, particularly by providing communications to assist in an emergency.

Colton’s new call sign is KE0CRD and he accepts NTS messages.

colton_ke0crd.jpg

2. VE3GSO

VE3GSO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! Good on Ya! May it be a lifetime enjoyment.

Dave
    VE3GSO

3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow Good job can't wait until you become a general.:)

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots to do as a Technician in that part of Colorado - tons of linked repeaters, and mountains for 'hilltopping'.

5. KC2QNK

KC2QNK Ham Member QRZ Page

We need more young minds to get in ham radio great job.

6. AE7XG

AE7XG Guest

Cudo's kido.

7. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, hes gonna get all the chicks!

All I was doing at that age was wiring my own model railroad set. :)

8. WA2WAP

WA2WAP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job hope to work u on 10m .
    OLD TIMER HAM
    Dave
    WA2WAP

9. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent!!!
    Good LUCK and 73 to Colton!

John WB4YAL

10. AI4IE

AI4IE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Colton. Great job. Come on up to Thornton and teach my daughter, Laureline, how to pass the exam. Great to see kids getting into the hobby. Hope to hear you on the air soon.

Jerry KR0MED

11. KD2FIP

KD2FIP Ham Member QRZ Page

Well he'll probably be far more mature than some of the operators 10x his age! Well done son!

12. WG3W

WG3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Way to go, Colton...hope to meet up with you on the air in the near future! Good job, young man!

13. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. :)

14. KC6IIH

KC6IIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations
    Now get that rig and antenna warmed up.

15. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats!

At five I don't even know if I was lining up my alphabet blocks into words. I doubt that I was as reading didn't come until first grade even though I knew my ABCs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.