ad: chuckmartin

W5AB John Mallery Sharpe Silent Key

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N1EA, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N1EA

N1EA Ham Member QRZ Page

John Mallery Sharpe, W5AB, ex-YB5ASO, (I believe he also had 9V call sign and others)
    October 15, 1916 - October 9, 2014

From Missouri City, Texas

John Mallery Sharpe passed away October 9, 2014 at the age of 97. He was born October 15, 1916 in Buffalo, New York to Joseph Frank Sharpe and Lucille Scott-Dabo. In addition to his parents, John is preceded in death by his son, Daniel John Sharpe. John is survived by his loving wife, Audrey Lu Sharpe; daughter, Melanie Lu Sharpe and fiancé, Samer Nseir; along with other family and friends. The family thanks the staff at Optimum Personal Care who cared for John. John was an active world HAM radio operator (W5AB); Oil exploration electrical engineer for Texaco and CalTex traveling and living around the world before he retired in 1985; Prior, he worked for the FCC and served in the Army Signal Corp stationed in Panama City during WWII. A service celebrating John's life will be held at 11:00 a.m., Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at New Hope Lutheran Church in Missouri City. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed to New Hope Lutheran Church, 1424 FM 1092, Missouri City, Texas 77459.

de N1EA =

Some fifteen years ago, I used to chat with John on the 21 MHz amateur radio band with John. I used a Vibroplex semi-automatic key (bug) like he did, and he was one of the finest bug operators that ever lived. His sending to someone who knew Morse code was like a Stradivarius violin playing in the hands of a master. I had been a radio officer at sea and I had gotten good at the bug, I could send and receive at the experts speed easily maintained by John. He enjoyed our conversations very much because bug operators who send commercial quality Morse are getting scarce. I mentioned that I had recently learned how to send on a Sideswiper - a unique and difficult to master Morse key which was based on the famous Bunnell Double Speed Key (DSK) which was made in New York, but my key was just a hacksaw blade and a couple of nails and wire - but I could get it to sing! To my surprise, John offered me a Bunnell DSK at a very modest price. I know that sometimes older people forget about how things that were worth $5.00 then are costing four or five times as much now. I told him the key is very rare and would sell for $500 to $600 and I told him that I could not possibly afford that, but he asked me if I could afford the price he had offered to sell it to me. I could, and he mailed me the key! He said he wanted to sell the key to someone who could make it sing. On many Sundays I use the key on the Sideswiper Net, you can see a picture of the key here: http://www.sideswipernet.org/keys/n1ea-keys.php Another friend made me a base that is heavy so the key doesn't slip when being used. I think of John each time I use the key and when I hear a beautiful bug fist. Rest in peace my dear friend, we last spoke about two years ago, I thought you were gone then, but to my delight you were sill alive and still sent Morse like a real master. What a thrill to have known you. 73 de N1EA David

2. N1EA

N1EA Ham Member QRZ Page

I found John's QSL card today and a note he wrote on the reverse. RIP my friend, you had one beautiful bug fist.

David N1EA

w5ab_qsl1.jpg w5ab_qsl2.jpg

3. N1EA

N1EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, here's the Bunnell Double Speed Key John sold me.
    n1ea_bunnell_dsk_ssk_top.jpg

73 de David N1EA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.