ad: elecraft

HamRadioNow: World's Best Hobby - Dave Bell W6AQ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    HAMRADIONOW.tv

Episode 182: World's Best Hobby – Dave Bell W6AQ

Until the Internet age, Dave Bell W6AQ was the most prolific producer of television programs about Amateur Radio, most of them aimed at a general audience on real, broadcast TV stations and networks. "World's Best Hobby" is Dave's memoir. The book begins with his introduction to Ham Radio as a teenager, and follows his life into family and a career as a television producer (a 'real' television producer), with his radio hobby always by his side.

In this episode, Dave talks to me about the book, and how he was able to produce a series of Ham Radio oriented programs with major TV stars and personalities in an era when television production was expensive, complicated and rare.

A DVD collection of Dave's programs is available from the ARRL (which funded most of the production, though Dave provided it at well below 'market rates'), and most are also posted to YouTube (with varying quality).

[video=youtube;s7aXolcJZoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7aXolcJZoY[/video]​

Watch all our programs on our web page:
    HAMRADIONOW
    .tv

HamRadioNow is supported by viewer contributions
    If you enjoy the programs, visit www.HamRadioNow.tv and "click the pig"

[​IMG]

THANK YOU to all our contributors!

2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good episode sir!!!

Merry Christmas and 73!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  3. WN2A

WN2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonderful episode....its great when one can learn so much from the pair of AQ's , and it didn't require any effort on my part.
    Ham Radio Now makes for great viewing.

Question for KN4AQ: what ever happened to that FCC requirement for educational content being aired on TV?
    Mike--WN2A

4. K4AAQ

Educational? (eat your spinach while you're at it)

Thanks, Mike!

I can't answer the question. A quick look at the results of a Google search gave me enough of a headache that I didn't want to pursue it further. It appears that there is some requirement for children's programming (maybe 3 hours a week... whoa!), and everything else is very ambiguous.

Fortunately, hams can rely on HamRadioNow to be entertaining and occasionally "educational," although we probably subtract as much from your knowledge as we add.

5. WN2A

WN2A Ham Member QRZ Page

No, no, I definitely could feel my IQ (albeit slowly) rising during the show !
    And I will go for the book. I think Dave's low-key mid-Western humor is what could make it a success.

Gary-- you should pinch-hit for Bill- if needed.
    WN2A

6. AG5QQ

AG5QQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You might be thinking of Guam, because Okinawa is definitely not a U.S. territory.

7. K4AAQ

Most likely I wasn't thinking at all. I'll leave it to Dave to raise the IQ of the audience.

8. KV4PC

KV4PC Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary:

Here is Dave's "This Is Ham Radio" clip on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0igVLrt3uY

You didnt find it in the Dave Bell interview. But it comes to the top if you quote the title.

I really enjoyed the show!

73;
    Bob KV4PC

9. K4AAQ

That's the 2nd version, not the original File 7 version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.