ad: Alphaant-1

HamRadioNow: Bell 202 Modem; SDR via GNU. Two more from the DCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    HAMRADIONOW.tv

from the ARRL/TAPR Digital Communications Conference
    [TABLE="width: 900, align: center"]
    <tbody>[TR]
    [TD]Episode 180:[/TD]
    [TD]Clarifying the Amateur Bell 202 Modem[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Episode 181:[/TD]
    [TD]Ham Friendly DSP Using GNU Radio Companion[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

Episode 180: Kenneth Finnegan W6KWF is earning a Masters Degree by studying APRS and Packet Radio. What a deal! He's sharing his education by presenting a piece of his thesis, digging into the software embedded in the Bell 202 Modem, an ancient piece of technology that's still in use, especially in packet radio.

Episode 181: John Petrich W7FU and Tom McDermott N5EG team up to show you how to use GNU Radio Companion to build software that will do Digital Signal Processing, a basic element in SDR. This is a good "getting started in GNU" talk, even though I make a snarky comment about Tom's math in the introduction.

I can only put one video here on the page, so I'll bow to youth and stick Kenneth's talk here. GNU fans, just CLICK HERE and see Episode 181 on HamRadioNow.tv. And by special request, here's a link to the actual video on YouTube.

[video=youtube;opmYMAgpKeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opmYMAgpKeA&list=UUxqXFK9ETC5CWEdDD-_HpqA[/video]​

Watch all our programs on our web page:
    HAMRADIONOW
    .tv

HamRadioNow is supported by viewer contributions
    If you enjoy the programs, visit www.HamRadioNow.tv and "click the pig"

[​IMG]

THANK YOU to all our contributors!

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow episode 180 was excellent. he really nailed it, Bell 202 is a terrible scheme for RF links, AX25 sucks, and it gets worse from there.

his talk on VoIP meshing was great. Maybe we could build something that integrates the phone, VoIP, routing, and wifi, in to an HT format. We'd all go qrv on 13cm and 6cm bands.

3. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, the Bell 202! You just time-warped me back into the 70's and my memories of 11-inch floppy disc's!

4. NQ6U

NQ6U Ham Member QRZ Page

And 1MB hard disk drives the size of a filing cabinet.

5. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

11 inch floppies ? my altair 8080 only had 8 inch floppies

6. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep! 11 inch floppies. If you can only remember 8 and 5 1/2" floppies, you must be a young'n. ;)

It was the 11-inch floppy that actually gave the disc type its name. If you picked one up it would flop all over the place in your hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.