ad: QSLWorks-1

Ham Radio Deluxe News: Santa’s Gift for You!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WY7YL, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WY7YL

WY7YL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio Deluxe News: Santa’s Gift for You!
    HRD Software, LLC
    Tampa, FL; Dallas, TX; St. Paul, MN — December 12, 2014

If you need to drop a hint about a stocking stuffer – look no further than HRD! Tell your family and friends that with the coupon code “holidays” they can get you the top of the line Amateur Radio software – Ham Radio Deluxe – for 10% off! Or, why not spoil a friend from your ham club, or even purchase a copy for your ham club holiday gathering? Give our sales office a call and we’ll help you organize your purchase.

Many of our customers noticed an issue pop up this week when logging in to their HRD Logbook. After a great deal of investigation, we discovered the issue was related to NOAA moving the location of their Solar Indexing Files, which in turn caused an error message to welcome our customers upon opening their logbook. After a great deal of research, the problem was located and solved. Customers can download the newest release, 6.2.7.315.

The new release also addresses the memory leaks with DM-780 which the development team worked with Microsoft on. The memory leaks have been dramatically reduced due to a Windows Update for Windows from Microsoft as well as some good debugging of the leak and redesign of the DM-780 with the development team.

As always, HRD is available to “try before you buy” with a FREE 30-day trial that includes support. Now is the time to try out HRD or renew your support package.

From our family to yours, we wish you happiness and peace this holiday season.

Purchase and download Ham Radio Deluxe 6.2 at http://www.hamradiodeluxe.com.
    HRD Forum: http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com
    HRD YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/hrdsoftware
    Social Media: http://www.facebook.com/HamRadioDeluxe
    http://www.twitter.com/HamRadioDeluxe

2. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this the new direction of QRZ.... to post free ads for selected products....
    This isn't the first HRD free-bee ad here since HRD began charging for what had been for years a free program.

3. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

It is still twice the $$$ that it should be.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is worth the money if it works.

If it works with Windows 10, it will be more better. Then I will buy it, just to play with.

Have Fun. You should not complain about the price.

5. KF7PCL

Considering that it is 1/2 the price of a used HF radio, it is worth complaining about.

6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Don, it does work under the Windows 10 tech preview...

7. WA9PIE

WA9PIE QRZ Lifetime Member #305 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

HRD Software is certainly NOT "charging for what had been for years a free program". That's crazy-talk. Who would pay for software that was once FREE? I sure wouldn't!

But what HRD Software IS selling is "what the software has BECOME"... with significant new features and fixes since the free versions were available. It's not the same product it was when it was free.

8. WW7F

WW7F Guest

http://www.dxzone.com/dx28789/ham-radio-deluxe-5-24-38-download.html
    Did someone say it was NEVER free?:) Hmmm, older version but still works just fine for most folks it seems by the comments there:)

Not arguing with anyone over it, criticizing it, nor do I expect to be hassled or booted off of here for posting it,just doing my bit as a helpful ham and posting where older and still functional versions are located.

I think maybe if your rig is still supported on that free version and you have not rushed out to spend multi kilobucks on a new rig then it should work FB for those folks in most cases.

Like I said, just one site with it archived on it, I picked The DX Zone, in part so I did not get lambasted for the link and because it is a major ham resource with credibility like others that have been around a long time do IMHO:)
    Maybe this will also help those who want it to decide whether or not they want to buy the latest version of HRD or need it.
    I guess some big time DXers might though,LOL:p
    73 to everyone,Michelle:)

9. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

HRD was dontationware, not freeware. Big difference. But so few hams donated (Less than 2000 of the 100,000), Simon decided to sell it to HRD Software.

Comparing HRD to a used rig is apples and oranges. HRD is being updated all the time, and the old rig will never be updated or supported by the manufacture. I would think a $200 used rig would be something like an HW-101 or something else from the 70's.

A good comparison is as follows

HRD 6.x $99.95
    DX4Win $89.95
    Logic 9 $129.00
    MixW 3 $70.00
    ROC $119.95
    Nova $59.95

MixW+Dx4Win+Nova = $219.90
    Digital, Logging, Satellite

HRD = $99.95
    Rig Control, Digital modes, Logging, Satellite, Rotor control, Mapper, remote access, etc

Lifetime licence, 1 year of support and upgrades, lifetime bugfixes for the life of the product.

10% off until the new year too.

10. KB1GKN

KB1GKN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So I went to www.hrdsoftware and clicked the link for downloads and clicked from there to download the latest open beta:
    http://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com/setuphrd627-316.exe
    and got the message : "NOT FOUND" "The requested URL /setuphrd627-316.exe was not found on this server."

I don't remember having any memory leaks in DM780 back when Simon was maintaining the code. And downloads were always easily available back then.

Now that I pay money for HRD and QRZ it seems that things are more unstable than they were back when all this was available for free.

11. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Human's make mistakes on the website... the code is not unstable... at all.

The setup is there, click on it again, there was a capital S in the setup instead of a lower case s.. linux is case sensitive

The memory leaks happen in Windows 8.x to 10. And yes, in 5, there were leaks under xp, vista and 7, but they went unnoticed.

All the leaks are fixed up to Windows 7, Windows 8.x and 10, we are still working with Microsoft on, as it looks like a kernel leak. The leak is now minimized for 8 and 10, but Microsoft will be doing Windows updates when we nail this down.

Fortunatly, my 5 years at Microsoft allowed us to talk direct to the O/S developers and that's how we found this kernel issues.

12. N0RSN

N0RSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IJS 5.24 with an ic 746 making the same contacts and starting to get a very nice log. I am a new ham but very comfortable with software. $100 software is not unreasonable. The updates are outrageous and support? for real 1 year unless paid for your programming errors? Ha. I guess i will just stay outdated and make the same contacts and log. With my outdated 2nd hand rig hehe. ^^ love the excuse we will fix after windows updates. If it is paid software and support you should fix immediately then re-update after windows lol. The point of the fees is for the fixes and support to be rapid not line someones pocket. Of course i could be wrong in that case it would just be my opinion.

13. WA0TDA

WA0TDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try the link again. It works for me this morning.

73 - Pat
    wa0tda@arrl.net

14. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL What a bunch of old ladies! Bellyaching and what not.. I've been using HRD for years, and it's never been better! Well worth the price if you use it, and they are always listening and improving the software every time.

Geez!

15. KF7PCL

It is our right to express an opinion. I just cannot justify the functionality that it provides for $100
    There are better loggers for free. Also there is better digital software for free.

Now I am not saying that HRD has to be free since the developers deserve payment for their time. but I don't feel it is worth $100
    And only taking off $10 for the incentive feels cheap. I mean if somebody could afford $90 they could just buy it for the normal price.
    I know it is a bit of a slippery slope but taking 20% off would -IMO- sweeten the pot better.

Not true. Decent 80s digital rigs can be bought for $200-220. HW-101s don't usually go more than $100-120

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.