ad: MLSons-1

New Yaesu FT2DR HT with large LCD screen introduced.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WS4E, Dec 10, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu continues their track record of making new products no one in the ham community wants.

Seriously, has anyone as Yaesu EVER actually asked a single ham what they want in a new product? Still no word on a modern replacement for the FT-817/FT-857 series.

Enjoy this his product that will be expensive, impractical. and no one will buy, instead.

etmcTsk.jpg

2. W7PGV

W7PGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Rats! I just bought an FT1DR. Between upgrading ham radios and smartphones and tablets, I'm bound to go broke. :)

Regarding the OP's question, I suspect they did do extensive market research, but they concentrated on the Japanese ham radio market, which is both larger and within easy reach.

• Large white and (apparently) higher-resolution screen
    • Touchscreen (although it remains to be seen how easy it is to use and how durable it will be)
    • Dual dials which look easier to use than the single dial on the FT1DR

Dislikes:
    • Looks every bit as chunky as the FT1DR
    • So far at least, no mention of waterproofing or APRS

Overall, it looks like they're trying to compete directly against Icom's ID-51. Other than the bigger screen, it's not immediately apparent how this unit is better than the old one, especially in North America where there are (so far, at least) only a handful of compatible digital repeaters. Hopefully this unit will share batteries, chargers, and microphone with the FT1DR. That would take a little bit of the sting out of an upgrade.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  3. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm kind of disappointed it doesn't have a color screen. They sell the camera mic for the FT1DR (probably compatible with this radio, too) but why bother when you can't even look at the photos?

I do like how the display is laid out and looks similar to that of the FTM-400.

4. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

YES!

I can tell you this, many users of the FT1DR,as well as the FTM400DR, gave Yaesu a lot of feedback on those rigs as a part of their Fusion Repeater Beta Program.

What could be remedied with Firmware Updates, Yaesu updated in relatively short order.

Many who bought the FT1DR complained about some hardware limitations.

You know what???????

Yeasu addressed those issues in the FT2DR.

5. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

Display issue with the FT1DR were submitted to Yaesu - visually impaired users found the FT1DR to be unacceptable.

6. K4YZ

K4YZ Guest

Personally, I'd like to know who WS4E is, and by what act of Endowment of Grace was he granted Infinite Wisdom to know exactly what it is that the Amateur community, as a whole, wants, needs, or can afford.

BY ALL MEANS, express your Constitutionally protected opinions on the device itself, your particular brand name preference, or (God forbid) a first hand INFORMED opinion based upon actually having had the device in your hands and employed for some period of assessment. BUT PLEASE, DO NOT PRESUME TO SPEAK FOR THE REST OF US!

I have no doubt that there will be people that do share your opinion about the ergonomics or functionality of the radio, but I also know that there will be people who DON'T share your opinion, myself included. To make such an all-inclusive assertion such as the one above is grossly misleading and borderline arrogant.

As for Yaesu's "track record", they remain at the top of DXpeditioners choices for gear along with Icom and Elecraft, and their V/UHF mobiles and HTs remain at the top of the popular choices list for V/UHF equipment, both mobile and portable in the Amateur community. THOSE are FACTS substantiated by market studies.

When WS4E's call becomes as universally recognizable as "K1ZZ", "WB6NOA", W2VU", etc, then he'll STILL only be ONE person with ONE vote, and ill-advised to make such far-fetched assertions as the one that precipitated this response.

Respectfully submitted,

Steven J (Just One Guy With One Vote, Too) Robeson, K4YZ
    Winchester, TN

7. AE7XG

AE7XG Guest

Atta boy K4YZ. I like your one vote. I to am A yeasu fan.

8. KC2ULW

KC2ULW Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 for Yaesu, the FT2DR and K4YZ

9. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's REALLY EASY how it works:
    If it sells like hotcakes, they continue marketing and improving it.
    If there's little to no interest, it just fades away.

Don't get yourself all worked up.
    Remain calm and simply don't buy it.

10. WX4LTG

WX4LTG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I had a nickel for every time I'd heard someone say they hated the display on $RADIO_BRAND because it was too small to read.

I'd buy a new radio with the nickels.

11. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the future is bright for Fusion. There could be a whole basket of tricks in store with future radios and firmware revisions.

12. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a pretty big Yaesu person, but I'm not really into all the digital stuff.

As long as they keep making radios like the FT-60 and the 8800, I won't mind though. I don't need all that snazzy stuff.

I can see where others would want it though, and thats perfectly fine.

13. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to replace the FT-817 with a "Modern" replacement. It works just fine as is for those who know how to use it :)

14. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like K4YZ's response. Well put. If you don't like a radio - fine. But don't presume to think that everyone else hates it too. I actually like the look of the radio myself. I won't be buying one but it isn't because I don't like. There simply aren't any System Fusion repeaters in my area.

15. K8CBC

K8CBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ill stick with my 1DR. I dont like my screen with fingerprints anyways. No problems with the FT1DR here.