ad: elecraft

Straight Key Night

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KB4K, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB4K

KB4K Ham Member QRZ Page

KB4K will be operating Straight Key Night from South Florida with period equipment, to include the classic 1955 Collins Gold Dust Twins. Snail mail QSL cards for every logbook entry. Look for KB4K on the low end of the 20 meter CW band. Equipment photos on the KB4K page. Looking forward to hearing from you! Prize for the most enjoyable QSO.

2. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The HW-16 is not on 20 yet. Maybe next year.

This year, from Atlanta GA.
    Heath HW-16 and rocks for 7030 and 7060.

Bob AH7I/W4

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be on the air but, I won't be using anything older than my TS850S, and may use an electronic keyer. After all, per ARRL SKN "Rules", it's not about the equipment, it's about the mode.

vy 73 es gl,
    Bryan WA7PRC

4. KB4K

KB4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe see you on 40! I work both bands but will probably start on 20. I never work anything other than A1, but the straight key or bug should be a hoot! Been a long time with the old hardware.
    Best 73's
    Gary

5. KB4K

KB4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bryan,
    That 850 is a great rig! I really liked some of the older Kenwood radios. I had a set of twins back when, and a 520. I was thinking of giving my FT101E a little exercise. It's sorta in the same class as your Kenwood. It's never seen action. You're right about the keys...it's supposed to be a fun non-contest rag chew event using whatever makes you happy! We could sure use more events like that. I have little interest in the "CQ-Test" overload these days. Seems like it serves little purpose and about bores me to tears! If I work you on SKN, have patience! I don't believe I can get my fist to crank 40 wpm???
    Best 73's
    Gary KB4K South Florida

6. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

40 HW 8- DX100.

7. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got an HG-10b vfo to go along with my HW-16. As soon as I have time to solder up a couple coax jumpers and get my HM-102 wattmeter in line, I will have successfully re-created my 1972 Novice station..and I even have the hand key I used back then!! Probably won't be on much New Year's eve, but just like last year I will get up in the morning and hit 40 meters. Even bought a pair of headphones so as not to disturb the sleepers in the house :)

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

HW-16 on 80/40/20 (modified) this year, paired with HG-10b, using 1939 Speed-X bug
    along with various straight keys. 100% "Snail Mail" with station photo QSL cards

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked the 850 so much, I bought a second. The R599/T599 twins were sure sexy looking. Sorry but, the Yaesu FT101s while great in their day, are nothing at all compared to the 850 and many other newer rigs. I also disagree about contesting. It can be as much fun as many other activities. I limit my speed to 35 wpm... most contesters run in the 20-30 wpm range.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

10. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be on with my Novice DX60 transmitter, not going "pure" Novice as I will be using the HG10 with it. on 80 a BC454, on the other bands I have to use my FT1000MP as a receiver as I have not found a Heath Comanche I can live with yet but just started looking a couple of months ago.. Also gave up using my novice SpeedX for a Vibroplex Deluxe I received for Christmas a couple of years ago and will be using it.

Straight key night.............A lot of fun operating.

11. KB4K

KB4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Paul,
    Be looking for you!
    Best 73's
    Gary KB4K

12. KB4K

KB4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Bryan,
    You're right about the technology of the rigs. I reckon beauty is in the eyes of the nut looking at it! As a newly elected Senior Citizen, you have to appreciate how hard it is to teach an old dog... I spent recent years doing micro substrate design and hi-tech fabrication. I can appreciate homogenized electronics to a point. Half of the bottom line for me is the measured performance on the test bench with precision laboratory equipment. The other half are the signal reports. Once in a while I'll connect the mic to one of the old Collins rigs. It never fails to amaze me...the exceptional audio quality is always reported first. I don't get that with the brand new technology rigs. Another funny thing...I can receive at almost any speed into the twilight zone, but sending has it's limitations for me. 25 - 30 wpm sends me into major dyslexia, go figger! See you New Years Eve!!!
    Best 73's
    Gary KB4K

13. KB4K

KB4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Dave,
    Love the call, and the quote!!! I'm gonna try for K4MeMeMe? I've continued with the snail mail QSL's also...something very impersonal about an electronic telegram! I have one of your 10-b VFO's around here somewhere, but I don't have the '16. That is such a sweet rig. Very classic and truly Amateur...CW at its purist! I can't remember if it has a provision for XTALs, I don't think so. Talk about being stuck in ancient kryptonite, I believe my Vibroplex is from the same era. I love my Western Electric AT&T brass pounder (circa 1886) because it makes me feel young. There's nothing like communicating using the language and tools of radio. However, there is something strenuous about waiting for the next character to finish! I have another dilemma regarding the numerous features wrapped into today's rigs. Even though I spent an entire career developing state-of-the-art electronics, I just don't have an interest in most of it...silly me!
    C U on SKN,
    Best 73's
    Gary KB4K

14. KB4K

KB4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Bob!
    Also heard from Dave, W7UUU, who is gonna fire up the same combo! I love that '16! Good deal on the '102 & straight key! It all makes me feel like a spark-gap radio operator aboard the Titanic! You know what happened to them??? We, as CW purists, have an understanding and appreciation of what radio is and how it works, and we never seem to get enough of that knowledge base! It took me about 7 years into a college career to figure out what Gauss's Law for electric fields was all about, and that only described what a charged particle is...seems like all that time could have been better spent partying at some fraternity house??? What's interesting and maybe a bit regressive, is that with all the new application "wrappers" rolled into the new "amateur" technology rigs, my interest and need for most of the hi-tech features just hasn't developed yet? I know one thing about your HW-16...even if the factory was still around, you wouldn't need to call them to fix it!
    Best 73's
    Gary KB4K South Florida

15. WI1G

WI1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll also be using my HW16 and rocks.
    Hope to hear other 16s on the air.
    John WI1G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.